Product Reviews > Kayaks > Ocean Kayak > Mysto Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Mysto Kayak by Ocean Kayak

Rated: 7.29/10 Based On: 7 Reviews

06-03-2013
Submitted by: frehley76Send Email

I have two Mystos. I use them mainly for short trips and playing around on the beach. They are very stable, I go out in Lake Michigan in pretty big waves and I never feel like I am going to tip. I purchased the Mysto because it was light and wanted to play in the waves, and it does well. I am 5'8" 200 lbs and have no problems tipping or getting back on. These are discontinued, but I just picked up my 2nd one on clearance at a very good price. I recommend it if you just want to have fun!

10-14-2010
Submitted by: BobSend Email

I have 4 kayaks, soon 5. This kayak has limited use, playing in the surf. If you're only paddling a short distance and doing so slowly, its okay. Very easy to get back on in deeper water. Works good as a platform to swim/snorkel from so long as you are not paddling any distance. If you try to push it, it starts to bob/bounce. In short, for the surf it's a good choice, for anything else, keep looking.

11-19-2009
Submitted by: ordinaryguySend Email

I recently rented one of these and a Frenzy at the Texas coast, to see which one would be the best surf toy to buy. The Mysto looks really cool, comfortable to sit on, but neither I or my son could stay on it, either bashing out through the surf, or trying to ride it back in. It seems like your center of gravity is very high in this boat. Maybe with more time I could have mastered it, but the Frenzy was so easy to get out and back in with, it was a no-brainer. I was really disappointed in the Mysto, 'cause it was new and I wanted one. Took the Frenzy home, though.

09-10-2009
Submitted by: j.lSend Email

great product, but bit unsteady with heavier people

01-12-2009
Submitted by: Big Bob

Nice small boat... made for playing in the surf - does well surfing waves - does good going flat water too - quality seems good so far - easy to maneuver - BUT THIS IS A PLAY BOAT - not for beginners in the ocean

11-12-2008
Submitted by: John "Toast" Oast

I have been testing out a new Mysto for about a month. The unique bottom design is really cool. I also really like the replaceable plastic unit at the stern. This is ideal to increase the longevity of a kayak's life. At 325 pounds, the weight capacity is also significant. The model also comes with a Comfort Plus seat back, a nice bonus. It also has molded-in, integrated carry handles. At well over 200 pounds, the Mysto handles my weight well, but will mainly be used as a kayak for my 9 year old daughter. We will be using it as a recreational kayak, and to fish out of. As for handling, it tracks very well for a kayak under 10 feet in length. The Mysto is also quite stable, but the seating position is higher than the Ocean Kayak Frenzy. In the Mysto you feel as though you are sitting on top of the kayak, whereas with similar models, the sit-on-top cockpit is molded deeper into the top of the boat. As for construction quality, I have never had issues with uncaught factory blemishes or flaws over my years of Ocean Kayak use. Unfortunately, the only substantial issues I have seen have resulted from improper shipping of kayaks. The Mysto model I have was in perfect condition when I received it. Overall I am very pleased with the Ocean Kayak Mysto, and expect years of reliable and fun use.

07-30-2008
Submitted by: KSend Email

I purchased a Mysto a couple of weeks ago as the kayak my wife wanted was not available (Venus 11). We have been out 4 times so far on lakes and once in the sea. As for performance it seems very good so far, however once the point of tipping occurs it rapidly empties you out. In the surf it is great surfing in, but heading out against the waves expect some serious water over the bow hitting you in the chest, still you don't expect to stay dry in surf.

Overall performance was good, my main problem was the moulding quality on the hull. The bottom was very distorted and appeared to be dented on one side more than the other. When checked against others it appeared they all had that fault to greater or lesser extents. I had a replacement which was better but far from perfect. Check the hull is my advice.