Product Reviews > Kayaks > Sevylor > Ocean Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Ocean Kayak by Sevylor

01-27-2010

My wife and I love this kayak. It is very stable. It does not track very well at all through the water so the strong kayaker has to be seated in the rear to compensate. Keep in mind we are less experienced than most. I have not tried it with one person in the middle. My main reason for writing this review, the rudder that is sold as an accessory. It doesn't work with the XK17. With the rudder support mounted on the kayak, the actual rudder will not attach since the kayak is in the way. I had to modify the rudder to make it work for me. I contacted the manufacturer "Coleman" for advise but they blew me off. If you purchase this rudder, you are on your own and you will need metal working experience to get it to work. I would like some feedback on the sail kit if anyone out there had experience with one.

07-06-2007

This is a great boat for multipurpose, voyage, adventure, fishing etc. It is self bailing, but that feature should only be needed in heavy waves or surf or whitewater. It is extremely stable. It is great for heavy people. It has a weight capacity up to 800 lbs. The seat tends to slide forward, losing the full back support. A cooler, behind it, will solve that problem. It takes three seats, and will take two large and one small person in the middle. I paid about $800 for it, and also bought the rudder. I never use it, but it might be helpful. Especially if you buy a sail kit. Sailboatstogo.com recommends Sevylor boats for its sail kits. Outriggers are optional with this boat.

The downside is that the hull speed is slow for paddling, but that is unavoidable without spending triple the money for a comparable heavy duty inflatable. Get the largest longest paddles you can. A strong person can paddle this better with the big paddles, plus the wide boat demands them if you don't hold your paddles high. I bought the Sea Eagle Paddles.
Sevylor is now owned by a California company, but still made in China.