Product Reviews > Accessories > WindPaddle Adventure sail Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for WindPaddle Adventure sail

WindPaddle Sails Logo
See Products from WindPaddle Sails in the Buyers' Guide!
WindPaddle Sails in the Buyers' Guide:
  • Adventure Sailrigs

08-14-2013
Submitted by: GregSend Email

The Windpaddle is a pretty durable and fun change up for longer trips or enjoying windy days. We tend to use it after the first six miles in a narrow wooded trip down Riverbend, once the river opens into tidal estuaries, and around Jupiter inlet on windy days. The sails luff a little bit until you learn to cinch down on the rigging with the turtle that sits at the six o'clock position. It's more helpful to have a rudder, but if you know how to edge and the wind is generally behind you, you can get by with fewer correction strokes.

All in all, the sail is durable, easy to stow, and is a good time when you just want to relax on the way back in or during a longer trip.

07-31-2013

WindPaddle Scout owner here.
What fun. I have two of these sails. One red and one yellow. That way friends can try them out, too. I have used the Scout on all of my 4 touring/recreational kayaks. The Scout is a dream on the 13ft touring kayak and on the 12ft recreational kayak. I have recently used it on my 10ft sit-on-top with fun success. And lastly, it is silly to see it on my 8ft recreational kayak.

On the longer boats the sail is easy to deploy and easy to control as the boats go straight easily.
On the sit-on-top Coupe the sail is fun. But the only negative on this boat with the sail is that when you put the sail away there is no deck rigging to put the sail under. You need to use the cord that goes around the folded sail to hold it together. This is awkward as the cord is in a strange spot with the kayak attachment points. The sail sometimes comes loose because I can't get the cord centered on the folded sail as one of the attachments is in the way.
And on the 8ft boat. It is very funny to try to control the boat and the sail as with the short boat the bow won't stay straight.

I have a carabineer I attach the sail to my PFD when I need to use my paddles. I could just hold the rope in my mouth, but I know how many lakes that rope has been in. Maybe this isn't the right way, but it works wonders.

I love the sail. And I love skimming across the water when the wind is at my back. If only it would work to go upwind...

03-30-2010
Submitted by: Ed MuzikSend Email

Purchased the WindPaddle Cruiser model to use with an Innova Helios II tandem inflatable kayak after it was clear that my attempt to attach the sail from my Feathercraft K2 folding kayak was going to negate the portable advantages of inflatable kayak. I resisted the rather unorthodox circular Windpaddle, but after further research decided it was the best fit for a kayak designed to be ultra portable and airline ready.

Took the Windpaddle to the Florida Keys last week and was quite pleased with its ease of use and performance. This sail will also see use on our canoes and other kayaks. Setup easy, deployed quickly, and came down easily (see YouTube videos on how to fold back up--that's the only tricky part). All in all, a great addition to the paddling kit.

10-17-2008

So much fun!
Have been casually window shopping the past couple of years for a kayak sail to take advantage of the winds when we do our Spring and Fall paddles in Assateague. Have used the sail for one weekend. Great new accessory/toy for my Wilderness Systems Tempest 170! GPS clocked us at 9mph.
    What won me over:
  • Portable. No need to drill holes in you boat, clips onto your deck rigging. The sail clip line is fully adjustable.
  • Lightweight - 13 oz
  • Small - folds down to 15" diameter circle (similar to portable car sun visor).. great for backcountry paddles where space is valuable. Stores neatly under my deck bag.
  • Easy to set up and take down.
  • Low center of gravity. Did not affect the boat stability.
  • Great conversation piece.
    Cons:
  • A bit pricey at $175. Very much this gal's gear-indulgence.
  • Portability - TOO Good! All my paddle buddies wanted to share the fun, too. Easily switched between boats while in route on the water.
All-in-all, very happy with the purchase!

