Product Reviews > Kayaks > Sevylor > Pointer K1 Kayak U233 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Pointer K1 Kayak U233 Kayak by Sevylor

Rated: 7.25/10 Based On: 4 Reviews

08-12-2013
Submitted by: D.H.Send Email

My personal experiences with the Sevylor Pointer included plenty of good and bad. My first inflatable, it was simple to set up, took little time to inflate, and was equally easy to pack up when done. Transportation was simple, which would have made it a great second kayak to keep in the car for impulse trips and short weekends. Stability was low, as expected; but on the other hand, it was nicely lively, and great for surfing small waves and boat wakes on large lakes and near-shore waters (in my case, Puget Sound). Great on calm water, it was reasonably stable on moderately rough water. Not fast, but comfortable and pleasant for spending the day just leisurely paddling around.

On the bad side, it simply did not hold up. Within less than 3 months of use, the seams started to come apart - not tearing, just detaching. Worse, warranty service was pretty much out of the question. Response was slow, and the shipping cost would have been roughly half what I originally paid for the kayak. Aside from that, poor drainage made it difficult to dry out after use, and mildew is always a major problem in this climate.

I would consider buying it again if the construction quality and warranty service were better; but as it stands, it was a waste of money.

11-10-2011
Submitted by: JanosSend Email

I bought my Sevylor Pointer K1 more than 3 years ago.
The advantages of this kayak are that you can bring everywhere (20kg package - a "big box"), 10 minutes to pump up it, it has a very big storage (inside of the kayak is opened so you can use the full place there) and it is very stable.

It was my first kayak so I had not have experience about the speed. However it is not a racer kayak. It is too wild for this. But if you are fit, it can be quick. (I was racing with a grass-snake once and I won...)

The disadvantage of this kayak is the draining. It is terrible! You have to drain it for 4-6 hours (if you put out the bottom buoyancy chamber [where you sit] and clean it inside with a towel). So you have to have a place where you can live it after that you used. (It could be at home or next to the water too. I used to do that when I finished my kayaking I made my lunch/dinner on the coast and during this time the kayak was draining. When I arrived at home I left it (in opened form) in a safety place for 2-3 days.)

However a towel to dry inside the kayak is highly recommended. Because it can mold inside if you do not drain it. One of the reason of this that you can not open the top. This kayak has two zips on the front but it is not working well and if you use the hole on the end, it will not mean that it is drain - some water will stay inside.
The draining was one of the biggest reason that I bought later a Sevylor Colorado - which is opened, and after a sit on top kayak.

In summary: this kayak is very stable and performance is quite good. However a huge disadvantage of the Pointer is that it can not drain easily.

08-31-2009
Submitted by: KaceSend Email

The wife and I now have 2 inflatable kayaks. Started with a Stearns Yukatat, which is OK, but now we have a comparison I'd have to say the Pointer is far better.

Everything about it feels more like a "real" solid boat, whereas the Stearns is basically a rubber ring in a boat shaped bag. This is easy to set up, tracks pretty well through the water and feels like it moves along pretty swiftly. Not had it long but very happy so far.

03-27-2008
Submitted by: L NagleSend Email

Duckies fit my storage space and my budget and are light enough for me to cart about. I had a more canoe-like boat last year, but admired the Pointer.

So how is the Pointer?
Compared to a Rio, it is very fast. It can actually glide. It is nearly immune from wind. It sets up with few pump strokes. It does track nicely. And it has not much room for my legs - I am 5' 12" so go figure.

It is not perfect. I will guess the Stearns Cordova is faster and better. I do plan to upgrade. But the little Pointer is pretty good, and it is cheap too! I give it an eight.