Product Reviews > Canoes > Old Town Canoe > Kineo Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Kineo Canoe by Old Town Canoe

Rated: 7.5/10 Based On: 4 Reviews

Canoes Image Canoes Image Canoes Image
Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

07-22-2013
Submitted by: bcSend Email

oilcan yes, load carrier absolutely, I stiffened mine up with larger thwart and heavier yoke, also ran a support under the yoke for stiffening, boat works fine on calm lake and is good fishing platform, love the Old Town

06-22-2007

I've had my Kineo 169 for over a year now; I bought it from Ozark River Company, who were great to deal with. The boat is heavy, and can be a hassle to get on top of my Dodge Ram, but this boat is bulletproof, and like the old Timex, it can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

This is a stable, well-constructed boat, and I have had absolutely NO problems with oil canning. I've paddled this boat on everything from lakes and slow moving rivers, to Class II whitewater, and it has never let me down. Aside from the weight, I find nothing to complain about where this boat is concerned. For the money, I don't think you could find a better, more dependable boat that the Kineo/Discovery 169.

09-18-2006
Submitted by: RHSend Email

Ditto on everything above. I've never seen a canoe oilcan this much. It makes me nervous. Even with a full load, the barrels are bouncing up and down with every paddle stroke.

It carries a large load and has gotten me through some bad whitewater, but it is a pig to paddle, and a cow to carry. At 16'6" it was advertised as 85 pounds, but it feels closer to 90. The carrying thwart was off center, I redrilled to make it balance, and that helped quite a bit on the long ports. I replaced the plastic seats with wooden ones I had made.

It's a pig meant to be abused, that's about all I can say.

08-24-2006
Submitted by: BPSend Email

This canoe is alright as a general purpose all around boat. It is stable on moving and still water and makes a great fishing boat. The down side to the boat is that it is an oil can. A big time oil can! Old Town said it was a problem, the store said it was normal. I wish I had spent more and bought a royalex hull. Oh well, next time. It is heavy, slow, stable, and carries giant loads with ease. An alright canoe but I would have expected Old Town to want to use a stiffer hull material.