Product Reviews > Kayaks > Point 65 N > Sea Rover Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Sea Rover Kayak by Point 65 N

03-31-2009

Boat basics: Point 65 Sea-Rover in carbon-kevlar lay-up 17'3".
Roomy cockpit will fit large paddlers, and has stability to instill confidence in any paddler new or experienced. The body design makes for a fast, quiet moving boat that is lightweight yet rigid. Boasts 4 hatches, including 2 day hatches. The flanges on my model apparently did not take well to the curing process for the carbon-kevlar, as there are about a thousand hairline cracks running radially around the surface where they contact the boat. This has NOT led to any water leakage, but I am concerned about them propagating in the future.

The boat comes with a skeg and a rudder. I have never seen another boat that offers both skeg and rudder, and I am still questioning the need for this. The skeg is sturdy and has a nice flush deck mounted operating control. The Cype Gear made rudder, by contrast is about as poorly planned and designed as possible. First, the rudder comes un-assembled / detached from the boat with no mounting instructions. I should have guessed I would have had a problem with mounting it when I discovered that my boat was delivered without the mounting ferrule for the rudder! After exchanging for a new boat I came up with problem #2Ö the control cable for deploying the rudder is too short. Furthermore, the bungee-style elastic springs that are used on the rudder for deployment don't allow enough "throw" to retract it only half way out of the waterÖ not fully retracted. The matched tip-toe steering foot-pedals, also supplied by Cype Gear are a poor choice for this boat.

The deck rigging for the boat is flush mounted, thus there are bulges and hardware protruding inside the cockpit area. The foot-pedals hit these in about a third of the usable positions. And also like the Cype Gear rudder, the bungee on the foot-pedals are so tight, it allows for only about a half inch of movement, which when translated to the rudder means nothing. The control lines inside the cockpit hit some of the recessed hardware as well. I recommend installing washers behind the foot-pedal mounting bolts, as the tiny cap-screw heads will easily rip through the hull if any serious pressure is applied to the foot pedals. (It should be noted that I tried contacting Cype Gear and Point 65 several times by e-mail, through their web page and by snail-mail and have had no feedback whatsoever) My suggestion... Forget the rudder.

The seat is a very basic affair. There is no fancy rigging on the back band, and it will pinch your bottom horribly if you lean your weight back (I learned this the hard way more than once). I am installing a block of minicell foam under the back-band to prevent this downward movement.

There is a metal pin behind the cockpit which looked like a security cleat, but it is mounted so close to the deck you cannot pass a lock behind it. I donít think you could even squeeze a #2 pencil under there itís so close. So it looks impressive but is useless.

If this was a $400 boat, I would be raving about the weight and handling and such. But being that it was closer to $4000 I donít think I should have ANY of these issues. I think this was a great design concept that was handed off and poorly executed at the factory.