Product Reviews > Kayaks > Crescent Kayak > Splash II Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Splash II Kayak by Crescent Kayak

10-16-2014

We purchased the Splash II after reading a number of reviews on multiple models. Traveled to the manufacturers plant to pick it up and had a quick tour of the facility.

Kayak paddles straight, is very stable, and has plenty of room and storage (we had a 2nd dry hatch put in). Kayak is heavy and does require 2 people to load/unload. It is extremely durable also.

Overall, we have been very happy with the Splash II and would definitely purchase again.

08-18-2014
Submitted by: AGSend Email

Great kayak for the money, handles very well, plugs work perfectly, but a little heavy to deal with. Grips on each side would be nice. I have a more expensive Cobra Tandem, it's lighter but doesn't handle as well. Tends to sway to the right. I would buy this one again.

06-01-2014
Submitted by: Mike Send Email

Bought the Crescent Splash 2 after looking at many other sit-on top kayaks. I love how the kayak has 3 molded seats for solo and tandem kayaking. Be careful shopping, some manufacturers say they have 3 molded seat but don't (Ocean Kayaks). It tracks well in all conditions maybe because of its weight(66lbs). My only con is that the kayak should have side handles to make getting on roof or into the water easier. My kids(13 & 18) love it. Love the cup holders(3). Would buy again.

07-27-2013
Submitted by: Steve Send Email

Love my Splash II , bought it bought out of the roto-molding warehouse where they outfitted it on the spot. It has a great integrated rudder so it tracks well in wind, its quite wide for good stability in the ocean.

The only real con is the weight, Runs like 80 lbs for the tandem. Great boats for the kids. Can easily paddle my twins and with 3 seats, the kids work out well.

04-21-2013

I live near the Carrolton, Ga. manufacturing plant and they gave me a tour before I purchased directly from there. Super staff. 14 color choices; great design; super price; can custom rig as you need; their seats are great; I stand up and fly fish; very stable; tracks well without a rudder; I use solo 80% and duo 20%; I have had dryer Yaks but you're going to get a little wet anyway; a little heavy but that's due to great width; I made a YAK cart from PVC parts and 2 wheels but have seldom used it; I did extensive research and SPLASH II is the best VALUE = price + quality.

04-08-2013
Submitted by: ASend Email

This review is for anyone interested in knowing how a Splash Two compares to other similar kayaks. First let me say that I own both a splash 1 and splash 2 and am very happy with both. Second let me say that you should not try to compare the Splash 2 to a touring or white water kayak. They are not in the same category. Third let me say that you should not compare a sit in to a sit on top; if you are looking at the Crescent Splash 2, I presume you are considering sit on tops. I also would like to say that this is not my first kayak and I have paddled very nice touring kayaks as well as recreational sit ins – No white water though.

OK so what I like. The price, considerably cheaper than other kayaks. Kayaks I considered: Liquid logic deuce coupe, Wilderness Tarpon 130T, Hobie odyssey and Kona and cobra double. What brought the splash 2 to the top, did I say price…oh yes! We wanted a kayak that could be paddled solo and also would fit three. The Splash is very comfortable for two adults and one child in the middle and extremely comfortable for two adults. It tracks well and for the type of kayak it moves along the water smoothly and fast (once again, do not compare to a touring kayak.) It handles the waves really well and it is fun. This kayak is also supper stable. At 34 inches wide it is very hard to tip it.

What I also like is that you can stand in it and paddle it like a stand up board or just get a better view around. Notice that if you stand up on it don’t let your kids rock the boat…you will land in the water but the boat will not tip. It has really well defined seating wells but you must get the seats for a really comfortable ride.

The other thing we like about the Splash 2 is how well designed the middle seat is. Most other kayaks just had a (rear end checks) holder with no defined back rest. Solo paddling is great. Compared to others this kayak has a good amount of storage and we had the factory put a second hatch in the front for additional storage. It works well.

The bad: It is heavy. At 70 pounds and 12 feet long it can be awkward to handle especially for one person. If you are using it in flat water I highly advise scupper plugs. We put it in the water without the plugs and three people and we had water come up and stay there. Unless you exceed 300 LBS solo paddling should be OK without the plugs.I weigh less than 150, solo paddling form me is fine without plugs. Any how I still recommend the plugs. Scupper plugs give you better buoyancy and keep you dry. If you are using in the ocean or class one or two rivers take the plugs out…you want the drainage and besides you are going to get wet anyways. The kayak is made of very good plastic and definitely competes with all the brand name kayaks out there.

Bottom line: I like it and if one thing I could change is that it would be a little lighter. Otherwise it is a fun boat for relaxing, exercising, taking the kids out, and more. I would even do a weekend camping trip in it. Are there other kayaks I would have preferred? Sure, but once again price and features made this our choice. Hope this helps anyone looking at the Crescents.

10-10-2012
Submitted by:

We recently purchased a Splash II Kayak from Crescent Kayaks and love it. We wanted a kayak that could be used solo or tandem for fishing or family fun. We love the kayak. My son has used it solo and tandem for fishing and we've taken it out with the younger kids. It tracks well and is great fun. The customer service at Crescent Kayaks was terrific and the price was great too.

10-03-2012
Submitted by: MikeSend Email

We currently own 4 different makes and models of kayaks. We purchased our Splash 2 in July and it immediately became the family favorite. It's stability and handling make it the first choice when we head out on the river. In the short time we have own it, the kayak has been used in a variety of settings. We have been fishing and paddling in the ocean, taken a couple of long river trips, and used it for our daily short paddles in the creek behind our house. When I replace one of our other kayaks, it will be with another Crescent Kayak.

10-03-2012
Submitted by: Jay P. Send Email

I purchased my first ever Crescent kayak; the 3 man Splash II. The kayak is a sturdy, easy to manage, competitively priced vessel. From the get go Zack patiently and expertly answered all of my questions. If all kayaks were the same (which they are not) I still would have done business with Crescent because of their excellent customer service and follow-up. Crescent Kayaks. Superior Products, superior service. A win, win.

09-26-2012
Submitted by: SamSend Email

Our family loves Crescent Kayak's Splash 2. We initially were looking at a pair of single sit-on-top kayaks from another brand, but decided to go with the Splash 2 since it could be used as a tandem kayak, or by one person in the extra middle seat.

So far it has been really durable and performed well. We've taken it out on nearly a dozen trips, and each time its been stable and easy to paddle out on the water. The best part about the kayak was the price. I saw comparable tandem kayaks going for nearly double what this one ran us. It comes in lots of cool colors too. We got a nice lime green one.

All in all, I'd highly recommend Crescent's Splash 2 to anyone that asked.

02-29-2012
Submitted by: gary Send Email

I personally own 2 Splash II outfitted for fishing; here is the run down.
Splash II is a heavy boat; available in a light weight version now, but at the time of my purchase it wasn't.
Very flexible
I highly recommend it to people; stable enough to stand in.
I enjoy taking my kids out in it; much easier to paddle than a canoe and more comfortable

10-17-2011
Submitted by: SteveSend Email

We bought a pair of these sit on tops directly from their factory in Carrollton, GA. They outfitted them right on the spot and the price from the factory can't be beat. We took these to Florida and proved to be very ocean worthy and great on the back waters too.

The Splash II has 3 molded seats it's great for me and my twins. Easily handles two adults and cargo. They track great in the wind. Also nice and wide, and extremely stable. You can even stand to fish.

The negatives: They weight in at 75lbs+ outfitting. A Kayak cart is a must for these babies. The wide beam can also make it difficult to rack these... I use a trailer so its not an issue, but they would be a beast on a car top.

05-25-2011
Submitted by: jmSend Email

I have the splash 2 and like it, I go with my wife and my son to the beach is very stable, easy paddle and is fast easy to handle, it has a lot of space to put coolers and stuff like that, I recommend this kayak the price is low and I have no complaints, and is very fun.

04-04-2011

I was looking for a stable kayak that I could use either as a tandem with my wife, or solo if my wife didn't want to paddle. We already have a tandem sit-inside that works well for when we both paddle but with non adjustable seats it wasn't suitable for solo paddling. Our last few camping trips to FL convinced me that a sit-on-top for use on the beaches and for easy climbing on and off for snorkeling would be a welcome addition to our fleet. After doing a lot of research I came across the Crescent Splash II, which is billed as a tandem kayak, yet has 3 seats so you can move to the center seat when paddling solo. We could also carry a small child in the center seat when we paddle tandem which would be impossible in our tandem sit-inside.

I've used the Splash II on 3 trips now. Two were on lakes and the latest was paddling 10 miles down the Chattahoochee river. The Splash II is very stable, and it paddles well. It also tracks straight due to it's built in "keel" so it worked well with my picture taking. The middle seat is probably just a little in front of the center of gravity, so if you don't have any gear in the back you are probably riding just a tad low in front, but that was not troublesome at all. We had steady winds yesterday on our outing but they did not affect our speed or direction much so this is much better in the wind than our canoe is. We have the optional high back "Seals" seats that are very comfortable and have brass clips that allow you to switch from tandem to solo easily.

The Splash II is heavier than most sit-inside kayaks but at 66 lbs seems to be average weight for tandem sit-on-tops. Although it weighs less than my old Scanoe, it does have the drawback of not having any side handles to help one person lift it or steady it after you lift it. I can get the kayak up on my shoulders and carry it easy enough but without handles on the sides to hold onto while doing that it's pretty unmanageable. I temporarily solved the problem by wrapping one of my tie-down straps around the center and that gives me something to hold onto and maneuver easier when it's on my shoulders. I plan to install two handles that I ordered on the sides to solve this oversight.

Overall, compared to other tandem sit-on-tops I think this is an excellent value and hope to have many happy trips on lakes, rivers, and beaches.