Product Reviews > Accessories > Werner Tybee kayak paddle Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Werner Tybee kayak paddle

Rated: 9.67/10 Based On: 6 Reviews

Werner Paddles Logo
See Products from Werner Paddles in the Buyers' Guide!
Werner Paddles in the Buyers' Guide:
  • Touring Kayak Paddles
  • Canoe/Raft/Outrigger

08-21-2014
Submitted by: Kevin DunleavySend Email

I recently purchased the Werner Tybee hooked paddle, and have been cursing ever since - for having waited so long before making the switch! I was happy enough with my previous paddle (Bending Branches Bounce), but after a friend recommended the Tybee I decided to take a chance. Money well spent! With that said, it costs less than many of Werner's paddles so I didn't really break the bank either.

I have a wide SOT kayak which means I need a long paddle, so I got the longest one available (250 cm). Still plenty light for a long day on the water, and what a difference the hooked blade makes. Adjustable ferrule system makes it easy to separate and adjust for different angles, and locks securely in place. Highly recommended

08-01-2013

I use the Werner Tybee kayak paddle with my Aire Lynx Inflatable Kayak. It is a great match up as I am short with a high angle paddling style. Most manufacturers recommend a 230cm paddle for IKs. I bought one and found it was way too long for me. So after an extensive search I found the Werner Tybee.

I like the angle and shape of the blades. They are much more like the shape of whitewater paddles which is great since I am using this paddle in whitewater. It comes in a range of lengths. The whitewater specific paddles do not usually come in lengths above 200cm. I was able to get the Werner Tybee in a 215cm length. Werner offers shorter lengths as well as longer than my 215.

I have now used this paddle only a few times and I really enjoy it. I have banged it off of rocks and used it to push off or rocks as well. It seems like a strong paddle.

If you have a wide boat and are looking for a strong short paddle for whitewater I recommend the Warner Tybee paddle.

04-06-2012

I like high angle paddles and after trying many this is the first high angle paddle that is also light weight that can handle conditions of the small twisty Ozark streams that I like.

04-02-2012

Got the Tybee FG in a 230 for use with my LL Coupe SOT and I really wish I got the 240 because the blade is shorter than the Skagit. However, my only real gripe is that the high angle often gets me wet. Not the paddles fault though. It is strong, lite, efficient, and I really like the adjustments available. Best bang for the buck.

07-30-2009

I got a Tybee at REI for $90, the only time I've seen it discounted from $130. It's a very efficient high stroke paddle, but what has surprised me most is it's toughness. I've dug out of sand and gravel shallows with it, banged it off rocks in whitewater, and haven't gotten so much as a scratch or chip. Highly recommend.

05-19-2009

I bought a Tybee on Ebay at a great discount for a friend who does adventure races. He loves the paddle, and I borrowed it recently for a trip down the mighty Oswego river in southern NJ. It is a fabulous paddle for the price. Highly recommended if you don't want to spend $300 or more for high-end gear.