Product Reviews > Kayaks > Advanced Elements, Inc. > AdvancedFrame Expedition Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for AdvancedFrame Expedition Kayak by Advanced Elements, Inc.

Rated: 9.12/10 Based On: 17 Reviews

AdvancedFrame Expedition Kayak by Advanced Elements, Inc.

Length: 13' 0" - Width: 32.00" - Starting at: $679.99
See More Details about this Kayak
Advanced Elements, Inc. Logo

08-07-2013

This boat is a good option if you need portability. It is stable and comfortable. It tracks well, but also turns well for its length. It has decent tie-downs and excellent weight capacity. You can add a spray skirt if desired. (Also note that if you are NOT using a spray skirt, and you have long legs as I do at 6'3", you can open the zipper of the bow a bit to allow you to bring your knees up a bit.)

When fully inflated, this yak cruises decently for an inflatable, although you would need the backbone to get the best gliding and speed capability out of it. (Using the backbone does take a little extra set-up time and also adds some bulk and weight when transporting the folded/deflated boat. Make sure you have the backbone well centered. A lower-weight, easier-to-use, more compact option for enhancing glide may be to use the high-pressure drop-stitch floor instead of the backbone, although this adds more cost.) With the standard configuration, GPS showed close to 3 mph w/ fairly easy paddling, 3.4 to 3.9 w/ steady to firm paddling, and up to 4.4 or so at a sprint (add about 0.2 to 0.5 if you are using the backbone, and subtract about 0.2 to 0.5 if you are under-inflated). Note however, that without the backbone, its speed capability is equivalent to only about a 10-foot hardshell. It seems that since having it fully inflated is important for best performance, but the instructions warn you to NOT over-inflate, then Advanced Elements should include an accurate, low-pressure-range gauge with the necessary adapters with each boat they sell to ensure proper inflation.

The boat does have a rather slick appearance. Seems very durable. One potential drawback is that it does take a while for it to fully dry out after use - so if you don't have the option after a given paddling to leave it inflated for drying out, you would need to later then lay it back out or even inflate it to allow it to finish drying out. Another drawback could be that there is no drain valve.

Overall, a good quality portable boat w/ decent performance.

09-05-2012
Submitted by: RR

Love it. I own 2, this one and the smaller Advanced Frame. They weigh little, take up almost no room, are very easy to inflate and track well. I have the backbone but have not used it, even when I went offshore.

06-03-2012
Submitted by: RickSend Email

This light, air-filled boat is the Advanced Elements Expedition and is 13 feet long. I have had it off the coast (Monerey Bay)but use in on lakes or rivers for the most part. I own 4 kayaks: 2 hard and 2 inflatable. If I were to buy another kayak it would be an Advanced Elements boat.

09-01-2011

Everything I said about the AE Convertible goes for this kayak as well. The Expedition paddles more easily and tracks slightly better but is less spacious. It does have a nice foot brace which is easy to adjust for my 5' wife and for me at 5'9". There are lots of tie downs for extra gear, though if I were doing a multiday tour I'd take the Convertible for the extra carrying capacity under deck. I was planning on buying only one kayak as my wife said she wasn't interested in kayaking. We'd canoed for 25 years and she was stuck. After my first time out in the Expedition I was smiling so much that she became suspicious that I'd met a beautiful woman on the river and insisted on trying out the kayak herself. I couldnt' get her out so ordered the Convertible (1 or 2 person or 1 person and a big dog or kids or...). We sold our 42-lb. We-no-nah Kevlar canoe last spring. I have fished from the kayak and love it's stability. It would be nearly impossible to tip it over so it makes for a stable fishing platform. It's easy to get into and out of so it would be perfect for "large" people and people who are not nimble enough to slither down into a "normal" hard-shell kayak. Get one, you'll love it.

04-27-2011

Decided to buy two kayaks this year but my small car would not have held the weight on the roof. Found Advanced Elements inflatables and bought two. About the only drawback is the time and effort it takes to deflate and get back into their bags. Other than that, these boats are great! They track well, are super stable and so comfortable I'm tempted at times to drop anchor and take a nap! Very well made, tough material that I've tested on rocky surfaces already, they seem like they'll hold up for years. Highly recommended!

02-25-2011
Submitted by: WASend Email

If someone doesn't have a lot of extra storage space, like a garage, this is perfect. It fits in the trunk of a car and in the closet of your apartment. It performs much like a hardshell and outperforms most inflatables. Great kayak.

08-03-2009

I have had this boat for about a year now and still get compliments on the thing. Usually everyone thinks because you have an inflatable that they will have to wait up on you but after being on the water for just a little bit it becomes evident that it is I who is doing the waiting.

The boat with the backbone tracks very well compared to other hardshells and turns better than one in comparison to the same size. The only complaints are that the top deck does leak a little so you will have water in your boat at the end of the day but not much. Also if you ever flip it then it is extremely hard to get all the water out due to the inflatable floor. But other than that I have taken this boat out on rough water and smooth water, rivers, lakes, and very shallow channels which due to its construction have not torn any holes in it. Do take caution with the deck risers; I have already replaced one due to over-inflation.

06-01-2009

I live in an apartment and have no space to store a full size hard shell kayak or canoe for that matter. My first purchase was a Sevylor Tahiti K-79HF kayak. The Tahiti was relatively easy to pump up and with paddle, pump, and pfd would stow in a large duffel bag. Handling however, left something to be desired. Even with the optional skeg it didn't track well on flat water and the problem got worse with wind blowing across the water.

So, my next choice was a Sevylor K1 kayak. The K1 was nice but too small for my long legs. Searching around I settled on paying slightly more for a discounted Advanced Elements Advance Frame Expedition which I purchased from AirKayaks.com. I chose the Expedition for its larger size and thus more leg room.

My first impression upon receiving the kayak was how durable the construction appeared. The outer shell of the kayak is covered by a heavy duty nylon fabric and the bottom is coated by a thick pvc material. Shape is given to the bow and stern by internal metal frames. Valves to pump up all chambers are easy to use and the large valves that inflate the main chambers also allow rapid deflation when storing the kayak. The kayak has a few neat features that make it more comfortable.

The seat has a lumber support bladder that you can inflate and deflate by mouth while you're in the boat so that you can tailor just how much support you want on the fly. Also, there is a foot bar that can be adjusted depending on how long your legs are. The foot bar gives you something to brace your feet against making you feel more secure in the cockpit. An optional spray skirt can seal the cockpit by attaching around an inflatable coaming. As I learned the hard way, on Lake Michigan, the spray skirt is pretty much a necessity in any paddling situation where waves are large or choppy if you don't want to paddle with water sloshing around in the cockpit. There is ample storage space behind the seat and even in front of your feet, depending on how tall you are.

I did have a couple gripes with the design of the kayak though. My first is that the stretch cords on the front deck are too far away from the cockpit to allow easy access to anything placed under them, even if you have long arms like I do. You can get closer to the cords by unzipping the zipper that runs from the coaming part way down the center of the spray deck. Still, I would have preferred having the gear straps closer to the cockpit.

My second gripe is that the seat doesn't have enough padding. I would have preferred thicker padding in the bottom part of the seat. The kayak comes with its own large duffel that has enough room to hold the kayak and a pump but not enough room for two-piece paddles and a pfd, however it still meets my criteria of taking up little space in either the apartment or the car.

I think the Expedition weighs slightly more than my Tahiti. If I had to carry it a long distance I'd prefer to put it on a rolling baggage dolly rather than shoulder it - it's simply too heavy and awkward, however it's still far more portable than a rigid hard shell. Set up time goes quickly once you learn how much air to pump into all the chambers. The only thing to really pay attention to is making sure the floor is in straight as you inflate it. I've found you have to periodically turn the boat over while inflating to make sure the floor is in straight since its a separate piece that is unattached to the side tubes. Getting the floor crooked can affect how the boat tracks in the water.

The kayak is surprisingly rigid once it's pumped up. In colder weather, the inflatable floor actually helps insulate you from cold penetrating into the boat from the water. On the water the kayak tracks well, even in high winds. It handles far more like a true hard shell kayak. I don't have the backbone accessory but have read from other reviews that it apparently makes the tracking even better. Given its large size (13' long), it won't turn on a dime, but then it's not a whitewater kayak but is more intended for long distance paddling with lots of gear. The Expedition feels very stable in the water and seems almost impossible to roll. You can roll the kayak (I've seen videos of it), however it's so stable it won't roll without some serious incentive.

Overall I've found my Expedition to be a joy to paddle and it even commands some respect from traditional hard shell kayakers when they see how well it's constructed compared to lesser inflatables. If you're limited on space to store a hard shell kayak and don't want to pay for the extra cost and complexity of a folding kayak you can't do better than to buy an Advanced Elements inflatable. One final plus is the forum community on the Advanced Elements website. If you have any questions about your 'yak or how to accessorize it you'll find expert help on their forum in the form of fellow AE inflatable owners as well as company experts.

05-18-2009

I live in a condo, so needed a kayak I could pack away, take anywhere and not have to leave on the roof of the car. I did a lot of research on inflatables before I bought this one. These were not available in Singapore at the time, so the best deal I could get was from www.airkayaks.com in Canada! About a month after it arrived, a new dealer sprang up in Singapore!!! Typical!

When I first took it out of the box, I was immediately impressed with the strength of the materials. This was the toughest inflatable I had seen, so I was immediately reassured that this was a good quality yak.

It comes with a dual action hand pump, which is great, but I also bought a battery operated Coleman pump which does about 75% of the inflation. You do have to be careful not to over-inflate the floor, so the hand pump is good to finish off. With the floor, just inflate until the tubes fill and push your finger onto the floor - it should be firm, but you should be able to depress your finger until you touch the bottom surface. Once you sit inside, your body weight adds to the firmness. The Coleman is great for deflation too - just plug it into the valve, turn it on and let it do all the work!

The first inflation was easy enough and took about 15 minutes, just using the hand-pump. The second inflation was faster - 6 minutes!! I can take this out, inflate it and be ready to go in the same time it takes my friend to unstrap his yak from his car, get all his things together and carry it down to the launch!

I use mine for fishing too! At first I was a little nervous about hooks and an inflatable, but as long as you are organized, it really is no problem. I made up some rod holders and a fish-finder mount out of uPVC tubing. If you have a look on the Advanced Elements website and go to their forum, you will see my adventures!

I don't have the backbone installed in my kayak. As long as you take a few seconds to ensure the floor is centralized, it tracks straight and slices through the waves without any problem.

Since I bought mine, there's a few more people interested in Singapore and have already placed their orders! It's gonna be fun to have a few of us out fishing at the same time.

Is there a down-side? The only down-side is that you do have to make sure the yak is dry before you store it for a while. I'm out every weekend, so I just wipe it down when I am ready to pack it away - it is 30 deg.C + here though, so it doesn't take long to dry!

I set myself a realistic budget. Value for money, bang for buck, this yak is superb. My only worry is that it might be heavy rain at the weekend and I can't get out on the yak!! I love it!

05-15-2009
Submitted by: HollySend Email

I have owned both the AdvancedFrame Expedition and the AdvancedFrame single for a couple of years. I absolutely love them.

When properly inflated the inner tubes expand to fill up the kayak, pressing against the floor and the hull. There is nothing that flaps around. When lifted up at one end, it is stiff and does not sag. I even use the optional backbone and the floor is so solid that it cannot be felt when paddling.

I've taken this kayak on 10 mile trips a number of times - through calm water, winds, heavy duckweed, very shallow water levels and tule reeds. It is comfortable, versatile, paddles wonderfully, is rugged and extremely stable. I've never had it spin in circles, though I have been in some kayaks from other manufacturers that do. I personally feel the AdvancedFrame series are some of the best values in inflatables on the market.

Additionally, I have worked closely with Advanced Elements for several years. Their customer service is about the best you can find - they stand behind their products, respond quickly and go "above and beyond" to answer questions/solve problems. Possibly if the person had spent some time with customer support when experiencing their problems, some of the issues might have been cleared up.

I would not hesitate to recommend the AdvancedFrame series of kayaks to anyone.

05-13-2009

My son and I have been thoroughly enjoying our Advanced Elements Expeditions on many different waterways, in many different conditions, from still, flat water to 25-30 knot winds, waves, and large swells on the sea. In every case, our Expeditions have performed impressively and have inspired confidence in their design and capabilities: their tracking, gliding, stability, and comfort.

Our experience is exactly the opposite of the reviewer who gave this craft the lowest possible rating. Mind you, it took a few times to know how to set up the 13' EXP right; and our previous experience with the smaller 10'5" Advanced Frame undoubtedly was a help. We are great advocates of the BackBone accessory, which, with the aluminum forms, gives a rigid internal architecture to this kayak that will give it a hull speed and an ability to take on large waves that will equal a hard shell of similar beam and length.

Initial set-up is important, as it is, say, for folding kayaks, such as the Feathercrafts (their Kahuna performs in a generically similar way, incidentally). There are a few "tricks" one learns in aligning the BackBone and the floor until a perfect set-up takes no more than ten minutes, tops. Placing the BackBone over the bow's landing skid and the stern's skeg is not difficult, once one uses both hands, inside and outside the hull. Inflating the floor a bit to give it shape before installing it over the BackBone also ensures a symmetrical line-up. Of course - and of prime importance - the main chambers and floor must (I repeat "must") be inflated to a good and firm level - or the kayak simply will not work well at all (I can almost hear Mae West saying, "A hard kayak is good to find"). Sitting back as far as one can in the cockpit is also important. Note that the storage space in the stern would be compromised were the cockpit placed farther back: hence, the need to sit back and engage that skeg to good purpose.

All these little refinements add up to a great gain for a great kayak, but Advanced Elements kayaks, like all IKs and folding kayaks, require somewhat commensurate mental advancement to get the best out of their designs. There is a learning curve, which is steeper, the longer the IK. Thus, the 8'4" Lagoon (Dragonfly XC, Skedaddle) is almost fool-proof. Just pump it up, and it is ready to hit the water. The 10'5" requires more attention, especially if a BackBone is installed - but well worth the little bit of extra effort, given the improvement in performance.

The hull speed of the Expedition is greater than the AF 1, and, again, especially with a BackBone, this craft will glide in a straight line, will paddle at a tangent against steady whitecaps and winds without much weathercocking, and will show a remarkable seaworthiness in all waters. Many of my family and friends have paddled my Expedition; all are astonished by its performance, especially those who have owned hard shells. So, why is my son's and my experience of this kayak so categorically different from some and so similar to others? We are too busy using these wonderful IKs to worry about the answer.

10-01-2008

This entry describes early experience with an Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame Expedition inflatable kayak. At 65, and only moderately mobile/active, I'm hardly the "model" kayaker. Or even the model AdvancedFrame Expedition kayaker. So I offer this with the hope my experience will encourage other older folks to expand their enjoyment of nature from this different perspective.

Since March of this year I've been learning to kayak in a wide and very stable Sea Eagle 330. It's been a great boat. Very forgiving. Durable. And fun. Ideal for learning. A great take-along on camping trips near ponds and lakes throughout South Carolina. But after a couple of months of paddling, those trips began to stretch from two, to five, to eight or nine miles. And to several hours each. As nice as the Sea Eagle has been, it simply isn't the sort of boat designed for those longer trips.

So, I scoured the Internet for additional information, and found a number of options. They included several very attractive offerings in the $950-$1,600 price range. Well, that's just too much money for a soon-to-retire country school teacher to justify. In addition, some of the most attractive folding models appeared to take longer to assemble and disassemble than I could afford. And also appeared to require more attention and care than I might be competent to provide. Several of them were very attractive boats. But all were beyond my economic and technological reach.

The Advanced Elements AF Expedition seemed to be the ideal compromise. Judging from the on-line information available. It was a combination foldable/inflatable. With a simple, reliable design. It was considerably longer and sleeker than the Sea Eagle 330. With a spray deck that could even accommodate a spray skirt for late fall and winter paddling. It was an inflatable that seemed to represent a logical step up. So I ordered one from Campmor and a healthy discount. It arrived week before last.

The Expedition arrived via UPS in one large cardboard box. Our friendly UPS driver brought it to the back door, and then offered to bring it inside for us. Point being, this is not a puny boat! It's considerably heavier than the tandem Sea Eagle 330. Though certainly lighter than many, if not most, hard-shell kayaks. I brought the box into the living room and immediately unpacked everything. Assembly was simple. Just follow the printed instructions. To learn more about the construction of the kayak, this first time I took everything apart before the first inflation. Though I left the two inflation chambers in their canvas tubes since they didn't appear to be crooked. I looked over every inch of the boat, with special attention to seams and zippers. The quality of materials and construction is impressive. I didn't expect this much at such a modest purchase price. It really is well constructed. And I liked the simplicity of the design. Keep in mind, my experience with kayaks is very limited. And textile engineering isn't my field. This is just the initial impression of a particularly fussy consumer. But this particularly fussy consumer was impressed!

The initial installation took me 45 minutes, including disassembly and inflation of all chambers. I immediately deflated and did it again. The second time it took 14 minutes to unfold, align the floor properly in the pre-assembled kayak, and to inflate all tubes. Given the Expedition's greater complexity, I was surprised by how little time it takes to assemble it, compared to the Sea Eagle. I then deflated the boat, folded it up as prescribed in the instructions and returned it to its sturdy canvas carrying case.

A word about carrying cases. The Sea Eagle 330 came with a very sturdy canvas carrying bag. But it was impossible for me to carry comfortably. The canvas bag for Advanced Elements Expedition proved even nicer than the Sea Eagle's. Sturdy canvas; sturdy zippers; solidly attached carrying handles; and plenty of room for the boat and paddling accessories. It was some improvement over the Sea Eagle duffel bag-type design. But not by much. It too, at least for me, was cumbersome to carry for any distance.

So, I abandoned the Advanced Elements Expedition carrying case and put the Expedition in a folding case sold as an accessory by Sea Eagle. It is a simple design. An oblong piece of sturdy canvas with squares cut out of each corner, and straps and d-rings positioned to make it possible to lay the folded kayak and accessories in the center of the canvas, fold the longer ends of the canvas over the kayak and accessories, tighten the two straps provided, and then fold the remaining sides up over the whole thing, cinching it all down with three straps. The long carrying straps make it possible to throw the packed boat and accessories up over a shoulder and carry it along quite comfortably. Well, comfortably for a while, at least. According to our house scales, the boat and accessories all packaged weighs in at 63 pounds. Much heavier than the Sea Eagle. But made manageable by one person by the Sea Eagle special carrying case. Perhaps Advanced Elements will offer their own fold-over-and-strap-up case in the future.

The next day I took the Expedition to a small lake at a nearby state park for its first paddle. I was concerned about getting in and out of the Expedition given the cockpit size. The open-deck Sea Eagle had been no problem. This was a different matter. Well, the closed deck and cockpit did make entry and exit more difficult. I didn't attempt a totally dry entry from the shore. Rather, I waded the boat out into water deep enough to float it and entered the cockpit one leg at a time. The first attempt was challenging. I managed it without tipping over. [As I had with the Sea Eagle's first attempt.] But the second and third attempts were much easier. As everyone on the newsgroup said they would be.

The Advanced Elements seat with the inflatable lumbar support proved far more comfortable than I expected. The straps that connect the back to the side chambers must be adjusted to their proper length. And the footrest must be positioned properly for maximum comfort. But once adjusted it's a comfortable ride.

One surprise was the benefits derived from a closer fit in the cockpit. I'd read about this but didn't understand it. The closer fit between hips and boat make it easier to control the kayak, and, I believe, make it a more stable ride. So, I would encourage other older kayaker wannabes to try paddling an Expedition before deciding they need the more comfortable-looking Lazy Boy recliner-type large inflatable seats in an open-deck kayak like the Sea Eagles.

That brings up another point of importance to novice kayakers and kayaker wannabes. Stability. Just how easy is it to keep these boats upright in the water. Even though we wear proper paddling clothing and effective PFDs, most of us prefer to stay relatively dry when we paddle. Prefer to stay inside the boat rather than execute a paddle float-assisted wet entry in the middle of a lake. I certainly do, anyway.

I found the wide-beamed Sea Eagle 330 very stable, even encouraging. It took some serious effort to turn it over, in fact. And it handled moderate swells and waves very comfortably. Now, I'm not qualified to make a professional assessment of the relative stability of the Expedition and Sea Eagle. But the Expedition seems to me after a dozen or so paddles to be at least as stable as the Sea Eagle. I've yet to purposely turn the Expedition over. But that seems to require some effort. It's not a "tippy" boat in other words. Not at all. And the tighter fit of the boat at the seat makes it more responsive to corrective movements. Also, I've yet to paddle it in anything but moderate swells, with a 15-20 knot gusting wind. I'll try to report on both experiences once accomplished.

I was delighted with the performance of the Expedition when I finally got to paddle it across the small lake in our nearby state park. It's more responsive to the paddle. Easier to get up to speed. Glides nicely. Tracks nicely. And, according to my trusty GPS, cruises comfortably at between 30 to 35 percent faster than the Sea Eagle 330 with a similar level of paddling effort. Again, keep in mind I'm only beginning to learn about kayaks and to learn to paddle properly. So my assessment should be taken with a grain of salt. This Expedition certainly is faster, though. Moving along comfortably at around 3.5 knots when propelled by even an amateur paddler. It also takes more time and effort to turn than the Sea Eagle 330. Which in some environments might be a disadvantage. But not for my sort of paddling.

In sum, based on the preliminary experience described above, I would encourage Kayaker Wannabes to test paddle an AdvancedFrame Expedition kayak. Especially those who, like me, are well over the age at which most folks discover kayaking. And who may have limited physical mobility and/or economy-size body weight. It's feasible. It's safe. And it's a lot of fun!

08-15-2008
Submitted by: Mike Z

A really great concept for a boat, and very well executed. East to transport in the included duffle - the boat really fits nicely. Inflation is about 15 minutes, deflation about 10 (have to use the pump to suck the air out).

On the water, it's a blast. Very comfortable, almost like a water bed.... uh yeah. Tracks nicely feels secure, but make sure it's inflated properly.

Only downside is that drying the boat out after use can be a bit of a hassle. Some of the various inflation chambers need to be removed to ensure it's completely dry.

If you're short on space, this is a great solution.

05-08-2008
Submitted by: Russ JenkinsSend Email

I got into Kayaking in the Summer of '07. I started with a couple of 14 ft. Heritage Kayaks. I stumbled across a Dragonfly at a good deal, so picked it up. I liked it, then found another at a good deal.

Comparing the ease of transporting the inflatables versus the hardshells was a no brainer, and I quickly discovered I wanted to investigate further into inflatables. I did a good bit of research on the net and settled on the Expedition. I sold both hardshells shortly after and have not looked back.

I am totally enamored with the Expedetion. It is amazing the amount of gear you can fit in and on it. I don't think I've come close to it's impressive 450 lb. capacity!

I just got mine in December of '07, but have had it in the water on probably 40 or so outings. Everything from a few hours on the lake to 18-20 mile overnighters on the River, and intend to put many more enjoyable miles on it before I'm done.

If you're on the fence...don't hesitate any longer. Buy an Expedition. You won't regret it!

12-04-2007

My first time out with this kayak was about what I expected. Set up time was less than 15 minuets (I tried at home first). I would buy the pump WITH gauge as this would take most of the guess work out of the inflating process.

It's a snug fit for me at 5'10" 220 lbs and I did not adjust the foot brace correctly before leaving so I could not re adjust on the water. To access the foot brace you have to unzip the top cover of the craft, something the manufacturer says you should not do. So I went ahead and continued paddling with straight legs.

The seat is as comfortable as any I have sat in. It was a windy day (10-15 mph), my son was in a 11' Pungo & I could not keep up with him. Coming back with the wind it was more even, so this yak is affected by the wind more than the hard shells.

The Expedition seems to track well but does take more effort to paddle. I will take it out one more time before I decide to purchase the back bone, my first impression is the boat is a little too flimsy in the water, it's weird to feel the boat undulate with the waves, yet it's extremely stable.

Taking it down was easy as long as you use the pump to suck all the air out first. It fits back into the bag, with room for the pump and some extras I have.

I bought this boat to access the numerous lakes and bays within a couple of hours of Houston & I did not want to put a rack on the "good " car. It looks like it will fit the bill...

06-08-2007
Submitted by: JABSend Email

I took delivery on my AE Expedition last week and have had it on the lake twice so far. I have to say, I'm very impressed with the build quality and performance of this boat. The AE is not like any other inflatable I've ever seen. And this Expedition, which is new for 2007, appears to be an improvement even over their other earlier models. Next generation, if you will. The look and handling is far better than you might expect. I didn't purchase the backbone, but even without it, I feel the boat tracks more than adequately. The seat has its own inflatable lumbar support, which is pretty cool, and foot support is provided by an adjustable padded bar which attaches to the side tubes. Inflation is a breeze, taking maybe 10 minutes with the hand pump before I was on the water.

I think the secret to good performance with the Expedition is to make sure it's properly and fully inflated. The manual warns against over inflation, but I think it would be hard to over inflate the main tube using the hand pump. The floor is another matter. The floor is a separate piece and looks a lot like a thin air mattress. Putting too much pressure in it can cause the welded seams that make up the individual tubes to separate. I saw this happen with an AE Double I had a chance to paddle awhile back. Bottom line is, just take it easy with the floor, you'll be fine. The best test for proper inflation is to simply pick up one end of the boat. If it doesn't bend in the middle, you're good to go.

The only nit-pic that comes to mind is that I wish the deck bungees were located a bit closer to the cockpit. It's a bit of a stretch to lean forward to grab a water bottle.
The perfect paddle for this boat is the Lendal 4-piece. Most 4 piece paddles are junk. But the Lendal is a beauty. It's expensive, but when locked together, it's absolutely ridged. Broken down, it will easily fit in the storage bag

04-19-2007

Just received the AE Expedition kayak last week and here are my first impressions (due to change as I get 'acquainted' with the new boat). Upon first inspection the build quality of these boats are second to none - everything is 'as advertised' by AE; the boat is built to take some punishment, from the heavy duty aluminum bow and stern braces to the thick liners that house the ‘air chambers.’ The air valves take a while to get used to, but once you get the hang of it they are quite ingenious (and work well – except one…more on that later). I also purchased the ‘backbone’ for the AE expedition (as I wish to retain as much tracking ability as possible), which is a very nice accessory that comes with its own bag to store the pieces once disassembled; overall so far I’m pretty impressed. The only thing(s) that I would dock points for would be that the foot rest did not have all the right pieces to work properly (had to ‘rig’ it to work for the initial put in) and it did not come with the emergency repair kit (after a quick email - AE customer service sent a foot rest and missing repair kit at no charge - kudos to AE for great customer service).

Fast forward two days and it is finally time to put in (weather finally let up). A quick blow up (set up time was approx 15 min – to blow up and pack) and I was ready to go. Finally out on the water and the AE expedition handled... well... different. I was a little disappointed until I realized that I had the backbone out of alignment a little which kept turning me (albeit slight) to port. I quickly return and righted the situation (literally) and away I went for a 6 mile trip around the reservoir. With the water being very frigid I was glad I was in the inflatable – that layer of air had a very nice way of keeping me warm in the cold water. About half way through the paddling session I noticed that the backbone was...for a lack of a better word...'intrusive' as it is right under you in the most ‘inappropriate’ spot. Looking down I realized that the floor had deflated on me and the only thing between me and the backbone was the thin seat and the padding around the aluminum shaft (read…not comfortable). After a portage to blow the floor up again (thank goodness I remembered to bring the pump with me) it was back on the water again to finish the day. Upon reflection, I think I didn't tightened the screw-style valve all the way closed on the floor – thus the deflation; however I will have to investigate further next time out.

Overall the kayak is well built, paddles and tracks well (for an inflatable – not nearly as nice as a hard shell) and is a great way to get some paddling in without having space for the storage of a rigid boat. You can’t go wrong for the money – just toss it in the car and go.

Airkayaks.com
New & demo Advanced Elements & Airis inflatable kayaks. Great prices, fast shipping! Intl. inquiries welcome!

Kayak Sails: