Reviews for Mirage i9s Kayak by Hobie Cat Company
Based On: 1 Reviews
07-20-2009Submitted by: dfish
Don't Miss the Paddling.net Weekly Newsletter!
Purchased an i9s 3 weeks ago, here are some initial reactions:
- very easy setup and inflation
- packs into a relatively small bag which can fit easily into a compact car
- easily handled by one person at 39 lbs
- Mirage drive works well, very solidly anchored
- outer double hull does seem to take in some rainwater, requiring emptying via bow plug
- design suits pedaling a bit better than paddling due to beam/width and relatively high round sides
- pedaling/paddling combo possible but not dramatically more effective than pedaling
- reports of paddle popping out of side clips true... ended up using a paddle leash velcro to attach paddle to side handle
- rudder control lines required a bit of adjusting, easily done with philips head screwdriver
- surprisingly dry boat -- bottom is slightly convex allowing any water to run to drain plugs -- not much water comes over bow, virtually nothing comes up from Mirage drive slot
- recommend consideration of larger ST Mirage fins (normal fins are *very* easy to pedal)
- recommend consideration of large rudder to improve tracking
- note that Hobie makes a nice bag for the Mirage drive with mesh to allow fins to dry
120,000+ people can't be wrong!
The Paddling.net Newsletter is a must if you like to canoe or kayak! Each week it is packed with great articles, photos, product reviews, and special features. Better yet, we promise not to sell your email address to anyone; that's right ZERO spam! Sign up today and find out what you've been missing!