Product Reviews > Kayaks > Swift > Saranac 14.6 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Saranac 14.6 Kayak by Swift

Rated: 8.86/10 Based On: 7 Reviews

08-27-2014
Submitted by:

We have owned a few boats over the years and we both now own Saranacs. 14.6 and 14. They handle like a dream and literally turn on a dime for the touring boats that they are. AS for some claiming them to be uncomfortable I guess they should have tried them out longer at first. Then again everyone is different hence the test paddle first. They have a very supportive and adjustable back piece unlike a sea kayak back band and are very adjustable. We had a couple of warranty issues with them and Bill Swift came down from Canada and took them back and returned them in 2wk. EXCELLENT customer service. For weekend trips they are great and store a lot of gear. When these wear out it will be another Swift and we are out in these 15-20/season.

04-29-2014

I bought 2 Swift Kayaks last year and my cousin also bought on. The are the most uncomfortable kayaks I have ever owned. The seats give little su8pport. We got no satisfaction from Mountain Sports - where we purchased them and after spending almost $3000 per boat, we were extremely disappointed. I never felt this uncomfortable in my Old Town kayaks.

07-26-2013
Submitted by: W.J. Send Email

The Swift Saranac 14.6 is an outstanding boat. It is fast, light weight, highly stable, when you need it to be and it tracks extremely well, even in high winds. I've been out in 2 foot waves and even bigger swells on Lake Ontario and the boat handles them with ease. It offers good secondary stability, so when it comes time to tilt the boat into a tight turn, it performs admirably.

I've had mine for several years now and the finish still looks brand new with an annual treatment of 303 Protectorant. The adjustable, padded seat is comfortable and the cockpit fits my 200 pound frame very well. My 110 pound wife finds it equally comfortable and has no trouble maneuvering around the lake, even though the footrests are set up for me.

It features two hatches, so there's lots of storage. However some water does tend to find it's way into these hatches. I believe it's water dripping off the paddle into the cockpit (I don't have a spray skirt).

My only complaint is the skeg. The control knob can get quite stiff if it hasn't been used of a while (as in an entire winter) A little bit of WD40 on the cable loosens it up just fine. Frankly, the boat tracks so well, I don't often use the skeg.

Bottom line: excellent boat.
The service I've received from Swift is great too.

07-10-2013

Two years of use have proven how extraordinary this boat is. Ultra-lightweight, incredibly stable, an ideal boat for lakes, rivers, even near-shore ocean if not too much swell activity. It moves so quickly with so little effort, in part from its weight and in part from its design. It has more than adequate storage and is a joy to use. The real key is the weight: there is nothing else like it, and the manufacturing quality is stellar. I have the 14' Saranac as well and am adding the Bering for sea-kayaking. That should make a fairly strong statement. It is worth every penny, especially for the weight (lack thereof).

09-17-2009

I purchased a barely used Swift Saranac 14.6 in Feb. 2009. This kayak features Carbon/Kevlar construction and a retractable skeg. This a very nice boat overall, what I most like about it is its light weight (38lbs), excellent tracking and easy turning. The seat is very comfortable plus the Kajak Sport Hatch covers are easy to use.

On the down side the boat is not as fast as I had hoped, figure you can get 2-3mph out of the boat as confirmed by my GPS. I did have some trouble with one of the hatch cowlings coming loose from the deck (definitely a manufacturing defect) but the dealer gave me the epoxy and I made the repair myself.

The boat holds a ton of gear if you're into camping. I have paddled this kayak on everything from small ponds to Long Island Sound with a 3' swell. The boat handles very well and predictable even when taking waves from the beam.

10-03-2007
Submitted by: Ed ThompsonSend Email

I just bought this yak in Ontario last week. It has a very nice cockpit size, handles very well, easy to lift up and mount on a kayak rack on my truck. It is a trilon/ kevlar composite yak.
The sales persons in OXTOUNGE Ont.were very helpful.
I'm now a happy Ohio Buckey!

09-01-2007
Submitted by: Peter HagbergSend Email

What an excellent boat this is for the money. I purchased one in trilon and one for my wife (a 14') they so far surpass our expectations. Having put in over 100 miles this month alone in all kind of conditions, I can say the boat tracks like it is on rails and it is a very efficient and fast David Yost hull design. That in addition to the drop down skeg I have had no issues with weathercocking even on Lake Ontario. I did have a problem with the seat but that was remedied by Bill Swift himself. Incredible customer service, I sent him an email and he answered right away and brought down a new seat from the factory the next week.

The boat has incredible initial stability and the secondary is very impressive as well. You can edge the boat and it turns on a dime without any feeling of going over. A good boat for beginers and veterans. We purchased these from Bay Creek Paddling Center in Rochester NY. They were very knowledgeable and professional. I would purchase another boat from them and we look forward to upgrading our Swifts to composites in a few years. Keep up the excellent work Bill.