Product Reviews > Canoes > Hornbeck Boats > Lost Pond 10 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Lost Pond 10 Canoe by Hornbeck Boats

Rated: 9.37/10 Based On: 19 Reviews

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

01-04-2010
Submitted by: tom tuffeySend Email

we have 3 10 footers and a 9. hundreds upon hundreds of hours and more fish caught, lost ponds explored, and photos taken. They are best beyond any doubt. When I blew on off the car and bounced it off the road, we brought it back to Pete who made it all better. Owning a Hornbeck or two is an adventure expanding move that can be experienced by anyone who can hoist an ultra light to a cartop and smile a lot.

10-28-2008
Submitted by: MikeSend Email

This is now my favorite canoe. It really got me back into canoeing after taking a couple years off. I can pick it up with one hand and throw it on the car and it paddles excellent. The boat is actually pretty good in rough water too, it just bobs up and down like a cork with no splashing. I highly recommend this boat

06-05-2008
Submitted by: SKASend Email

I just purchased a used Lost Pond 10 and just love it. I was looking for a short 10 to 13 foot canoe for taking my dog with on smaller streams. I though I might have to settle for a used white water canoe when I read a classified for a Hornbeck. I was lucky enough to be the first person to respond because the seller told me he had people lined up if I did not want the boat.

I have only had the boat for a week but have already done three rivers and a lake. Unfortunately the dog has only had one ride. I am 6'2" and 190 pounds and the boat fits me fine. My kevlar boat weighs only 18 pounds and is a dream to carry, load, and paddle. I can turn it on a dime and give you eight cent change. I can also keep up with a mid size kayak or a river cruiser but can easily go places they can't.

This boat isn't perfect for everything - that is why it is my third boat. However is is fun, versatile, and so light I am the envy of all my friends.

08-03-2007
Submitted by: woodsmanSend Email

Due to an increasing bad back, I had to get a boat that's lighter than our 43 pound canoe and 38 pound kayak; it was just too painful to put them on the vehicle for transport. After some research and talking to a friend who has had two of these boats for years, it was an easy to decide on this canoe.

And it's a dandy -- faster than my kayak and even faster than the canoe, tracks well and is very stable. Mine is a kevlar/carbon fiber combination with cherry and ash trim that has garnered a lot of admiring comments -- especially when people learn that it weighs a mere 15 pounds. Has to be one of the best purchases I've ever made. It's even handled pretty good sized waves when the wind came up on my favorite lake.

If you're looking for a lightweight boat that handles well and looks great buy one of these.

11-16-2006
Submitted by: CherieSend Email

Tonight, I took possession of my new Kevlar 10ft. 16# canoe. Pete Hornbeck, Simon and Chad delivered it to my house --what a nice thing to do!--as there were none in the shop when I stopped ot order one and they came my way for some good fishing and offered to bring it to me! I had to try it out before putting it up for storage ( snow this Sunday). It zips across my 3/4 A pond like a water strider---easily and speedily. It turns on a dime! What a joy to have. I own a 25# Sportspal but this puts that to shame. I am 71 and find getting in and out no problem and the sitting is comfortable. Believe me, I can't wait for spring to come. I no longer have to phone someone to come take my canoe down for me, or put it on my car, etc. I CAN do it myself! It adds to my independence not to have to wait for help if I want to go for a ride in it. I's the best gift I ever gave myself! I have back problems and can't use the double ended paddle but my own paddle works just fine. Wish I had found this canoe years ago!

10-16-2006
Submitted by: JLSend Email

I just received a 10'6" solo canoe in carbon about a week and a half ago. It came in a huge cardboard tube with wood ends screwed in. The boat was compressed to fit in the tube. The thwarts were removed to accommodate the required compression. The canoe came out of the tube a little scratched up from vibrating in the tube - which is a real bummer, the rest of the canoe is beautiful. Assembly of the twarts was pretty easy. It is impressive how light it is.

I paddled the canoe around the local harbor on two occasions for an hour and a half each time. As anticipated, the boat is pretty unstable when entering, but while paddling it is very stable. I have paddled a kayak so paddling was intuitive. I expected the boat to yaw with each stroke, but was pleasantly surprised at how well it tracked. Due to the short length and my fat butt (at 190 pounds), the boat was not the fastest I have paddled, but again I was pleasantly surprised...it was faster than I expected it would be.

After getting used to the canoe, I took on the Pacific ocean on my third go. I had a 10 knot on shore crosswind and an angled 2 to three foot swell at 6 seconds with a 6 inch or so wind chop. Again, the boat did better than expected. It tracked very well despite the angled swell and winds. it stayed on course even in quartering seas. The boat flexes some in waves and chop and the cheek compresses inward as it custs through a wave. This is to be expected in a boat this light. I would suspect with more chop I would be taking some water over the side, but it was dry and stable in the 6 inch chop I was out in.

