Product Reviews > Canoes > Dagger > Prophet Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Prophet Canoe by Dagger

Rated: 8.5/10 Based On: 6 Reviews

05-30-2008
Submitted by: JaySend Email

The first stroke I took spun me 180 degrees. In three hours this boat took me from novice to intermediate. I bought it because the first review said to buy one if you find one used. I did. Thanks JPB

I picked one up outfitted with huge NRS bags, Mohawk Saddle (not even broken in) and I think Yakima footpegs for next to nothing. This is my first WW boat as I am a Canoe Fisherman and the amount of rain this spring in the mid-Atlantic has forced me to set the rod down and I happened to get the itch to creek around. I love craigslist. I've done 3 trips in 1 month up to technical class 2 and this boat is insanely fun. For a beginner to real WW with a couple years paddling experience you will see positive results by the minute. Dry and Stable. It is definitely a boat to help you on your path to being a well-rounded Waterman or woman. I'm never selling mine.

11-27-2007
Submitted by: JPBSend Email

I bought my Prophet new about 12 or 14 years ago. It is the finest short open white water boat out there. Too bad it's not made anymore for it is one rugged boat.(Made of that tough Dagger ABS).

The rocker on this boat is just perfect. The Prophet is like a Mad River ME, only shorter. Both of these boats are like solo dories. The Prophet is quite dry and wants to surf and hit eddies.

One word of advice, if you own a saddle that allows you to come up off your knees and sit on a seat...Don't. If you get your center of gravity above the kneeling position, you might find yourself swimming...even on flatwater. Overall the Prophet is one fine boat. Buy one used if you find it.

06-26-2007

The Dagger Prophet is not for everyone. If you only paddle 20 some times a year, it's not for you, if you don't work rivers, eddies, surfing, and tight moves it's not for you, if you are over 200lbs forget it.
But if you paddle once a week at least, work rivers all for their worth and are about 5'9 and 170 lbs year in for a treat.

I found my hanging in an outfitter shop, it is about 15 yrs old. Took it for its first trip down the dirty bird, flat spins, rock boofs, hole punching A+ in all. Then I took it to the big water channel and the Charlotte whitewater park, driest boat I ever paddled and it would catch gates.

Yes this boat is slow, and weight is around 55lbs. A beginner or moderate whitewater paddler will not like this boat, but if you paddle creeks, big water and work rivers, this is a great boat.

06-05-2007
Submitted by: KateSend Email

I have to preface this by saying that while I love paddling, I can't afford to try a lot of boats, so I've only ever been in a few OC-1's.

That said, I found a well-worn Prophet at a used gear sale last year and the price was right for me. It's been a love/hate relationship because it's a tough boat for me to practice and learn on. First off, it's heavy - mine has plastic gunwales and even with half the hull worn off the boat is too heavy for me to lift over my head by myself (I can manage to slide it onto my station wagon, though.)
Second, the rocker is extreme! I didn't realize how much rocker the boat had until I saw a picture of myself with the bow and stern sticking out of the water like a banana. It turns on a dime and gives you 9 cents change, but it also makes a sloppy forward stroke into a very weak one.
So in the end, the Prophet's benefit is its turn as well as it's high sides that don't swamp easily. But its rocker makes it tough to paddle hard, especially into an eddy or to attain, and it's heavy!

But problems usually lie with the paddler, not the boat, so who knows?

12-04-2006

Words of the Prophet : "Straighten it up ! Straighten it up!" and "Watch out ahead!"

Dagger's cult following can count me as one of its disciples. The devine teachings of it's Prophet in the high art of steep creeking has led me to "rapid" enlightenment. At the time of this writing it's been 10 years since I found the Prophet in the little village of Farmville VA, on the banks of the mighty Appomattox. By my Prophet's guidance and a good J stroke I've never been led astray. Though your path may waver your faith must not.

Most people either love or hate the Prophet, but isn't that the way it always is ? I'm surprised there aren't more reviews on it, but Dagger only made it for a few years. It has some pretty radical lines. I don't remember the specs exactly but it's got a ridiculus amount of rocker. Something like 9" fore and 8" aft. It has a flat bottom that rounds toward the bow and has harder chines in the stern.

It's got a very lively feel and high sides. I've got mine outfitted with a Perception dry storage saddle, knee pads and toe blocks. Rocking your weight foward or back has much different effects. I'm used to boats with a lot of rocker. A good teacher is a strict teacher. The loving discipline of the Prophet will help you to straighten your crooked ways.

I live in the mountainous part of Virginia. When my local river has enough water in it, it's coming out of the mountains at a rip roaring speed. A gradient of over 80 feet per mile for the first couple miles then flattens out to about 50 feet per mile for the next 5 miles. The upper part is continous class 2,3 the lower has more space between the rapids. The Prophet loves this kind of stuff. Tight, twisty, rock studded. In my opinion this type of river is more suited to an open boat than to a kayak (there are other beliefs on that one I'm sure)because of the shallow water in the rapids and for the need to jump out of your boat often with only a few seconds notice to avoid a tree across the river or a barbed wire fence (don't you just love that? ).

I've had the Prophet on some bigger water too, like the James or the New River gorge W.V. It can hang in there but that's just not it's thing. Turning white water to wine must be because it's highly intoxicating.

So what it really comes down to was summed up by that old paddler who once said "different strokes for different folks". Either you like it or you don't; and beware the delusion of bliss. Thats all I have to say.

10-04-2006

I just bought one and reoutfitted it to my liking. The Prophet is one of the best OC's I've ever been in. Plays and surfs well, spins on a dime, responsive, easy to put where you want it and is extremely dry. A little slow on attainaments but I am still getting used to setting angles with it.

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!
Rendezvous River Sports