Product Reviews > Canoes > Bell Canoe Works > Prodigy Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Prodigy Canoe by Bell Canoe Works

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

08-04-2013
Submitted by: AlanSend Email

I've had my Prodigy for 3 years and I've paddle up to Class II+ whitewater with it. The Prodigy does not have high initial stability but secondary stability is excellent and it fosters a high degree of confidence. The boat is also very responsive and dry. It's glide is somewhat better than most playboats but it still requires constant correction. I have problems getting a consistent carve with the Prodigy. Though I've paddled big waters with it, the Prodigy shines best in medium to small rivers.

05-17-2007

To put some reviews of this canoe (some guys wrote the Prodigy is running pretty wet) into perspective: I'm 5'5" and 145 lbs. I found the Prodigy a very dry ride even through 4 ft wavetrains. Installed the pedestreal according to Bob Foote's specs and although I installed twin pumps right away, so far I got to use them only with rolling sessions in the pool. The canoe responds extraordinary to carving turns and I have yet to find an eddy where I really need my paddle: mostly I'm able to eddy in and out with my butt.
Initial stability is so/so but final is outstanding. The material seems somewhat soft compared to Esquifs or (of course) the older Daggers or Mohawks - that's why my Bell is only getting an 8 out of 10 points.
Performance wise I would give her a 12....one of the fastes playboats one can own