12-12-2007

Wind Paddle – “Adventure” Mk I model is a 9 out of 10 for pure fun.
This is a very clever kayak sail that is simple to use and totally portable from kayak to kayak. Since it has no mounting hardware to worry about, I just clip it to my side deck cords or clips and if the wind comes up... I “pop” it up and I am sailing. If the wind goes down... I fold it in half and store it flat under the deck cords. Works best in winds over 10mph.

I have had this puppy for 3 months now in 25+ mph winds and I fly faster than I could possibly paddle. The real fun comes when you are going the same speed as the waves and you feel a surfing effect under the boat as you catch a wave.

I find the further forward towards the bow the sail is .... the more wind I can catch. Since I don’t use the paddle when I am under sail, I recommend you use a paddle leash, since you will need both hands to control the sail, especially when catching wind 90 degrees to the side. I also strongly recommend this for kayaks with rudders.

The biggest Kayak I have tried this on is my Wilderness Systems “Northstar” 18.5 foot, 95 lb tandem. My girlfriend ran the sail in the front while I paddled in the back and ran the rudder. We were going so fast that my paddling was slowing us down.... so I lifted my paddle and decided to “enjoy the ride”.

Although I still enjoy a calm day on the water.... I really look forward to a windy day now !!

11-19-2007

Got my new wind paddle Adventure sail last week, and have only had it out for about an hour due to uncooperative weather. Here are my first impressions, comparing it to the homemade variety of the PA sail I have. Here is the link to the PA style sail I am comparing it to....

First of all, if you are considering the Wind Paddle, get the Adventure, not the Sport. In a decent wind, the sport would get snatched out of your hand. Both sails are attached to my Caper midway on top of the front hatch. I've added padeyes on both sides for attachment points.

1. Deployment..... my vote goes with the PA style. The wind paddle when folded up requires me to scoot forward in order to deploy it. Also, out of the package, the Wind Paddle does not have front bungees. This makes it more difficult to pop up, and when the sail luffed, it wanted to fall in my lap. I am in the process of adding bungees up front. I am concerned that they will interfere with the WP sail filling fully with air... it sort of fills up like a shallow wind sock, and the front bungees might keep it from filling fully. Probably not enough to matter though.
  2. Storage on board..... goes to the Wind Paddle. It folds up nicely like a sun screen in your car. Takes up very little room when folded, only covers my front hatch. The PA type lays across my legs and makes for a busy deck.
  3. Maneuverability..... slight edge to the Wind Paddle. Seemed more "steerable". Frankly though, I mostly cleat the lines on my PA type sail and paddle/rudder anyway. Both can darn near get a full broad reach.
  4. Dousing the sail..... advantage to the PA type. I simply pull it back and fold it up. The Wind Paddle will pull back into my lap, but folding it up while underway is challenging. Perhaps I will get better over time.
  5. Speed.... to be determined. I need to get my wife out there so we can race them. Both sails are 1 sq meter, and both will move the kayak as fast as I can paddle in a 8-10 mph wind.
  6. Field of vision.... the winner hear goes to the PA type. At eye level. the window goes across my entire field of view, while the Wind Paddle is both wider at eye level, and the clear panel does not go across the entire sail.
  7. Ease of attachment.... goes to the Wind Paddle. It is simple, adjustable, and can be attached just about anywhere foreward there is a padeye or hatch strap. My PA type sail requires a "saddle" ( I made mine from closed cell foam) that allows for the sail to deploy fully open.
  8. Price..... Pacific Action new: $250
    Wind Paddle Adventure: $175
    PA style homemade sail $35 and about 6 man hours
Conclusion... well the jury is still out. I don't think it will replace my PA style sail, but it will make an easily stowable emergency sail if I have hardware failure, and it is also wonderful to have around for guests to use, and I can use it on my OK Malibu XL tandem without any modifications.

The WindPaddle could be moved from boat to boat easily, with no major modification. My PA style sail seems more substantial and rugged. I like the better field of view also. Both are fun !!
You can read more wind paddle info at windpaddle.com

Pelican Intl.: