Product Reviews > Kayaks > Future Beach > Trophy 144 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Trophy 144 Kayak by Future Beach

Rated: 8.64/10 Based On: 11 Reviews

Trophy 144 Kayak by Future Beach

Length: 12' 0" - Width: 30.50" - Starting at: $749.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Future Beach Logo

06-30-2014
Submitted by: T ReeckSend Email

I love my 144 kayak Sportsmens addition sent from the day I got it right side foot rest was not in there and when I come back to the star he said he take care of it that was Dick's Sporting Goods in Toledo on nobody ever took care anything and I broke my back in the meantime so now it's especially him

03-11-2014
Submitted by: RobSend Email

I purchased this kayak 2 years ago for small river paddling here in Michigan. I had two issues right out of the gate, I broke a foot pedal on the first trip out. The dealer I got it from was great about the problem. They offered to replace the pedal for free but said that I would probably have the same problem. Instead, they gave me a set of Pelican replacement foot rests and rails which I installed and had no more issues. Then the bulkhead leaked like everyone's apparently has. I managed to use some polyurethane caulk to seal it with success.

I have now taken this yak on more than a dozen trips including two overnight river trips down the AuSable River. It was able to carry me (210 lbs) and all the gear for me and my oldest son without any issue. It tracks straight and is stable enough that I can sit on top of just behind the seat back and still float down the river. The only other thing I would say is that the seat back does not offer enough support. I remedy this by putting my floatation seat between the seat back and the hull.

Overall, it has been a true value! Looking forward to ice out and a trip to Turnip Rock!

07-26-2013

The Future Beach 144 Trophy and Angler is the most stable sit on top kayak. The storage well has a large well to store rods and gear. The back deck allows you to store even more gear. Built in bungees along both side allow to strap your gear to Kayak. It's a great introductory sot for anyone getting started.

03-13-2012
Submitted by: rjrSend Email

I purchased this great kayak last year in the early summer. I used it on 5 or 6 trips on the Grand River in Michigan. Today our weather was great so I knocked of the winter dust and put her in at Holly Recreation area.

This kayak is a very stable boat. I find 1-2 foot waves are no problem for the craft. The price I paid on sale last year was 279.99 and a real bargain for what you get. I have yet to fish with the yak but that will take place this June when I will take her to Isle Royale and carefully and cautiously explorer the edges and islands of this great national park. I feel confident with this stable and sea worthy kayak. I have no real negative issues other than the seat and it's back are not good at all. I modified it, added pad and a 10-11" back support - rest that I can adjust for my old / bad back.... that is why I drop to a nine out of ten...

A great kayak for me...and a super bargain..... Mine is tan... I think they made the 144 trophy in olive as well....

12-08-2011
Submitted by: EbenSend Email

I have had this kayak now for 6 months, taking it out every sunday for a few hours. I am a beginner in the truest sense. From my vantage point it is a perfect starter for kayak fishing. Without any experience/training I managed to get out on the water, have never tipped over, even in 2 feet swells on Lake Lewisville (TX), have had no problems getting out of the way of speeding boats and comfortably fish using one or two rods. I am planning on adding a Scotty Fishrod holder and maybe a fishfinder when I can afford it.

When it gets closer to summer I plan on taking it out for a camping trip - I have simulated a camping load already and it easily fits a Coleman 4-man sundome tent with tons of storage room to spare for other gear. I'll need space for food, as catching it might be a challenge for me.

If you are looking at getting out on the water instead of fishing by land, and/or getting some exercise this is a very good kayak to start with. I have never used a $500+ model bit for $350 at west marine I feel I got an excellent deal for something that gets me out of the house and a few hours a week away from children and the office.

I'm sure the more expensive models track 10% or 15% better and have more gadgets but if you are a once a week social kayaker - this is the best!!!

I'm 6 ft, weigh 180 lbs can carry it around without breaking my back (though it is 58lbs) and cannot see myself breaking any part of this kayak unless I take an axe to it.

08-26-2011
Submitted by: VervilleSend Email

I enjoy this kayak very much, I use it every week and I get great enjoyment out of it. I have a few problems with it though, one of my foot pegs has snapped off, the rear hatch isn't sealed and I can't find a spray guard that will stay on it. The rim for the spray guard to attach on isn't deep enough and before you spend money on one make sure you can get it to stay on.

03-01-2011
Submitted by: DerekSend Email

The good:
Tracks well, has rod holders, scupper holes, dihedral hull, dry well does stay dry......however, buy some thread tape for a dollar for the screw hatches.

