Product Reviews > Kayaks > RTM Kayaks and Canoes > Tempo Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Tempo Kayak by RTM Kayaks and Canoes

Rated: 8.83/10 Based On: 6 Reviews

07-27-2013
Submitted by: TzTerriSend Email

I've been paddling my RTM Tempo for about three years now. My decision to buy this kayak was based on what I would be using it for which was paddling the waterways where I live and using it for snorkeling in the ocean.

So far this kayak has exceeded my expectations. As a platform for snorkeling it can't be beat with its ability to carry all my snorkel gear with room left over. The huge front hatch is great for carrying my dry bags and the storage area in the rear easily holds all my snorkel gear and can also hold a dive tank if I should start diving again.

I was a but apprehensive about being able to keep up with my kayakers in their sit-in kayaks when paddling the waterways but this has proven not to be a problem as I'm often at the head of the pack.

When kayaking out to the islands this kayak easily holds a cooler, chair and all the other stuff that I like to take with me for a day spent partying on one of the islands. It also handles rough water very well.

To sum it up I can't say enough good things about this kayak.

06-10-2012
Submitted by: Brian NagleSend Email

I am 6'3" tall with size 13 feet. With that said I find my knees higher in the air than I would like, feet are at the last position, wish that there was one more foot adjustment forward to lower knees. I had the RTM Disco before getting the Tempo. Tempo is much more stable kayak for my size and weight. No surprises. I am more confident in the Tempo than the Disco.

07-16-2010
Submitted by: Atan24Send Email

Got an RTM Tempo angler, used twice in flat swell, tracks well in normal swell, but need rudder when cruising against wind and sea current, slap in the hull when swell is coming at your 11 and 1 O'clock, its almost a dry ride except for the RTM paddle that comes with it that drips a lot of water to the cockpit or just my paddling, I'm 5'7 tall and 70 kg, stability is perfect for me unlike our cobra eliminator that I have to balance a bit to stay upright. rod holder is great used it and I'm satisfied, front hatch is wonderful load all my stuff inside including my 2 pc. fishing rod, aesthetics is just fine got mine with camo green and light brown might change the paint later, deck is just your average sit on top, will be installing round hatch on the deck later, for my size i find it easy to load on the roof of my Mitsubishi with out any assistance, but find it heavy for my size to carry, to paddle the boat to my fishing spot was just average as I find it more easier to paddle our cobra eliminator, over all I'm very satisfied, except for the hull I find it very thin compared to her deck and easily bend when loading with out the scupper holes hull will be like coke can. the rest is fine.

06-11-2010
Submitted by: vb

I got the RTM Tempo from eBay. Took it to a local reservoir for fishing. Before the trip, I outfitted the kayak with 2 rear flush-mount rod holders, and a front Scotty rod holder. While doing so, I realized the material used on the kayak is high quality, and thicker than my OK Sidekick. Yet, I'm amazed it weighs only 56 lbs.

On the water, it is fast, straight, and quiet. It was a pleasure rowing this kayak. Needless to say, it is now my preferred ride. On the downside, albeit ignorable, water filled the foot wells while drifting. However, the water problem should be eliminated by using a pair of scupper plugs which came with the kayak. The kayak is great value for your money, and fun to ride. I highly recommend this boat.

09-09-2009

I bought the Tempo to dive and fish off of and as a loaner boat it has performed all these tasks well. Its got very good speed for a plastic sot, plenty of stability for a beginner even with a slightly raised seat. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this boat

08-31-2009
Submitted by: bhaskellSend Email

This is a first impressions review of the RTM Tempo Angler. The kayak is 15' long and 26" wide. The total weight of the yak is 55lbs. I'm 6' and 205lbs and the cockpit is a perfect fit for me. My feet fit firmly against the end of the foot well fully extended. The hull is the identical mold used for the legendary Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro series, the top deck has been modified from the OK design.

The kayak has a nice large front hatch, room in the center of the cockpit for a small hatch, rod holder or GPS. The rear of the kayak has a descent sized tank well with cargo net cover to secure your items. The seat area sits deep into the kayak and provides great lumbar support. On the water, the Tempo tracks very nice compared to my OK Scrambler XT and my Perception Sanibel. The kayak takes little effort to get moving and glides very well for a SOT. The hull has just enough rocker that is turns very easily for a long yak, very characteristic of the Scupper Pro. Paddling into the wind or cross wind affects the kayak very little.

I was able to pick up the yak brand new for $600 including high-back padded seat and paddle. For the price, there are few kayaks that would compare. RTM offers a 3 year warranty on the yak, which is pretty good. Based on the build quality, I don't foresee needing to use it. Anyone who has paddled a Scupper Pro, should be quite comfy in the Tempo. I have read that some paddlers thought the boat was a bit tippy, but I'm not professional paddler, but I was right at home in this yak. Being 6' tall, my center of gravity is higher then most, so those shorter should feel even more comfortable. The nice thing about this yak is that compared to there boats in this class, WS Tarpon 140, Emotion Grand Slam and the Red Fish, this boat is about 15lbs lighter. Did I mention all of the deck loops, paddle holder, built in rod holders, and perimeter deck line. For the price of this boat, why buy a used one?

On a side note, RTM is a french company who used to make boats for Ocean Kayak before they were bought by Johnson Marine. The same high quality plastics and rotomolds are used.
I will post an updated review once I get more time in the yak, but first impression on the lake have me very excited for more time in this yak.

Lasso Security Cables: