Product Reviews > Kayaks > Feelfree Kayak, USA > Moken 12 Standard Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Moken 12 Standard Kayak by Feelfree Kayak, USA

09-05-2014

The best way to bring a Feelfree kayak to the water is using the attached wheel. People are always jealous of the attached WHEEL in the keel of the kayak. And, I love center console for all my snacks and birdie food for all my nature kayak trips. This is why I love kayaking!!!

07-21-2010
Submitted by: mdSend Email

I recently purchased a pair of Moken 12 Standard kayaks, one red and one orange. Additionally, I had the shop install a set of pad eyes along the bow walls so that a second seat for my 3 year old daughter could be clipped in.

I love these kayaks for several reasons and would recommend them to any one. I use mine for fishing, exploring rivers, streams, beaches, coastal areas, and springs, as well as snorkeling.

The positives of the Moken 12 are:
  1. The wheel in the rear works great in all but the loosest of beach sand.
  2. They are light enough (58lbs) for me to pick up by myself easily and even haul overhead.
  3. The molded handles on every side are a dream and make portage, re-entry and control super easy. I even run my anchor line through the front handle.
  4. There is tons of storage. The flip up hatch is perfect for the things you need a lot but need to keep dry, (e.g., GPS, map, cell phone). The in hull storage has a large round access and net. I have not had to drain either kayak even after more than 2 dozen trips. They are bone dry inside.
  5. The bow and stern storage decks are also great. I carry my 40lb, 3 yr old in mine (or my 22lb dog).
  6. Very stable and fast. They do not seem stable at first but once you play with them for a while you realize they are quite hard to tip. I can stand in mine and cast if the water isn't to rough. I also move back and forth on it to hand my kid snacks and sunscreen, etc. The boats are very fast for SOTs. A few hard stokes and you are really moving. I have gotten over 8mph in mine. I average about 3mph without the family.
  7. The flip up padded seats are 'SAHWEET' and the boat stays dry...if you want it too (mine rarely does with a 3yr old).
The only negative comment I have so far is on the tracking. I am somewhat new to kayaking (at least owning) but this boat seems to want to turn into a moving current constantly and you have to adjust to keep it tracking straight. It does not come with a keel.

Overall I give it an 8.99 as a family kayak. We got two and I carry the kid as opposed to just getting one "divorceyak" a.k.a tandem.
Hope this helps, Feel Free to write me if you have more questions.