The bad:
Weak handles, over 60 lbs.,

Overall:
I got this boat at Dicks for 300 dollars. There is no better SOT fishing yack for 300 dollars. I have taken this boat over 100 miles and there are no flaws in it. The front well is big, and can hold a lot. I think it holds over 400 pounds... that's a lot.
I am very happy that I bought it.

08-02-2010
Submitted by: CbrownSend Email

Stability...Like other reviewers I found this kayak to be amazingly stable. The hull moves bouncy to the sides. I can come out of the seat and sit behind the opening on the back and paddle nice on long trips to change positions. Easy to get back into if you fall out. I can't imagine rolling in this kayak.

Tacking....Tracking and turning in a kayak without a rudder are, in my experience, mutually exclusive. This one tracks great. I didn't notice it being easily turned by the wind.

Turning...I have an Old Town Otter that turns on a dime, this kayak takes at least twice the effort to turn. Not meant for whitewater.

Speed.... Again, like other reviewers I noticed that this kayak was slow compared to others like the Old Town Otter.

Comfort....Given how much I like this kayak and the fact that I got a great deal, this is one I was able to over look, but if youíre paying full price ($600+) it's a problem. The back rest is very short and the seat isn't all that ergonomic.

Quality...The foam insert in my kayak was also blown out. This is a concern in deep water as without the rear watertight compartment it could sink. The backrest frayed apart the second time I used it. The plastic on this boat is thick and (relatively) soft and gouges easy, though the bottom design keeps much of the scratches concentrated on two ridges that run the length of the boat.

Overall it's a great fishing platform if you can get it under $400. Lots of storage and tie downs and two rod holders. Over $400 I would expect that the Patriot Perception or Old Town Dirgo could be found on clearance and may give this boat a run for itís money. I LOVE the stability and I'm able to overlook the speed and turning issues, even at full price. Stability is truly the hallmark of this kayak and I donít think the other kayaks mentioned are as stable. The problems I will fix by jury rigging the seat and fixing the water tight rear. A great deal for me at $315 (Dicks on clearance). I like it for the price, but honestly I would have been disappointed at full price.

09-11-2009
Submitted by: Fish-CrazySend Email

I bought the 12 foot long Trophy 144 after researching and shopping around for a fishing kayak. The Trophy had a lot of features such as rod holders, tons of storage space, and a rear compartment that is sealed with a watertight foam barrier.It was by far the best deal I could find. Had all of the features I was finding on kayaks from Old Town, Perception and Wilderness Systems that cost $200 more.

The performance of this kayak is great. Their brochure talks about a dihedral hull that helps with stability and performance and from what I can see they are exactly right. I'm a big guy, 6'0" and 220 pounds and the Trophy 144 is comfortable and stable and paddles great. It's not the lightest or fastest kayak I have ever owned, but I'm fishing not racing and this kayak fits my needs exactly.

I saw a Trophy 126 at Dick's and might pick up this kayak for my 12 year old son. He fishes with me out of a boat, but never out of a kayak. I'd feel good about him fishing out of a Trophy because of the stability and solid construction.

08-14-2009

This kayak is great, it is very stable. Exactly what you what in a fishing boat. The down side is it's slower than most boats. I got this kayak for my birthday and I love it so much. It is a great learning boat. In the other review the bulkhead was not sealed and that was true on my boat too, but nothing a little caulk can't fix. Once fixed the the boat has proved to be very durable.

07-29-2009

Well, initially I was impressed with the array of features on this kayak. Nice handles, drains, two hatches, fishing pole holders. However the first thing I noticed was that the area of the rear hatch (which was supposed to be sealed) wasn't sealed; the foam had loosened and was no longer watertight. I was willing to overlook this because I thought I had gotten a pretty good deal on it.

I noticed the boat was VERY stable. I could aid my steering by leaning which was nice. However I was frequently struggling to keep up with the pack, because this thing is SLOW. A friend had the shorter 126 which seemed much faster. I noticed that the drain seal had cracked (cheap plastic) and was mildly upset about that but not enough to return it. For $350 I had something that I enjoyed kayaking in, so I felt that was reasonable and the cracked drain really didn't inhibit its function.

While paddling hard downstream one of the foot pegs snapped off. That was it. The final straw, paddling 5 miles home with only one foot peg, I knew I was taking it back. When I returned it the store manager said that every one he had sold came back because the rear hatch seal was broke. He said that the company was in Canada and that they were aware of the issue and weren't willing to do anything about it. The store manager was completely pleasant and willing to take it back.

So now I'm shopping again and leaning toward a Wilderness Systems Tsunami 140...more money, but reliability is worth something, especially when on the water or in the wild.