Product Reviews > Kayaks > Current Designs > Zone SOT Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Zone SOT Kayak by Current Designs

Rated: 7.5/10 Based On: 2 Reviews

08-23-2010
Submitted by: Flip5Send Email

I am 6'9" 250lbs with a 38" inseam and size 15 shoes -- no SINK for me. Bought the Zone 2nd hand in May for 1/2 retail price as a replacement for my OK Prowler 15. It is in mint condition. I was looking for a higher performance SOT for ocean kayaking and longer distance trips.

Due to some short-term health issues I have been unable to spend too much time on the water this season. However, I have gotten out enough to share the following observations thus far: This is a well built boat. Very good fit and finish. Hatches are very well constructed--rear tank well is open with a net--well engineered, but a hatch might have been better. Initially, I found the boat to be very tippy compared to the OK Prowler with its soft chined hull. However, after a few minutes and some lose hips that feeling dissipates. This is a very fast boat--almost surf-ski like. It is designed for fast long distance touring. It does not turn exceptionally well, but for its length and hull design it performs as intended.

I replaced the existing rudder control system with the Smart Track Toe Pilots. After some major re-engineering (a long story) they were installed and greatly improved my ability to handle the boat. My center of gravity was lowered with the addition of 1-2" of leg extension and now having the benefit of a firm brace point for the feet is key.

If you are tall and/or are looking for a higher performance SOT this could be the boat for you. Other than a handful of the more "exotic"/ boutique SOTs from S. Africa, this is probably one of your best choices.

03-24-2010

No Zone for me. Having just paddled the Tarpon for several hours, the Zone just didn't seem to offer me enough extra to spend $2K. I kept thinking about the many times I have hit stumps and stayed in the Tarpon, but would have been out of the Zone, not to mention what rocks and oysters would do to the hull.

The biggest issue with the Zone is it turns like the Queen Mary, even with the rudder. I'm sure experience would improve that, but not enough to paddle up the Weeki Wachi.