Product Reviews > Accessories > Werner Shuna Carbon StraightShaft Paddle Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Werner Shuna Carbon StraightShaft Paddle

Werner Paddles Logo
See Products from Werner Paddles in the Buyers' Guide!
Werner Paddles in the Buyers' Guide:
  • SUP Paddles
  • Whitewater SUP

08-06-2013
Submitted by: TWNSend Email

I originally got this paddle to use until my custom paddle arrived and then as a spare. But since using it I really like it. It is very light and there is no noticeable flutter when paddling hard. I've been using it while practicing bracing and re-entries, so it seems to be holding up well. I still have not received my custom paddle and can't wait for it to get here. But after paddling with this for a while, if I had to do it again I would not order the custom (especially the wait I'm having to go through).

07-26-2013
Submitted by: LindaSend Email

I love this paddle and just bought another one in blue. My old one is getting quite worn. This one has the narrow shaft for smaller hands. It is the best low angle paddle.

07-26-2013

I have used the Werner Shuna paddle for five years now and love it!I have the narrow shaft which is very comfortable for my hand size. The feathering adjustment is easy to use and continues to work well after lots of use. I have the amber color paddle blade and love the way it looks with the sun coming through it - the color definitely adds some "pop" to photos too.

06-04-2013
Submitted by: RR

Have the Shuna carbon/fibre glass version. Blade size is right size for moderate pace over an hour or more. It has a good catch for its blade size, but when pushed with power it has a tendency to flutter, so not really a blade for sprinting. The new type of joiner is quite a precise fit, feels as one.

08-04-2011

I'm returning to sea kayaking after a few years away and needed to restock my paddle quiver. I used to paddle with a 210cm carbon Lendal Nordkapp modified crank shaft one-piece as my primary paddle and the same thing in a two piece for my spare. As a result, I'm used to a high-angle, aggressive, fast cadence forward stroke. I'm on a bit of a budget, so I ordered the fiberglass blades with a carbon straight shaft. I also decided to purchase a slightly smaller blade than the Nordkapp equivalent (which would be the Corryveken or Ikelos) since I'm not as well conditioned as I was 5 years ago and, let's face it, I'm 5 years older.

Even with the fiberglass blades, the paddle is significantly lighter than the Nordkapp. Honestly, I never thought that the weight of the Nordkapp was a problem, nor did my paddling suffer from it. If anything, the extra heft gave me confidence in it's durability and reliability. So far, the Shuna has also proven durable, though I haven't abused it anywhere near as much as I did my Lendal.

The carbon shaft has just enough flex to be comfortable but not so much that it feels noodley or inefficient. The ovaling on both the left and right sides is subtle, but sufficient, and it's nice to have the feather indication on my non-control side for offside rolling. I miss the crank shaft and may upgrade next season, but the straight shaft hasn't posed any issues.

The blade is well made. It enters the water smoothly with a fairly clean entry. The pronounced spine on the backside does pull some air down with it, but it's not excessive. If I keep a loose grip on the shaft, I do notice some blade flutter when I'm paddling forcefully, so I've slightly increased my grip and tend to use a faster cadence rather than a more powerful stroke with this paddle. The blade has enough surface area for good acceleration and high cruising speeds, but if I sprint, paddle through surf, or do intervals, I can tell that there's less grip. That said, it's still a powerful paddle and is extremely comfortable for long distances at regular paddling speeds. I usually cruise around 4 to 4.25 miles per hour for full day paddles and the Shuna accommodates this well if I use a high cadence rather than a powerful stroke.

When rolling and bracing, the blade is perfectly sufficient. I have no issues with it's movement through the water when performing support or maneuvering strokes, and it links strokes smoothly.
Overall, I'm very happy with it's performance and quality.

06-25-2007

This is a follow up to my earlier review. No fault of the Werner Shuna, but this paddle is causing me to work harder at torso rotation or I feel the pain of bad form. I have experienced shoulder, elbow, wrist inflammation that is resulting in some numbness after a work out of an hour or more of paddling. I now alternate with a greenland stick to lighten the load on my right arm. I may end up trading 'down' if I can't recover from the effects of the Shuna. I like the paddle, its use doesn't seem to like me. Be smart and be healthy.

03-28-2007

I recently bought this paddle as a 55th birthday present to myself. At 210cm, it is a much more aggressive paddle than I was using (MID Swift 230). The Werner Shuna carbon straight shaft is very light and the feathering ferrule is spot on.

The index numbers are a bit lame. It's just a decal that will not stand a chance of remaining over the life of the paddle. A minor quibble. The paddle is beautifully made, crisp and clean. Since the blade is laser cut it leaves a sharp square edge.

I got a tip from Alder Creek Kayak in Portland to "detune" the blade by gently rubbing a round over to the edge of the paddle with some fine (180) sandpaper. The paddle does it's job, but it works me more, at least early in the season as I get in shape.

I have also noticed that as a high angle paddle, the blade traveling close to the gunwale, that I get wetter than with a low angle, longer stick. Just a consequence of angle and arch.