Product Reviews > Kayaks > Old Town Canoe > Vapor 12 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Vapor 12 Kayak by Old Town Canoe

03-18-2012
Submitted by: bill row a lotSend Email

purchased this kayak in July '10. I paid about 380 dollars for it. This boat tracks and glides pretty easily; effortlessly. This is my first kayak and I think I choose well and feel lucky to have the 12 foot model. I plowed into 1 foot swells down the lower James River this fall during a in coming hurricane agaist the wind. To spite the high wind and rough water i confidently paddled couple miles out of downtown Richmond: felt like Chuck Norris.

11-07-2011
Submitted by: AdamSend Email

After much research and review, I bought this yak... it tracks very well, is easy to maneuver and the seat is much more comfortable than others I had tried (Swifty, Pelican Sundance, etc.) Can't wait to take it out again

09-21-2011
Submitted by: sgbSend Email

I bought 2 of these. Overall I am very happy. My ONLY complaints are the seat is not very comfortable and I plan to get some seat cushions, and if you get any water in the boat, it is impossible to get it out.

08-23-2011
Submitted by: HHBSend Email

For the price, I think it's hard to beat the OT Vapor 12. The cockpit is very roomy. The built-in paddle holders are a nice touch as is the easily adjustable seat back. I velcroed foam cushions to the seat bottom and the seat back and greatly improved the comfort for very little money. The boat tracks fairly well and is very stable. It's a fairly "bare-bones" kayak, but I added deck rigging, paddle clips, and the above-mentioned foam seat cushions to make it a little bit nicer for not a lot of money.

All in all, I'm very happy with my Vapor 12... it's a great beginner kayak without making a huge investment. I feel that we all think nowadays that we just HAVE to have the latest, greatest and most expensive of whatever it is that we are currently "in to" and later on, when the newness has worn worn off, we are left with an expensive "toy" sitting around that no longer thrills us. With the Vapor 12, a little money will get you a lot of enjoyment and you can always upgrade later on if your interest still remains high.

All in all, I'm very happy with my Vapor and would recommend it to others who are interested in kayaking.

08-09-2011
Submitted by: DRGSend Email

We bought this for $349 at Cabelas. We use it on Deer Creek and Jourdanelle Reservoirs. It tracks nicely and is easy to use. I did buy the 240 CM oars because it does have a higher side wall and I would hit my knuckles with the 230 CM oars. My wife finds it easy to use also.

10-05-2010

The Vapor 12 is our second kayak. After fishing my wife out of the St. Francis River when our Pamlico tandem capsized last spring, I thought she'd never try the sport again. However, the Vapor 12 is about as stable as it gets. Easy to get in and out and tracks straight. So now we're a couple of happy kayakers again. I use the Pamlico as a single and she joins me in the Vapor. As a side note--tandem kayaking is so over-rated. Don't we all want to be "captain" of our own ship?

06-08-2010
Submitted by: Jason

I do not own this boat, but I recently rented one for a 33 mile overnight trip down the Greenbrier River from Seebert to Keister. I am 6'7" 300 pounds, and I have always had terrible luck with hard boats. I have to say that this was by far the best experience I have had with a hard kayak. There was plenty of room for my large frame, including all my gear. This was an overnight trip, so I had my camping gear, drinks, food, cooler, etc. I could fit everything and still not exceed the weight limit! It was a great experience. I went right through the meat of class 3 Tumbling Rock Rapid with not a problem. Great tracking and stability. After seeing the price, I am sold! I want one of my own!

05-14-2010
Submitted by: RickySend Email

I got the base model Vapor 12 at Dick's Sporting Goods. They had the 12 for the same price as the 10, $379. After a $10 off coupon I had the boat for $369. Not a bad deal.
    Pros:
  • Stylish look.
  • Large cockpit, big enough for me and my 2 year old son.
  • Stable.
  • Tracks nicely, even in the wind.
  • Nice fore and aft carry handles.

Cons:

• Base model has an open deck well. Carrying a small rubbermaid container will keep things dry.
  • No deck bungees.
  • Thigh padding is almost worthless.
  • Plastic edge along cockpit is sharp.
Fixes:
I placed some rubber auto edging around the inside of the cockpit to soften the edges. My pain concern was my son cutting himself on the plastic. It is also uncomfortable to pick up the kayak with the sharp edge. I plan on doing my own deck bungees and a set of bungees over the deck well.

Overall:
I like the kayak. For the price I feel like I did pretty good. I was having a hard time finding a 12 foot kayak in my price range that could perform and have enough room for me and my son. If I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat!

08-06-2009

Traded in my OT Loon 138 as it was getting heavier each year. Got the Vapor 12 basic. This is an amazingly cheap boat, cheap seat, no bungee cords, etc, but exactly what I was looking for. Added a drain hole, bungee cords fore & aft, padded seat, and better cockpit coaming and now it's a pretty decent boat all for under $400.

Tracks well and very stable. Suggest the 12' rather than the 10' sold in most stores, as the 12' tracks better and the extra deck handles waves and mild whitewater so much better.