Product Reviews > Accessories > Astral V Eight PFD Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Astral V Eight PFD

Rated: 9.4/10 Based On: 5 Reviews

Research PFDs (Life Jackets) in the Buyers' Guide!
PFDs (Life Jackets)
View PFDs (Life Jackets) in Buyers' Guide

07-02-2014

Very comfortable life jacket! I get pretty hot typically but the ventilation on this PFD is great. Plenty of free movement for paddling. I would highly recommend this life jacket for kayaking.

06-08-2011

10 of 10 for comfort and cooling. I've had this PFD for only a short time so no long-term durability prospective. But it is extremely light-weight even after fully wetting it (something I can't say about my old PFD, which gained some notable weight from water clinging to its fabric).

The air pockets/openings work very well and provide notable cooling. This is designed to be worn high, so it does not interfere with the cockpit coaming in normal paddling or rolling. Some PFDs have low upper back, which exposes your upper vertebrae to potential knocks on rocks underwater in white water use. This one has padding way up, which not only provides cushioning but also aids in floating your upper body better than something that is primarily low around your waist.

The mesh pocket is easy to open with one hand - just pull down on the short strap. Closing requires a look down and a careful alignment to get a satisfying click.

One "issue" for me is the overly long shoulder straps that tend to flap in the wind and smack me in the face - need to wrap them around themselves a few times so the stay put in winds. Also, the lack of a pocket suitable for a marine radio is a minus but that makes the PFD compact, so a plus too (can't have it both ways...) Lastly, mine is a green color - while cute, it is low visibility. Get a brighter color!

05-27-2011
Submitted by: BethSend Email

I have been looking and looking for a comfortable PFD that does not make me break out in hives. I have a BetSea that I like, but the straps rub me raw under my arms. I bought a MisFit and broke out in hives everywhere it touched me. I tried several others and had no luck. They ALL made me break out in hives. Finally I tried the V Eight.

The ventilation is superb under it, NO HIVES. I still get a little heat rash from it, but I do not get hives. It sits really well on me in my Tsunami, I also have used it on a SOT twice. Fit is good and it stays in place in the water too. The fact that I still get a rash keeps if from rating a perfect 10, but it really is close.

07-26-2009

I would second willowleaf.
Got the V-8 last year, have worn it on about 40 trips, and the final verdict is that you pretty much don't know it's there. My only complaint is the same too - the mesh pocket. Actually not the pocket, but the metal snap closure. It's impossible to unsnap with one hand. Velcro would be better.

07-24-2009

I've used an old side-zip Lotus Lola for years but have always been bothered by the high center front panel riding up on my short upper body to hit right under my chin. So I've purchased a couple of front zip PFD's (Stohlquist and MTI) but found them to also not fit me well. And of course, all were quite warm on hot days. Then I spotted one of the new Astral V-8 PFD's and tried it on -- the fit was great, conforming to my high waist and full bust nicely with an exceptionally well-designed cut around the arms. So I bought it (the pumpkin-orange color was appealing too, I admit, though I now resemble a carrot slice on a lettuce leaf in my green kayak.)

When I first used it the first thing I noticed was the freedom of movement and lack of awkward bulk. It does ride a bit high behind the shoulders but I think that is because of my short back -- that looks a little strange but is not at all uncomfortable, in fact it helps to ventilate. The second thing I noticed was that I didn't notice that I was wearing a PFD at all after paddling for a while! The mesh lining and perforated flotation foam actually work to enhance air circulation and I seemed to sweat no more under the vest than I did in places that were not beneath it. I have had it out 4 times now and have never felt that I wanted to take it off while paddling even in sweltering conditions (something I was often tempted to do with the Lola.)

My only complaint, and the reason for a 9 rather than 10, is that the pockets are kind of lame. There is one large mesh pocket with a single snap flap -- no zipper. I would not store anything in there without clipping it to the d-ring inside because the pouch is not at all secure. The second "pocket" is just a shallow mesh opening above the chest, within the lining, too tiny to hold much more than a chapstick and whistle (both tethered.) I've pretty much just used it to stash my thin gloves when I wasn't using them, but I suspect they could have popped out if I had rolled.

The materials and quality of Astral's construction are outstanding, as I would expect from folks who apparently were originally involved with Lotus Designs. Very nice-looking.

Overall I think this is a great vest for anyone who wants an amazingly cool and comfortable PFD that won't chafe your underarms or feel bulky while paddling. It's the only "unisex" vest that has fit my 36DD chest well. Price is upper mid-range at around $100USD, plus or minus a few bucks.