Product Reviews > Kayaks > Ocean Kayak > Prowler 15 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Prowler 15 Kayak by Ocean Kayak

08-13-2013

I've had my Ocean Kayak Prowler Angler for 5 years and love it. It's great for larger folks (250lbs) but you may have to plug the scupper holes to keep water out. Very stable, tracks well (seldom use the rudder) and has a large tank well for my fishing gear. Handles surf and swells easily. The rubber like full seat is the most comfortable I've used, too bad you can't buy separately for my other yaks.

07-27-2013
Submitted by: DonSend Email

Purchased this kayak used about a week ago. According to serial number appears to be a 2008 model and also says BLEM in front of serial number. I am 65 years old 5'9" and weigh 185. I also own two older double hatch and one newer TW Scupper Pros.

I live on Kauai and primarily use my kayaks for paddling Na Pali coast and camping at Kalalau beach. Just back from a five day camping trip along coast. I love the big tankwell for bringing along a large cooler, very stable in rough seas and tracks well (I do have rudder) The bow area is much smaller than my Scuppers and holds less gear, the hatch seal is terrible and kayak always had 2 to 3 inches of water in it, very poor design. You would think a company with Ocean as it's first name could design a water tight hatch.

This is a decent kayak but I still prefer my old Scupper Pro's

11-27-2012
Submitted by: AAGSend Email

I have had this boat for four years. This is an excellent sit on top boat. The Prowler 15 has some decent speed and excellent stability. I am 5'11 210 lbs and I feel comfortable in the boat. The Prowler really shines when loaded down with camping gear. The boat seems to perform better when weighted down a bit. Furthermore, the hatch space is great, and it is possible to slide gear all the way to the back of the boat. This is great for trimming the boat when you have a large load.

The Prowler is a great offshore fishing boat. It has done everything I expected it would when used as a fishing yak. The durability of the kayak is very good. I have been dragging it through the Everglades for four years now without any serious gashes. The kayak wind cocks and a rudder is almost absolutely necessary when dealing with strong winds and tides 20+ mph winds.

The Prowler handles big surf very well. The boat rides up over the top of large swells and surfs nicely into shore or when running offshore. The drainage in the footwell sucks, and I find the footwell a little uncomfortable at times. Do not let that deter you from getting this boat because the positives outweighs that negative. That said if you can find a new one at a kayak shop that's been laying around for years or find one used go for it. This boat will outperform the new Prowler models for half the price.

Lastly, you gotta have some muscle if you plan to use this boat. I lift it on top of my blazer no problem and paddle it 20 miles a day sometimes, but if you cannot dead lift 70lbs over your head go find something smaller. Get out on the water!!

05-27-2008

I love this boat! I own a Perception Prism SOT very nice but sits a little low in the water for a big guy like me (270#) Tracks great and fast.
Went out the other day in whitecaps. Inboard came by and left 3 foot wake. Handled it like a pro. My buddy watched from behind wondering whether I'd flop. No such luck.

I would recommend scupper plugs to limit the water in the footwell. Very stable boat. I went for a paddle on a calmer day with my standard poodle in standing in the tank well admiring the fish. I can't wait to take this baby fishing.

02-28-2008

I own a prowler 15 for the past 18 months had a Scupper Pro before.
The 15 is more stable and is more adaptable to fishing which I do a lot. The kayak is fast responsive - maneuvers well but can still track a strait line. I have tried many others including the new Trident, Tarpon 160i, and 140, Ride 135 and more. In my opinion the 15 still offers the best all around kayak for a person who's looking for a long fast and maneuverable SOT to fish from.
I would give it a 10 if it had the added primary stability and speed the 160i gives and still keep it's maneuverability skills.

08-28-2007

I'm a 6'2" 230lb rookie kayaker. Just bought the 15'Prowler yesterday for $509 (retail $849) at an end of the year dealer clearance sale. Tried the Prowler 13, Wilderness Pungo 140, Pungo 120, Wilderness Search, and Old Town Cayuga 14. The Prowler 15 is better than any of them for my recreational day touring use. Very stable primary and secondary, great tracking (without rudder) and easy to maneuver. Versatile rigging with great storage fore and aft. Bought scupper hole plugs to keep water out of the foot area and they worked perfectly. This boat is only two pounds heavier than the 13' version but tracks better and is faster.

The only negative was the seat was uncomfortable (no butt padding and low back), so I had to buy a $90 high back which gave back support. It carries over 400 pounds and handled well in the Florida gulf. At this point I would highly recommend it!