Product Reviews > Kayaks > Hurricane Kayaks > Santee 116 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Santee 116 Kayak by Hurricane Kayaks

Rated: 8.86/10 Based On: 7 Reviews

07-03-2014

I had the Santee 116 kayak for quite a few years and loved it, it was comfortable and easy to handle, had to give it up because it was to hard to get in and out at the age of 72, got a cheap model with a long cockpit, should have got the 116 sport model instead. Still promote Santee.

07-25-2013
Submitted by: Lisa LSend Email

I purchased my Hurricane Santee 116 last year after borrowing my sister's. With Hurricane's composite material, it is the lightest weight kayak I could fined of its class. It glides through the water, has comfortable rigging, a large storage area, and plenty of room inside for me. Additionally, it is one of the best looking boats on the water. I always get compliments. I love my Santee and recommend it to everyone who wants a roomy, lightweight flat water boat.

07-22-2013
Submitted by: Marsha GSend Email

I've had my Santee 16 for a few years and it has become our "go to" kayak. It's such a stable, sturdy and lightweight kayak. It's width makes it less tippy and therefore perfect for the novice paddler. It tracks straight and I can almost keep up with my husband in his Santee 135. I find it great for checking out the quiet coves with my camera.

12-02-2010
Submitted by: GDH

Recreational kayaks must compromise between tracking and maneuverability. The other compromise is between speed and stability. The Santee does all of these things remarkably well. It is also light, stiff and beautiful as well as durable. If you don't love this boat after you've paddled it, you just need to learn to paddle.

07-21-2009

My wife owned this boat as her first kayak for two seasons. Light weight and being able to get the boat on and off the car were high on her list of criterion for selecting this boat. Actual experience with the boat, which was used by myself occasionally, a teenage daughter, and my wife, was mixed.

It was very stable and very well manufactured. And light. But it did not track well for any of us, and that aspect was very frustrating. This year we traded the kayak for a Hurricane Tampico 135L and that is a much more satisfactory boat. For the first time, my wife feels that she can actually control the boat and is enjoying our trips together, rather than always complaining about the tracking of the boat.

06-04-2009
Submitted by: ARSSend Email

Just picked up a used Hurricane Santee and could not be happier with the boat. The boat looks great and is light as a feather. The trylon material it is made of looks like a fiberglass boat. The boat is as stable as a rock and tracks very well too. The storage in the bow and stern are very handy and very uncommon on a boat this size. Love the boat and looking forward to paddling it more.

06-25-2007
Submitted by: HustonSend Email

I enjoy the few times I have been out immensely. My experience is limited though, so I can't really give a review versus owning another kayak.

It does really well. I can track straight in it, and it does pretty well in all the environments I have had it in. I do wish it had a little more seat to it though.