Product Reviews > Canoes > Grumman Canoes > 129 Solo Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for 129 Solo Canoe by Grumman Canoes

129 Solo Canoe by Grumman Canoes

Length: 12' 9" - Width: 29.5" - Starting at: $1012.00
See More Details about this Canoe
Grumman Canoes Logo

04-28-2014
Submitted by: ReneSend Email

I bought this little boat for fishing lakes and rivers in Kansas. It was shipped for free from N.Y., and entered the water in time to break ice during trout season. It has an indestructible hull that shrugs off cement ramps and tree stumps, with a sweet shape that paddles with ease using either a canoe paddle or kayak paddle that I keep on board for when the wind kicks up.

The best thing about this boat is that it lives in the back of my pick-up, so its always ready to launch, gets loaded and unloaded half as many times as other canoes, and hits the water just about every day. After all, time on the water matters most to a fisherman.

I have added the following: one Down East rod holder; heavy duty ergonomic floor mats to quiet the hull and give traction to my feet or knees; and a six pound mushroom anchor which holds it anywhere, regardless of wind. I keep the anchor in a bag between my legs and sit on it to lower my center of gravity when drifting and casting for wipers, a hybrid of the striped bass and white bass, which is my primary target. These can also be caught trolling, hence the rod-holder.

The canoe is big enough to hold three rods, large net, tackle box, shoulder bag for sundries, and anchor. As far as paddling goes, I love it, although I am not out to win races or run rapids. Driving it around Kansas in my old red tuck does not make me look chic, but it sure makes me look iconic, and all who know boats, especially outdoorsmen, view it with fondness.

Two things about this little boat are very important: it will get you back home in a storm, and it tracks nicely to windward. Other than that, when you hook into a wiper, its a mighty fine ride.

06-10-2013
Submitted by: JWSend Email

I consider myself a highly experienced paddler, having grown up on Keuka Lake. Being desirous of the following, I decided upon the Grumman Solo. Here is what I was looking for:
  1. timeless ruggedness; that is, no longer do I care for a plastic 'flower pot' that will subject itself to ultraviolet degredation and warp like a banana or degrade nor last the test of time. I wanted something proven and rugged. Grumman is as proven as it gets.
  2. I wanted a solo canoe that would track well and I could enjoy with a single blade paddle and not have to fight to keep it on track. This automatically eliminated quite a few solo canoes.
  3. I wanted something fast.
  4. I wanted something not pushing 3K in price.
  5. I wanted something not over rated.
  6. I wanted something I could cut through the waves with but just the right amount of rocker.
I found it in the new Grumman Solo. So far, it's been Cayuga Lake twice, Keuka Lake twice, beautiful streams that meander through fertile valleys of upstate, NY, and on the more open salt water of Safety Harbor in Florida-a harbor bordering Tampa Bay. In the chop she cuts through the waves just like I want. She is more of a flat water boat than the Old Town Pack. She is a lot faster. She is not quite as stable but she is what I want. With a single blade I enjoyed my pace and distanced myself from a double blade paddler in a Pack. She might not have the capacity ratings of the Pack but she is more fun to paddle, if you like efficiency, single blade with a touch of nostalgia. (Personally, I think aluminum canoes are the most under rated things in the canoe world.)

I think the only solo boat that compares to it is the Mad River Serenade, which I love. But, I love my aluminum. I love my Grumman. And I love the 400 bucks in my pocket. I personally think this is one of the top solo canoes on the market. It's not so narrow that you need to say your hail marys everytime you get into it, like some other more narrow flat water boats. I think, for what I want-flat water and some streams, with canoe camping and day tripping, this boat on the top of my 19 yr old Volvo is a beautiful sight.

I love my Grumman and would love to get a new Grumman solo. As far as I am concerned, you can't go wrong with a Grumman. ('Paddle Harder!...I hear banjo music!')

06-08-2009

The G-129 Solo is a nice little pack-style canoe. It is stable and the keel makes it track like a longer hull. Definitely add a seat pad because the aluminum seat is cold to sit on. The front deck reflects a lot of sunlight, but this can be blacked-out with black tape or paint that is appropriate for aluminum.