Product Reviews > Accessories > Carlisle Magic Plus Kayak Paddle Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Carlisle Magic Plus Kayak Paddle

Research Paddles in the Buyers' Guide!
Paddles
View Paddles in Buyers' Guide

10-26-2012

I have a 220cm Magic Plus. It has one of the best blade shapes and the worst ferrule. The shaft cannot handle the power generated by the blades and slowly works loose at the joint. It only took 3 trips on less than 3 miles each for this to develop

09-06-2011
Submitted by: DanielSend Email

I'll start out by saying that this is a nice paddle for the price. It is light weight compared to aluminum paddles and still feels sturdy. The blade design is curved which seems to help paddle faster on flat water, but I think a straight blade would be better in whitewater.

The paddle is a two piece and gives the option of rotating 45 degrees forward or back. This is somewhat limiting compared to higher in paddles that allow you to feather the blade at any angle you wish. There is also a little bit of play where the ends meet (paddle rotates a little bit when locked in) since the connection is not locked in super tight. This hasn't been an issue in real world use though.

All things considered, this is a nice paddle for the price. It is a great option for your average rec paddler and should last for years. There are better paddles out there with tighter tolerances and fancier designs but you will have to pay a considerable amount for it.

08-20-2010
Submitted by: ABSend Email

I've used this paddle for 4 years now, probably 150 hrs of paddling; all flat water. I've only owned one other paddle, a Carlisle aluminum shaft. I'm a vigorous paddler, and there's never been a problem. It has a wrapped fiberglass shaft with glass-filled polyprop. blades. Carlisle's website says this is lighter than their Day Tripper but I have both and this feels slightly heavier. I think it's stronger than the aluminum D/T, and the fiberglass shaft flexes, giving a stronger stroke. I also like the color (red/yellow blades). For the money (I think I paid $60 as it was a leftover) it's a great product, so I recommend this paddle. Put some Yakgrips on it, and your hands will thank you.

Advanced Elements: