Product Reviews > Accessories > C-Tug Boat Cart Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for C-Tug Boat Cart

Rated: 8.21/10 Based On: 24 Reviews

Research Carts, Portaging & Launching in the Buyers' Guide!
Carts, Portaging & Launching
View Carts, Portaging & Launching in Buyers' Guide

09-03-2014

I am a 50+ year old woman with limited strength to carry even a lightweight kayak or canoe. I own 2 carts -- a standard Malone-type cart and a C-tug. The C-tug is amazing and so easy to use. If I secure the strap, my sit-on-top (plastic) kayak never bounces off the cart. With this cart, I can easily roll my kayak from my vehicle to the water's edge. The cart is plastic, so it doesn't rust if it goes in the water. I can either disassemble quickly and stow the C-tug in my boat or leave it assembled and simply strap it onto the stern or bow for quick use at the end of my journey or during stops along the way. I absolutely LOVE my C-tug!

08-13-2014

C-Tug is my favorite trolly. I bought another cheap-o model at a major sporting goods store, but found it to be more trouble than it was worth. This season, I bought two C-Tugs (with solid wheels) and they are great. I use them individually when two of us paddle together AND, even devised a way to link them solidly together as a four wheel cart to transport my old Sunfish sailboat. That brainstorm has saved my tired old back from considerable strain. I'd be happy to share those simple plans with anyone looking to do the same.

08-05-2013

Don't waste your money!!! It worked fine the three times I used it but the tires went flat after only being used three times. Took it back to the dealer where I bought it and they told me the tires were not covered under the warranty. I then emailed C-Tug Customer Service to see if they would send me a new set of wheels and and they never responded.

I tried to replace the inner tubes myself but it is impossible too get the tires off without buggering up the plastic rims. Basically the thing is useless now. It is currently sitting on the junk heap at the back corner of my garage waiting for my next trip to the county landfill.

03-27-2013

After using many self-built kayak carts I got the plastic (wide) wheel model. I found the strap system a pain to use with different widths of kayak, so I use a NRS lash strap instead. This works great!

The cart bends to adapt to nearly any shape sit inside kayak; not sure about SOT with a wider beam. The wide plastic solid tires are great on sand, mud and weed infested areas; on rocks and large pebbles not so great. The soft pneumatic tire model would be better for rocky surfaces. The cart easily breaks down and fits inside of all of my boats (WS Zephyr 155, Dagger Alchemys, Pyrahna Fusion S). I have had 2 kayaks with nearly 150lbs of gear on the cart and it works well.

11-04-2012

I initially purchased the pneumatic tire version. One tube had a hole in it before I even used it. So zero marks for quality control. However, I was able to swap it out for the solid tire version. Other than the fact that the strap fastening device sucks big time, this is not a bad unit. I found that pushing the kayak while on the C-tug does allow you to make progress, as if you try to pull it, the kayak will slide off the C-tug as a consequence of not being able to snug down the straps. I will try and replace the buckle with some thing that works. As stated by another reviewer, the solid tires do not easily fit into either of my hatches, but I can take the seats off and store them and attach the frame and tires to the rear of the deck. Not ideal to have something that big there but it does work.

09-10-2012

Works decent as long as you don't have to put air in the tires if they are flat. As mentioned below the regular air chuck does not fit. I had to put a small flat blade screwdriver through the rim to keep the stem out. Was a bit worried about puncturing the tube; blunt end would be better instead of a screw driver. So after 20 minutes of experimentation the tires are re-inflated. Second time would be faster. Better not to get a flat or let them go down. Mine were sitting for a while. Otherwise it is good!

08-23-2012
Submitted by: CESend Email

I love the C-tug. The straps are hard to get used to but I have made them work by pulling the tug further up my kayak. At 5'2" it is easy for me to pull and is great to help get my boat onto my Tacoma's topper (with the assistance of a ladder of course!) but virtually unassisted. I read the directions, snapped it together, away I went The shop I bought it from called me and said they had new wheels for me and mailed them without me even knowing there was a problem. Paddle time comes, snap my Tug together off I go, no worries. I love it. It's now 3 yrs old.

07-09-2012
Submitted by: HerbDSend Email

Have used C-Tug to portage canoes and it worked very well for the first 20km of portage trail use. On my last trip I was carrying over a 3.5km trail and the retaining pin broke down and came off. Turns out the plastic hub (which rotates over a vented plastic sleeve) broke down with friction. Unless the rotating hub mechanism is re-designed, I would not recommend. Otherwise, a great idea.

06-25-2012
Submitted by: Tony RobertsSend Email

The C-tug is well-conceived and generally well-executed piece of work. In a area where most offerings are home-grown or cottage-industry in scale, it's a pleasure to come across a professionally produced piece of kit at a reasonable price. I have now owned 2 of these over a period of years, and would heartily recommend them for non-serious use. There are just a few minor things to watch out for, based on my experience:
  1. The wheels have pressed-in (plastic) bearing sleeves. In our recent descent of the Rhine (with dozens of portages) one of these sleeves fell out and by the time we noticed, we had damaged the wheel and both axles beyond repair. For good measure, the tire valve failed. We managed to complete the trip, but only just.
  2. I subsequently upgraded to the new "sandhopper" one with solid wheels. This is a major improvement! The wheel bearings can still fall out, but punctures are a thing of the past. One minor downside for me is that the wheels have been made fractionally too large to fit through a standard 10-inch sea kayak hatch (being the same size as the pneumatic ones, but without the ability to deflate). They also don't float, so can't be carried in the cockpit. Hence this version is no use for my current boat, and indeed many classic sea kayaks (NDK Romany, Explorer etc). Luckily, I'm always looking for the opportunity to spend money, so this is a golden opportunity to replace the boat itself.
  3. The strap arrangement on both versions is pretty ineffective, as others have pointed out. You can't tension it properly, even if you follow the instructions carefully. Luckily it's only a few hours work to make up something decent using a standard 35mm cinching strap and some marine-grade stitching.
In short, this is a superb bit of kit, provided you buy the version you can fit in your boat, spend a few hours replacing the strap, keep a watchful eye on the wheel bearings, and don't use it for anything serious!

05-29-2012
Submitted by: DanHSend Email

Not much to add to the rest of the reviews here, TrevorN pretty much nails it: works great, breaks down easily for stowage in your kayak, tires smell really bad at first. Very stable platform.

04-27-2012

My mom bought me one of these for Christmas after I hurt my back moving my heavy Rouge River Canoe. It works great once you get the canoe on the thing but that can be difficult because the kick stand will not hold it upright unless it is sitting on a perfectly level surface (like my garage floor) most river banks and launch areas are not perfectly level so you set the C-Tug up then as soon as you pick the canoe up to put it on the C-Tug, it falls over.

I have also used my C-Tug to move my Sunfish sailboat around. I can put the Sunfish hull on it either right side up or upside down. Since the C-Tug is padded with a green rubberized material it will not scratch my hull or deck.

The rubber tires smelled AWFUL when I first took it out of the box but since I keep it out in my garage it was not a huge issue and after several months they seem to have aired out. A standard air chuck will not work to pump up the tires but I was able to use my small portable air compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter on the car to pump them up. So far I have not had any problem with them going flat.

If I take the C-Tug apart it will easily fit in the rear hatch of either my Impex Susquehanna sea kayak or my Wilderness Systems Pungo 140. Since the C-tug is all plastic and the axles are made of stainless steel getting dunked in salt water will not harm it like some other carts.

Overall I give it a nine due to the kick stand issue, but it is a very useful cart.

04-11-2012
Submitted by: KurtSend Email

I purchased the C-Tug about a year ago after doing some online research. The C-Tug is an awesome kayak cart. It is made completely of heavy duty plastic with pneumatic wheels. No metal parts mean no rust or scratches on anything. It assembles easily and quickly breaks down into six pieces. When broken down, it fits nicely into the front hatch of my Tarpon 120.

There is also a YouTube video showing it being used upside down to help load your yak onto the roof of your vehicle, as well as the c-tug also being put together in a way to make it into a seat to use when sitting on a river bank, etc. So it does have a couple other uses besides a kayak cart.

03-27-2012

I purchased this cart last year and find it very well built. It breaks down just as easy as advertised. I agree with most, in that I didn't like the strap; I replaced with a simple ratchet strap and have not had any issues. Best of all it easily fits in the rear hatch of a WS 14' Tsunami. I can understand the ground clearance issue from below but again you have to look at where you plan to go and buy accordingly.

11-17-2011
Submitted by: L. MackieSend Email

Fantastic, simple and value for the money.
I have been meaning to review my C-TUG purchase for a few months now but have been to busy with the late summer. This is perhaps the 4th cart I have purchased over the last 15 years. I have also tried to make a few. Not so good!

The C-TUG Cart is superior to anything I have used. I got the new hard wheels - they are ingenious. Very impressive unit and look forward to next seasons paddles!

09-22-2011

We just completed a 6 day canoe trip on the Bowron Lakes. The c tug was totally unsuitable for the majority of the portages (8 in total) on this route. The main problem was the size of the tires. They simply weren't big enough to handle the rough rocky trails and the deeper mud holes. People using other carts with larger wheels had no difficulty at all. On the smoother and newer trails the c tug was merely adequate. The wheels squeaked and we found that even though we are not tall people, we were hunched over when pulling the cart because it was so low. We have a 17 foot kevlar Clipper canoe, so weight was not an issue. I doubt we will use this cart much.

05-06-2011

I purchased a C-Tug a while back and love it. The only issue I have is the stem for the tires. It is too short for a conventional air chuck and for some reason typical extensions won't fit. Maybe a metric thing. After getting air in the tires I have not lost any (yet). I have recommended this to others for their use and outfitters for a product line for their stores.

02-04-2011
Submitted by: Lance MackieSend Email

Had a flat tire in November and called Peter at C-TUG. Suggested I wait till the new wheels arrive.

Just got my set today and "EXCELLENT" - no smell - never go flat and weighs less. These guys have got it together... I'm moving to New Zealand. Why can't we do this here in North America?

07-19-2010

Bought this 2 years ago for my sailboat and thought it was a terrific design. The stabilizing foot broke early on (has since been redesigned), and the good guys in New Zealand sent me 2 new feet for the cost of shipping - $10. No further problems. Have used it since for an inflatable kayak--goes well over sand. Very happy with it!

07-15-2010

Great cart although a bit pungent... yes pungent. The cart can really stink out a garage (plastic/petroleum smell). I used the cart on a multi-day trip that included portages of up to a half mile on different terrains (sand, trails, compact dirt). Worked great. I will say the cross bars are a bit large and occupy valuable space on a longer trip. The bars did secure to aft deck nicely.

05-19-2010
Submitted by: Adam NathanSend Email

Read your reviews and went out to buy a C-Tug. A couple of days later I drove over the cart and broke the axle - called the guy in Vancouver who runs the USA business and he sent me a new piece on the turn. No questions asked. Great service and great cart.

04-07-2010
Submitted by: L MackieSend Email

Found the C-TUG in the local Yak store. Not sure at first but now that I'm using the cart it is great. The straps are excellent - at first I did not read the instructions (I'm a guy) after following the "pictures" it all made sense - nearly perfect. I would highly recommend this cart over everything else I have tried.

01-01-2010

I highly recommend this cart. The construction of the components and the assembly method is first rate. As other reviewers have stated, the strap is over-designed and just plain silly. Don't even bother with removing from the box, just use a conventional tie down strap and it's so much easier.

12-17-2009

The C-Tug is a great little cart that breaks down for storage. One issue I had with the cart was the straps - they could be replaced for something sturdier - but other than that, it's a great portage solution. The weight capacity was a real selling point for me - at 300 lbs., it can carry my yak (70 lbs.) filled with everything I could possibly take on a camping/paddling/fishing trip.

02-26-2009
Submitted by: Peter VoglSend Email

I recently returned from New Zealand where I purchased a C-Tug, from Payless Plastics in Whangarei. What a pleasure to use. Straps took a bit of adjusting to, but other than that I'm now a pro at pulling it apart and stowing it.

Being all plastic is a plus for saltwater, but wash it down after each use or the C-Tug will start squeaking. My cost was about $130 USD when I bought it and have now owned and used it for 13 months - no issues.