Product Reviews > Kayaks > Perception > Scimitar Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Scimitar Kayak by Perception

Rated: 8.55/10 Based On: 11 Reviews

03-22-2013
Submitted by: Joseph

I love this boat, it's perfect for me. It is tremendously flexible for all my kayak needs: very maneuverable with the rudder and also tracks straight as an arrow, it has plenty of dry storage for camping trips, it is light enough not to be impractical for day trips, and it's yellow so great visibility on the water. I like that it's plastic (polyurethanes I think) because the hull is more durable and I don't have to worry about beach landings. It is also 5 to 10 times cheaper than a fiberglass or kevlar boats. 10 pounds lighter simply isn't worth the enormous cost difference. I am 6'3" and it was a bit too snug for me at first, but I extended the foot pegs by an inch on each side and now I have them set with one notch to spare. It's a great boat if you want to get out on the water alot and not worry too much about depreciation on your investment. I just love it to death!

10-16-2007

I bought a used plastic Aquaterra Scimitar with rudder and absolutely LOVE this boat. Although an older sea kayak, this boat has wonderful initial and secondary stability and I find it very comfortable to paddle.

This boat is made for small to medium paddlers - my husband felt cramped in it - but for me (5'5" and 120-130 lbs) it fits perfectly. This boat handles barge and speed boat waves beautifully (I do use the rudder) and is a blast to paddle! I've paddled numerous other kayaks - white water, recreational and sea kayaks including a variety of Old Town models, Perception models, kevlar Necky Looksha IV, Hurricane, and Dagger. The Scimitar is my favorite! I can load and unload this on our van by myself so don't find the weight a problem (although I do prefer help when it's available...). So far the hatches have stayed dry. Overall a fun boat if you can find one!

07-28-2003

Got a great deal on this boat which was VERY used (7 years old) but in very good condition (just the expected hull scratches and some tightening up needed on the rudder rigging), and have owned it for two months now.

Pros: Handling. Exceptional handling in leaned turns. Really sporty and fun with any kind of turns on the move or for doing tight figure-8s or 360s. Secondary stability. Easy to take into extreme edges. Rudder is great for straight tracking over long distances.

Cons: Construction. Thinner plastic than in most newer boats or those made by other manufacturers. Rigidity is reinforced by a metal bar along the bottom of tfhe cockpit, which is a bit cheesy. Foot braces could also be sturdier, though that may be a consequence of the aging rudder system. Tracking w/o rudder. The short length and rockered Greenland design take their toll on the tracking. Have to do more corrective strokes than I'd like when the rudder isn't in use. Strange outfitting. Hatches each have two-layer covers. Paddlefloat self-rescue is awkward with wide-blade paddles, as there's a plastic structure designed to hold only narrow paddles behind the cockpit. Rudder mechanism is a bit heavy - it takes a strong yank to deploy or retract, which could be difficult in harsh conditions.

Other observations: As a smaller paddler (5'5", 130#), I find myself sliding around in the cockpit a lot during rolls (ugly but effective), so it definitely needs some outfitting for high-performance handling. Cockpit is a lot wider than other boats of similar width. Hatches and bulkheads are tight, though the multi-layered hatch system does catch some water between the inner neoprene hatch cover and outer plastic hatch cover after a capsize. Overall, this is a great boat for skills practice and development, light touring, or surf/rock garden action. 8 when considering the value of the used boat; 7 otherwise.

05-03-2002

Bought mine second-hand and love it. I love the look of it as well. Mine is of a granite color. First had two white water kayaks, but wanted more room so I could take a camcorder or camera along and other items for day trips and on lakes just strap the lifevest to the front deck. In our area (Tennessee) it gets way too hot to be sporting a lifevest in summer plus I am anyway an excellent swimmer. While I would need a skirt with the white water kayak when the lake gets rough, the sea kayak handles rough water very nicely.

12-26-2001
Submitted by: stuart bell

Great boat, it is amazing the amount of rough water and heavy seas this boat will endure. Great, cheap plastic boat, wish it had been produced in glass.

11-19-2001
Submitted by: GCYSend Email

Nice looking boat with a lot of features. I however have a size 11 shoe that will not fit down where the pedals are. Bought it for me over the web, Fits my daughter 5'7 nine shoe, fine.

05-08-2001
Submitted by: Anthony BowersSend Email

I have owned mine for 18 months and have found it to be an easy kayak to paddle, although uncomfortable somewhat, for I am 6'2" and leg room is a bit cramping. I bought mine 2nd hand and I have had some problems with the bulkheads leaking but overall I am happy with it.

07-27-2000
Submitted by: Paul

I really enjoy the Scimitar, it is the boat that I paddle the most often because of it's quick acceleration and tight turns. I do agree the boat may be a little on the heavier side but once it's in the water you can't tell. I do like the looks of the bow and stern covers because they sit so flush to the top of the deck. At times this Yak is a little bit tippy at first. Once you get used to it it's a blast.

07-15-1999
Submitted by: jofferSend Email

Used for day trips. Very enjoyable, loved the sleek and responsive feel. Handled well on wide rivers, lakes and especially loved the great lakes, even in waves!

03-08-1999

The Scimitar is a great boat for day tripping or short camp trips. Plenty of storage for gear. It is a good handling boat for surfing or playing in the rock gardens. Just a great all round boat for many purposes.

09-06-1998
Submitted by: D SlackSend Email

Very responsive, fun to play and surf. It tends to weathercock, not enough room for gear, and hatches leak.

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!
Rendezvous River Sports