Product Reviews > Kayaks > Airis Kayaks by Walker Bay > Angler Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Angler Kayak by Airis Kayaks by Walker Bay

Kayaks Image Kayaks Image Kayaks Image

10-11-2011
Submitted by: CraigSend Email

I've had an Airis Angler for over 2 years now. I use it nearly every weekend, to kayak and fish in reservoirs, rivers, coastal lagoons and the ocean around Puerto Rico. This is a great kayak. I can even stand up in it to fly cast, it is so stable in calm waters. One of the first improvements I made to it was to install a swivel seat on the aluminum platform.

In contrast to one of the reviewers, I have found the construction and durability to be absolutely first rate. It has a few scratches, sure -- I've used it hard, and have had to drag it over sand and it's made contact with rocks and corals on occasion. But the only 2 leaks have been from my errors with fish hooks. Easily repaired. I love this kayak, and when it eventually wears out, I would buy a new one in a heartbeat.

06-17-2010

This is a follow-up review of my earlier review of the Aris Angler inflatable I purchased.
Well a couple of months have passed and I had been using my boat on a regular daily basis until last week. It seems that every time the boat just touches the floating dock (or anything) the PVC hull of my boat retains scratches! I'm not rough with it but just docking/launching the boat from the dock causes serious cuts and scratching along the sides. The damage is so bad that I acquired a small leak that I had to patch. I have to try and paint the boat with PVC paint to fill in the scratches as I don't feel safe any longer with this boat in the water. Believe me, I'm not one to complain but everyone I talk to at the dock tells me that my situation should not happen.

So, with regrets I have to rate this boat with 'insight'; the quality of this model is not good and I would not recommend anyone to purchase this model. The material is of poor quality. The seams along both sides of the boat and everywhere are all showing the glue and have discolored! I've gotten to where I just don't trust this boat any longer on the water and will use as a $1049.00 (the amount I paid for this boat) as a pool toy.

Okay, lessons learned. A pretty costly lesson for a retired man on a fixed income but worse is the fact that not only am I out my investment, I can no longer kayak everyday which is what I really enjoyed. It was good for my soul and my health. This is not a quality boat and not dependable on the water.

Oh yes, I received an email from someone at ARIS customer service; they don't have a clue why this is happening. BTW, I used the kayak paddling on a lake and on the Gulf, there was no abuse on my part. I take excellent care of my personal items, i.e. I still have my 1998 VW Jetta in perfect shape as it looked 12 years ago when driven off the show room floor...

I rate this inflatable boat as 'POOR' and would not recommend anyone to purchase.

03-22-2010

The Angler is a great kayak and fits my needs. I use it in coastal bay area and lake which opens into the bay area. Just as advertised: Unfold out of its pack, inflate (okay here's the part where you have to put a little muscle in pumping as this boat takes 6.5 psi) strap in the seat and you're off.

PROS:
Tracking - Stays straight in flat water and easy to maneuver.
Speed: I was extremely surprised how fast this kayak moves in the water and how she takes on the waves breaking in front of me.
Stability - Very easy for me to enter/exit. With a little I was able to stand in the kayak!

CONS
On my maiden voyage the scupper located in the center of the floor board where the drink holder is located leaks. The water started slowly filling up the drink holder area. After about an hour of paddling the water started to over-flow into the drink cup area (floor board in center of kayak between my legs) and I began to worry. I was able to paddle to a public kayak dock where I lifted the kayak out of the water and noticed the water leaking from the scupper. I tried to secure the scupper and placed the boat back in the water and noticed air bubbles coming from the scupper and after trying to tighten it again and again it just kept on leaking. I had no choice but to use the repair kit that comes with the kayak and seal the bottom of the kayak to prevent the water from leaking into the scupper and was able to paddle my way back home.

I'm not upset as these things happen when you're on the water but was very glad that I carried along the repair kit that Airis supplies. The PROs outweigh that one bad incident. I'm very happy with this kayak and it is a pleasure to paddle. It's a great cruiser while touring the coastal bay area and lakes.

Airkayaks.com
New & demo Advanced Elements & Airis inflatable kayaks. Great prices, fast shipping! Intl. inquiries welcome!