The best part was pulling up to the kayak launch dock where I put in. With two sea kayakers just pulling in an struggling to get their boats out; I just hopped out of the canoe, reached down with one hand and pulled the boat out of the water and shouldered it in one move. They were impressed. I was loaded up and rolling while they were just getting their wheels out of their cars and heading back to the dock.

06-13-2006
Submitted by: JFLSend Email

Best Boat Ever. Makes getting to the water as much fun as being on it, as it weighs nothing. I've had mine on the smallest creek scratching allong the shallows, off the coast of maine in 4 foot swells, across lake champlain in big winds and everywhere in beetween. My dog loves it too. Blew of my roof on a short drive from the bay to the beach last week and was never the worst for wear.

10-05-2005

I am in mourning because I just sold my LP boat. Now live in Tucson and water is scarce. A great boat made by a great South Buffalo boy.

08-31-2004

After using a friends lost pond boat a few times I found a used 1 in Florida (no less). It's as close to the perfect boat (there is no perfect boat) as you could find. I have let several friends use my boat and at least 5 have gone and bought their own!

07-03-2003

Personal data: intermediate 195 lb. canoeist with only tandem experience prior to this boat. I generally paddle flatwater: ponds, streams, swamps. I have only used the Lost Pond boat for short paddles (1-3 hours), with no added gear.

I purchased a Lost Pond 10.5' in Kevlar/carbon fiber. Part of the fun of purchasing a Hornbeck boat is talking with Peter. I prefer the appearance of the Kevlar-carbon to Kevlar only. The skin-coat finish (no pigment) means you can see all cloth edges and variations in weave -- I consider these character marks. Ash gunwales with walnut decks, spruce thwarts, foam seat. Nice workmanship overall. Peter's assistant Simon Gardner is the actual builder of my canoe - thanks, Simon! Carbon-kevlar build is claimed to be 1 lb. lighter, but I haven't confirmed that..... probably more important for this paddler to lose weight than the canoe.

I am using a 260 cm Grey Owl Tempest paddle that I purchased with the canoe. This initially seems quite long, but as you are seated in the bottom of the canoe with a ~28" beam, this makes a lot of sense. In addition, the longer paddle promotes a flatter stroke, which helps keep too much dripping into the boat. However, some water WILL drip into the boat -- wear rain pants when the water is cold.

For such a short canoe, the tracking is remarkably good... it only yaws slightly (5 degrees??) with each stroke. Still turns fairly easily with sweep strokes. I'm still experimenting with leaning the boat to turn more quickly. Little or no tendency for weathercocking with wind due to low height and short length -- resulting balance allows me to paddle into, with, across, or at an angle to wind and waves and hold my course. Angling into chop (say 6-8") may cause some spray to enter the boat over the center of the upwind gunwale.... I haven't tried paddling in waves much larger than 1 ft., although others have (see Christine Jerome's book "An Adirondack Passage"). The canoe is not designed for high speeds, but does cruise efficiently and easily at more relaxed paces.

Good stability once you are seated; the trick to getting in is to sit down over the side and then swing your legs in... easily mastered. Seat is comfortable, but I find keeping my legs straight out in front uncomfortable, and prefer to keep them flexed. A foot brace or some sort of padding under the knees would help make this more comfortable.

The light weight is always a pleasant surprise when cartopping or carrying. I have had several other curious paddlers stop to look at the boat, so it's a nice way to meet and talk with others.

Why not a "10"? I don't think there is a perfect canoe, and I don't have enough experience yet to be sure about a 9. Nonethess, I'm very pleased with the Lost Pond and Peter Hornbeck, and highly recommend both!

05-08-2002
Submitted by: JohnSend Email

I took my Lost Pond 10 out on a windy lake and up a wind-protected river. It performed well in both circumstances. This was only my second time to use it, the first time in good weather. The lake was just beginning to turn to whitecaps, but the Hornbeck was great going into the wind. The bow raises beautifully to meet the waves, and the entry is fine enough to split the waves, rather than splashing them into my face. Holding a 45 degree angle was also no problem. This tracks great for its length.

A beginner would not like the primary stability (or lack thereof) but it is fine as you are sitting on the floor of the kayak. I used a OT Blacklight paddle and it worked very well. Not a fancy paddle, but light, inexpensive, and very functional. When I finally turned and went with the wind, the fun factor dropped. There was never a problem; I just like facing into waves.

In the protected water, the canoe showed surprising speed for its length. I think the fine entry has much to do with that. I have paddled some blunt bowed kayaks recently such as the Dagger Blackwater and this was more rewarding, though I cannot say for sure that it was faster. The 17 pounds is incredibly nice going on and off the car. The kevlar work is very nice. I cannot complain about any of its performance characteristics, as they are as much as one could hope for in this size of canoe.

The only complaint, and thus the score of 9, is the seat. It was fine for almost an hour, but that isn't long enough. I'll take a gel seat with me next time.

I'll report back after I have tried it on a river. I plan to adapt some extra flotation before I do.

10-28-2000
Submitted by: DaleSend Email

We love our kevlar Lost Pond 10. It was discovered (used, but excellent shape) among the royalexes in a family canoe shop. Best impulse buy I ever made. The Princess considers my Summersong too big for her. Now she can launch her LP without her staff (me) and make her way unimpeded by my helpful advice. She uses a double end paddle (didn't Nessmuk, too?) and sits on the foam provided. I run the boat backwards, kneeling on the foam. Many evenings find us on our little lake, watching the sunset and terrorizing the resident geese. The LP does just fine in the hussle back to the dock before dark, but its strength is not in speed, but in self-reliance.

07-18-2000
Submitted by: DanSend Email

The "Lost Pond 10" is a specialty canoe, however it accomplishes the maker's intended purpose very well! At 17 pounds it is perfect for hiking into small mountain ponds and in a pinch will provide good transportation to a favorite fishing spot upon larger waters with calm conditions. Excellent craftsmanship. A superb featherlight boat. I am selling mine because I don't use it enough to justify occupation of the storage space in my tiny garage/office.

07-15-2000

I have Peter's first built carbon/kevlar layup 10' canoe. At a pound less (16 lbs) than the standard kevlar it's not a lot lighter, but it sure looks sharp. For me it performs exceptionally well... it tracks straight and true when you want, and it heels over for beautifully carved turns or spins on a dime when you need it to. If you keep the load light and centered it does well in moderate waves, bow and stern bobbing like a cork. The biggest problem is not in cutting the waves, but rather with the wind blowing the water on board. Carry a sponge for that and for double blade paddle drips. In cold weather wear rain pants because your legs will get wet from the drips. I bushwhack from pond to pond in the Adirondacks and with a rigid rig attached to my backpack frame I wear the canoe "like a hat" to keep my hands totally free.

12-06-1999
Submitted by: GDBSend Email

My wife and I were Grummond canoe paddlers until we took an Adirondack Musuem-sponsored trip on the Eckford Chain of lakes. There we met a couple in Lost Pond Boats who let us try their craft. We went to Olmsteadville the next day and bought two 10 1/2 footers (one for each of us). The kevlar construction makes the boats light and sturdy and very easy to handle. We have used them on lakes, ponds, rivers, and smaller streams. I highly recommend them for anyone who wants to get into interesting places on the water.

08-25-1999
Submitted by: RCBSend Email

These are the lightest of our seven canoes and are a joy to carry in the back country. These are lightweight solo boats from Ruston designs. After our first paddle we bought a 10 1/2 footer(17lbs) and a 12'(22lbs). My wife feels she can explore on her own without me having to load the bigger boats. Since the initial purchase we have bought a used 10 1/2' for my daughter. These boats are expensive but worth every pound or lack of! They are very seaworthy and are great for reaching those wilderness areas to explore. They require a little practice getting into and out of but after that away you go. A double bladed paddle is used and you sit flat on the foam seat, legs extended. They even have room to carry gear for light weight tripping.

04-12-1999
Submitted by: Mike CrawfordSend Email

The Lost Pond is a Rushton Copy laid-up in Kevlar. It is very well made, but the fine lines and extremely narrow stems make it useless for river or creek paddling. It is very difficult to turn and with less than 6 inches of freeboard-you cannot "lean" it into a turn.

It is best suited to small lakes and ponds because its straight and narrow stems tend to cut instead of shed waves.

All in all a very seaworthy craft, and ideal for pond-hopping in the backcountry. It is however, quite expensive.

03-08-1999

I've paddled the Lost Pond boat for close to 10 years. It's great in waves and wind.It carries w/ ease. The only draw back is your legs and butt get numb. Peter needs to redesign the seat. All in all, everyone should own one. I'm even looking for a used one for my children.

01-20-1999
Submitted by: Art KeefeSend Email

This is an ultra lightweight Kevlar solo canoe suitable for backpacking. Seating is on floor on 3" styrofoam with styrofoam back on wood thwart. At 17 lbs it is stable and an excellent design for it's intended use.

Portage Pal: