Product Reviews > Accessories > EJ's Rolling and Bracing DVD Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for EJ's Rolling and Bracing DVD

Rated: 8.5/10 Based On: 2 Reviews

Note: This DVD is available for purchase in the Paddling.net Store!

Research Books, Videos, & More in the Buyers' Guide!

09-23-2008

This is a very well filmed instructional video with a very reasonable approach to teaching a roll. I believe one can learn to roll just by studying this film. EJ breaks down the roll into five skills one needs to develop to have a competent roll: brace, supported hip snap without and with a paddle, 'home-base' position, and finally a combat roll or finding your 'home-base' under field conditions. I found this sequence of skills that increase in complexity with each step and rely on skill developed in earlier steps very helpful in making sense out of this counter-intuitive kayaking skill.

EJ is a very competent narrator who keeps the language colloquial while at the same time covering the topic in great detail and touching on very subtle aspects of the skill. He also covers the mental part of rolling very well.

Advanced bracing and rolling sections of the DVD as well as the part for those who want to teach the roll were extremely helpful. Don't skip them even if you have no intention of doing advanced rolling/bracing or teaching. Throughout, EJ covers the common mistakes people make when learning the roll. I've developed my own roll after only a brief introduction by someone qualified to teach it. In 10 minutes of this DVD I was able to see my own mistakes that took me days to discover. They were covered in simple and easy-to-understand language.

The previous reviewer points out that insufficient time is spent on bracing. I disagree. First, as EJ points out, brace and roll are one and the same. They are not two different things. Brace is just a final stage of a complete roll sequence or a roll without the boat being inverted on the paddler. I thought EJ covered the brace extensively in the fist segment. As mentioned, there is also a separate segment on advanced bracing which covers sustained brace and skulling brace.

While there are no sea kayaks in the video, I don't know what would be gained by substituting one for a river kayak. There were also no red kayaks in the video or wooden ones... In other words, brace/roll is NOT kayak specific and EJ spends a couple of minutes talking about rolling different kayaks. His message is clear, the differences between kayak designs are so minor compared to the gross differences between kayakers' abilities that they are not worth considering as long as adequate bracing is installed in a craft.

The one point that I deducted is for an assumption that the kayak has low aft decks. What EJ presents is a lean-back roll. In my kayak I have limited ability to lean back because of a relatively high cockpit behind my back that prevents me from leaning back. I also have somewhat sensitive lower back --a common problem among kayakers that I've encountered-- which will present problems with this particular technique. This video will not show you how to adapt your roll to these circumstances. I hate C-to-C roll but in my case it presents one solution. The presented technique could probably be adapted to learning a lean-forward roll but that's a stretch.

In summary, if you have a reasonably low rear deck and no problems with with your lower back that prevent you from leaning back, this DVD is a winner! If you are handicapped by these two, you can still learn a whole lot about bracing/rolling from this video but will need to make somewhat major adjustments that are not covered here at all. Knowing the basics of C-to-C and lean forward roll will help a lot.

08-29-2006

EJís Rolling and Bracing is a superb DVD for learning whitewater kayak rolling. It is well lighted, has exceptional sound quality, and has a brand name without compare: Eric Jackson. The DVD also features his children, and has outdoor and poolside demos. Underwater camera angles round out the benefits. This DVD would seem to be imperative for anyone desiring a full-on, home instruction in the art of the roll. I have the Kayak Roll video, and find it to be less comprehensive and understandable compared to this EJís video. I have deducted two points only for this video, however. First, it appears to be very much about Whitewater rolling; there is nary a sea kayak on the entire DVD. Although the roll methods might be the same, I would like to see the rolls demonstrated on a long sea boat. Second, the Bracing portion of the video is very briefóperhaps only 8 minutes of the entire 40 minute program. As bracing is in the title of the DVD, I would have assumed a more comprehensive tutorial on bracing. It appears that EJ only teaches as much bracing as is necessary to initiate the roll. Overall, however, I think that I could teach myself to roll with this video, or at minimum have the basics ready to approach a rolling seminar. And for this, the DVD is worth the price. EJ is a very engaging speaker. Please note: the features section of the video, accessed from the menu, has interviews with EJís kids, and a segment on teaching the roll for instructors.