Product Reviews > Kayaks > Pelican International > Pursuit 140 DLX Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Pursuit 140 DLX Kayak by Pelican International

Rated: 8.5/10 Based On: 6 Reviews

07-11-2011
Submitted by: DLFSend Email

Just bought two of these and we love ours. Came with two paddles per boat plus car carrier tie downs and pads for vehicle. We wanted to get involved for as little as possible and these Pelicans fit the bill.

06-30-2011
Submitted by: Tyler TompkinsSend Email

We just bought the Pursuit 140DLX for my mom's birthday and took it out on the lake today. It was so much fun! Very stable, I even tried to tip my mom and I over and could not do it. I love the paddle holders and the bright yellow color. We got the last one on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods for $499.

The only thing that I wish was different was that the seat backs were about 4 or 5 inches higher. We ended up putting square boat cushions on our backs and that helped. We love our Banana Boat!

09-26-2008
Submitted by: DLSend Email

Bought the 140 dlx Pelican touring kayak and love it. Plenty of storage and works its way well through the swells of Lake Michigan and the small lakes in my area alike. Paid $700 for it and well worth the money. Comfortable seat and the drop down skeg really helps with tracking. Have used this for numerous day trips and couldn't be happier. Great kayak for the price... you won't be disappointed if you get this yak... it's terrific.

07-29-2008

You get what you pay for!
Fun first Kayak. It was definitely a positive first experience. The seats were comfortable but no matter how we positioned them my wife and I were clinking paddles constantly. There is no dry storage. No ballast either, so if you fill this boat in deep and rough water you could loose it.

On the plus side, it was stable and, in easy conditions, very comfortable. The skeg, when it finally came down, seemed to help the tracking. I did not like that the plastic material was very soft and tended to sag in the sun while on top of the car and I felt very insecure while transporting it. We used it three times, and although we enjoyed the experience, we felt the need to upgrade to a boat of better quality.
I give it a 6 (maybe 7) of 10

06-06-2008
Submitted by: ESSend Email

This is my first kayak. The goal was to get my wife and 8 yr. old son on the water. Believe it or not, we all fit. There is enough room in the front for them to sit together on a short Sunday paddle (both are slim). I am not crazy about the paddles, however, as they are a bit too heavy even for me (and I am rather muscled). I would add a couple drain holes along sides so it's easier to clean/drain. Also, the seat-backs could use 4 inches of extra height. Otherwise it's a great buy (BJ's had it for $469 USD), can be handled by one paddler from the rear seat, tracks well, and feels very stable.

07-30-2007

This is my second kayak that I have purchased in a little over a year. Overall it is a great kayak for the money. The drop-down skeg is a huge plus. My previous kayak had neither a skeg nor rudder and the difference this one makes is huge.

I use mine at least once a week, mostly on a tidal river. Recently, however, I took it into the Currituck Sound (Outer Banks of North Carolina) in choppy, 3' - 4' swells. It handled great. There are some important features or aspects though that I wish I had known though prior to purchasing (although I still would have bought it).

First, this kayak does not have bulkheads compartmentalizing the interior of the kayak. This is important because there is the very real potential for it to sink if it were to become fully swamped. Float bags are commercially available that can help counteract this issue. Another important use for bulkheads is that they separate your storage compartments.

The Pursuit 140DLX contains two "watertight" storage compartments. The first one is just in front of the cockpit. On the outside it looks like a typical screw on, watertight lid, however all the lid is really sealing is a nylon bag that hangs down into the inside of the kayak (the bag does not stay hanging very well either). The second compartment is fairly large, but very shallow and can't hold much. Neither compartment is really fully watertight and Pelican to their credit does not promise them to be. Truth be told, these compartments are more complimentary to day trips which the kayak itself is only intended for. There is ample store space inside the kayak too which can be filled nicely with dry bags if say you were going on an overnight camping trip.

A second factor to consider is the weight. Although it is comparable to other kayaks of it's size and material, at 57+ pounds it is fairly heavy. I use a kayak cart and that helps greatly. I still need help getting it on top of the car. Hully Rollers by Yakima also help with that.

If you want a true expedition kayak, this is not what you should be buying. If you want a fun, sturdy and very stable recreational kayak with the look and feel of a larger touring style kayak, then this is a good choice. It is especially good for the price, which is nearly half of the other brands in the same class such as Perception's Carolina.

Overall, I am very happy with this kayak. If you're looking at buying your first kayak, then I would strongly recommend this one over a shorter recreational kayak. You will get a better feel for what a longer, larger kayak can do for you. The stability and roominess of the cockpit is very inviting and will keep you longing to get back out on the water.

Rendezvous River Sports