Product Reviews > Kayaks > Pelican International > Apex 100 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Apex 100 Kayak by Pelican International

Apex 100 Kayak by Pelican International

Length: 10' 0" - Width: 30.00" - Starting at: $289.99
See More Details about this Kayak
Pelican International Logo

09-26-2014
Submitted by: TimSend Email

We just purchased two Apex 100 kayaks for recreational use. They worked great on trip from a slow smooth river into Puget Sound where they were stable and maneuverable, and we had no problems keeping up with friends in sea kayaks. We also used them to float the class 2 Snoqualmie River with our daughters. Two were in the Pelicans and two in an Advanced Elements Dragon Fly tandem. Everyone preferred the Pelicans. Iím 5-10 190lbs and my wife and daughters are 5-0 to 5-3 110lbs and they worked fine for all of us. Great value for what we enjoy doing.

09-03-2014

The Pelican Apex 100 was my starter Kayak, and at under $200 it was a good choice among the other cheaper boats. The Apex has a decent hull design compared to the other boats in its price range. It was very stable under my 200 lbs. + gear but still moved better than my friend's massive barge like Tamarack kayak. It was also much lighter and easier to carry, load and unload from the truck.

At this price, negatives should be taken with a grain of salt. The molded in side carry handles are not great, so I added a true strap style on one side. I also added a paddle holder and a front bungee net (that I really didn't need or use).

The hull was tuff, it held up great scrubbing rocks in low water in my local river run with just cosmetic scratches. It got dragged, banged and run aground hard with me in it and it was fine.

I'd recommend this to anyone starting out. I used it for river running to fishing on big water and it was really capable. Compared to a better boat it could track better and it isn't very fast, but it wasn't bad enough to ruin a day on the water. Until my buddy got a faster boat I wasn't planning on buying anything else, but getting left behind got old fast! If I only went out alone, I'd still own this boat!

08-21-2014

My family recently bought a couple of the Pelican Apex 100 Sit On Tops for the adults in our family to use. They are so easy to steer and maintain your balance. I especially like these, the cut the water beautifully and handle well even for beginners.

08-11-2014
Submitted by: Chris whiteheadSend Email

great small boat very stable I added 2 flush mount rod holders and a storage hatch in front of the seat and mounted a Lowrance depth finder also. The 10' length is very easy to handle in the water and out. The Ram-X hull is very tough and will take a beating; I love this boat

07-18-2014
Submitted by: SheldonSend Email

So far I have taken this kayak out on a calm lake as well as the ocean. It did great in both situations. Very stable and fairly lightweight. I definitely recommend it.

07-05-2014
Submitted by: Tyler FSend Email

I Got the Apex 100 Angler for an awesome 199$ price at Dicks Sporting Goods on a boat sale. For a beginner boat on a budget, this would be the absolute minimum i would recommend for a sit on top.

Pros:
-Stable. you seriously have to intentionally flip this thing over. I've been out in choppy lake waters, and got hit by some serious wake from jerk boaters, and if anything riding the "surf" made it more fun.
-Lightweight, I put this on my roofrackless civic with foam boogie boards and ratcheting straps, easily by myself carried to and from the water.
-Gear space, I can throw all my fishing shit in the back, 2 rod holders are nice, the bungee cords are pretty legit. could use a small bungee area in the front, may do this myself.
-Has a lot of spots to attach cleats, anchor trollys, more rod holders, and other accessories. Also can add a well if you're a good craftsman.

Cons
-Tracking. everyone says this, and I'll vouch for it. give it 20 seconds and you'll be turning in a strange direction. an anchor trolly would fix this. But for now i just dip my paddle in for a second to adjust, when i stop to relax. fishing gets a little tough when you have to keep paddling to stay straight.
-Seat. my lowerback always hurts when i use this thing. I usually stop and stretch every 45 minutes or so to fix that. I'm thinking of ways to currently fix this seat, or attach a new one.

Overall, this thing is very fun to get out and paddle around. Def worth the money.

07-03-2014
Submitted by: JohnSend Email

Not a bad yak for the money I have owned on now for almost 4 years of pretty hard abuse! And still in very good shape. Only complaint I have is that the factory seat was not very comfortable had to install my own, other than that no complaints

08-07-2013
Submitted by: MKwanSend Email

A great little relatively inexpensive recreational entry-level boat. Very stable and with good capacity for a boat of this size. As I have suspected even before I used it, tracking isn't good because of it's short length. I though a skeg might just make some significant improvement. So I modified a skeg originally for the Advanced Element Airfusion and attached it through the hole at the stern of the Apex with some modification and reinforcement of the hole, etc. Walla! Now this little boat tracks like my 15 footer! I love it.
Bottom line: a skeg of some sort will definitely help the tracking.

08-05-2013

I got the ten ft. Kayak for fathers day this past year from Dicks Sporting goods. The first time we went on the river I knew that this was a winner. Tracking is good and in a choppy sea it's better. They say that this is for the person less than 185 but I have friends that have used it and it was fine with over 250 plus man.

The kayak is easy to paddle and there room for lunch and drinks in the back as well. Best part about this kayak is the clean up a little soap and water and it's ready for the next trip I use this one when I am just running off for a quick paddle (I also have a 12 Woodduck) this keeps it simple. Try it and you'll see.

07-24-2013

Great beginner Kayak. Turns and handles, but tracking is not as great. Was the wife's first Kayak, and great for her to learn, but now passing it down to my 11 year old, who handles it quite well.

01-29-2013
Submitted by: PappySend Email

I enjoy this kayak each time I put it on the lake. It's a basic yak without the added options (easily added) and it is light enough to carry over your head or in one hand at your side. There are convenient molded-in carry handles on both sides and the kayak seems well balanced when you need to use them. There are carry handles on each end as well.

I like the built-in footrest over my other kayak's adjustable footrest rails. I enjoy being able to easily change leg & foot positions any time I need to get more comfortable. This is a dry kayak that tracks & glides well. It also turns on a dime with ease. I use a Werner Shuna 215cm paddle and have a fairly high angle stroke and this boat will flat get it done. Plus, I was able to buy it locally for under $300 at The Academy.

I bought this kayak because it was so different than my Heritage Angler 10' (which is awesome too). The Apex 100 is just sportier. I will be purchasing a 12-14' kayak as my third boat and I am glad that I will have the Apex 100 for our guests to enjoy on the lake. I recommend it.

08-02-2012

I just bought this boat for my 13year old and he loves it. We took a 7-mile trip down the river and he was all over it picking up trash and bottles. It handled like a dream. This was his 2nd time in a kayak, and first time in a sit on top. It's light enough he can carry it about 50 yds by himself. This boat tracks well, easy to maneuver, and fun to play with. I will recommend this boat to a friend

07-28-2011

Bought this canoe not really knowing what I was getting since i really don't know that much about canoes. I'm a big guy and probably come close to maxing out the weight limits and was worried, but I got it at a steal and figured if it didn't work out, I'd keep it around for my son when he was in town.

First of all, I shouldn't have been so worried. This is a VERY stable Kayak. When I got the Kayak, I first put it in my swimming pool so I could get a feel of the canoe, how far I can go before it rolls, etc. I was surprised, I almost had to intentionally tip the canoe over. It's very stable. Next to Rhodes Pond, same thing. The canoe is stable, tracks well (from my beginner standpoint anyway).

IMO, this canoe is an excellent starter canoe, for someone just getting into the sport, not wanting to sink a lot of dollars and is a real confidence builder for a newbie. I can see the day when I'll probably want another better performing kayak. But for a starter kayak, this little boat can't be beat.

02-02-2011
Submitted by: BillySend Email

This Kayaks is the best. It's light not bulky and it's easy to use.

Rendezvous River Sports