Product Reviews > Kayaks > Wilderness Systems > Rascal Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Rascal Kayak by Wilderness Systems

Rated: 9.56/10 Based On: 25 Reviews

09-03-2014

Best Kayak ever!! I LOVE my Rascal. It's a super fun play boat. Very easy to maneuver. Maybe not the fastest but great for all ages, skill levels, and sizes! Crazy comfortable and almost impossible to tip.

06-22-2011
Submitted by: JimSend Email

My wife and I have had our Rascals for ten years. She likes flat water and I like ocean and (mild, class 3, a little 4) white water so we do it all. These little kayaks are GREAT!!! Fun, easy to transport and easy to handle.

06-07-2004

I love my little rascal! I picked this up at a garage sale at a very cheap price.PTL! I bought it for the grandkids but I ended up useing it mysef a couple of times and it works great! I am 6 foot tall and 225 pounds and it handles my big butt just fine.It doesn't track quite as well as its big brother the "Pungo"(I own three of them) but it will turn quicker. I love the hard chine on this line of kayaks as it really adds to the stability of the boat. I just took my 8 year old grandson out in it for the first time and he had it mastered in no time at all.

05-15-2003
Submitted by: Wayne G.Send Email

I have owned my Rascal for three years and i have no regrets at all. I had never been in a kayak before. It is very stable and manuverable in all types of water. I mostly paddle rivers, and even in high water (my favorite) i always feel compfortable. Love it.

10-28-2002
Submitted by: teom5756

I bought a Rascal for my wife who has an intense fear of water and the tippy sensation of a getting into a kayak; she could not tolerate sitting in my kayak even if I held onto the side of the cockscomb while standing in 2 feet of water. I looked at many short/wide kayaks but most of them had very flat hulls. I talked her into trying the WS Rascal because the hull design looked as though it would track well. She liked the boat so I bought it. She later complained that the 230cm paddle felt too short. The Rascal is wide and my wife at 5'2" has a short reach - also because she is afraid to lean at all when she paddles - so I bought her a 240cm Bending Branches Evening Breeze - armed with the new ultrlite paddle, (and only her second time on the water) she paddled the entire the entire circumference of the local pond. She rates the boat a 10.

09-09-2002
Submitted by: KenSend Email

I bought my RASCAL in Aug and used it about 10 times. I still have to get used to it a bit it seems. It tends to 'waggle' some in calmer waters but it could just be technique, after all I am somewhat of a novice. So if you're looking for a great tracking kayak to dink around in calm water, this isn't for you. BUT when I went with my two friends in their 14' ZOARs in an ocean sound, my Rascal handled equally or better than theirs did. And the rougher the water, the better it SEEMED (key word) to handle. Stability is incredible... unless you're getting in and out of the boat, lol. It also rides waves very well also. In a nutshell, I'm VERY pleased with the RASCAL as my first kayak. I'll get a longer kayak next year maybe, but I'm keeping Pickles :) It's just a fun kayak! PS - DO NOT take a Rascal against a strong currant, thru a small tunnel (like an overpass tunnel or the like) unless you’re an experienced Kayaker!

06-10-2002
Submitted by: mlm

Man what a riot, my sons and I went out in shallow water just to see what it would do. The paddles weren't in yet so we used a single, this little rascal tracks beautifully even with one paddle. I'm glad I bought two, Rascals that is.

04-11-2002
Submitted by: DeniseSend Email

Three years ago I bought a Rascal. It was love at first sight and I have not regreted a day of ownership since. I do a lot of paddling in ponds and lakes and the stability and manueverabilty of this boat is great. Two years ago I bought a second one for my niece, then 10 years old. I never worry while she is in this boat. We go around ponds catching and releasing frogs and turtles and you never have to worry about it tipping over. Great boat for water fights also. Last year one of my sons and my daughter-in-law bought their own Rascals. They use them to play in class II whitewater with no problem. One great boat!

02-11-2002
Submitted by: VRSend Email

This kayak is terrific for its size. One of the best small boats out there. Tremendous stability. Decent tracking & surprising speed. Turns on a dime with short length and rocker. Easy to get to the water. At 5'10" and 200 lbs, the kayak fits great. Small cockpit like the bigger ones instead of the open cockpit of most rec boats of this size. Good for control. Better for a spray skirt. Will plow in a little heading into heavier waves/chop due to the short length and bow configuration, but still a blast to paddle. Like the rear day hatch to keep small stuff off the floor. Easy to do a cowboy re-entry in this boat (if you ever had to..or if you just hopped out). Floats well half full of water (tried that out in the pool). However,will drag a little earlier than flat bottom boats in real shallow water due to the hull shape. Beginners and people just wanting to mess around will love this boat for its solid performance.

01-21-2002
Submitted by: kyoto

If you are a beginner looking to get into the sport of kayaking, this is the "YAK" for you. It tracks great, is quite quick, and the phase "3" seating is great!!! I have taken this yak out unto small lakes and rivers, as well as tight creeks, it performs awesome. Even if you have a older model without the new seating it can be outfitted with aftermarket pad's to suit your needs. This yak is so stable that I let my kids take it out (supervised) because it is so stable. Great Yak, great price, plan to buy one for my niece and nephew when there old enough. You cannot go wrong with this rec kayak.

11-19-2001

I bought two of these this past summer. What a great kayak. I was afraid at first with a kayak because I cannot swim and was afraid if I over turned I couldnt get out. Fears I didnt need with the rascal. I love it. It handles great and is a dream to own. I have recommended it to many a friend.

06-02-2001
Submitted by: SteveSend Email

Rascal is an A+ kayak. Easy to use, cuts the water without effort, and tracks well. Use it on the open bay (Long Island, NY), and it's very stable.

08-07-2000
Submitted by: FBSend Email

The Rascal is maybe one of the most versatile kayaks made. It is fun on lakes and tracks well for its short length. The kayak is also great for class I and II rivers and turns on a dime in rapids and around down trees and rocks. I even managed to enjoy some surfing on small whitewater patches. With kids you can't go wrong with the Rascal because of its superior stability. It takes a lot to swamp one of these. The reason a 9 instead of a 10 - The storage bag that you access from the rear deck is not the least bit water-tight, which I think is supposed to be the purpose.

07-20-2000

My wife and I recently purchased two Rascal Kayaks. We are just starting out and were looking for small boats that were easy to transport, very stable and tracked well. The rascals have exceeded our expectation in all three areas and are much faster boats then we had hoped for. Our research narrowed our choices down to the Rascal, or the Swifty. After having tried both, we are very happy that we chose the Rascals.

06-17-2000
Submitted by: KrisSend Email

Comfortable seat, altho the seat is a bit too narrow for wide bottoms... tough on the knees to be bent a little for powering off the footpegs, but pretty stable, the swifty is more stable tho and tracks much better.. I got the rasta color and just love it!! can top it by myself, too.

04-17-2000
Submitted by: TCSend Email

My first kayak was a Rascal and it's a great place to start. It's a blast in choppy water on lakes with the sprayskirt and equally at home on the Class II rivers where I fish. I sold it to my brother and he took to it right away. I am 6'1" but never felt cramped or too big for this rec rocket.

04-06-2000
Submitted by: Dr. JimSend Email

I bought a rascal last year and rigged it up to fly fish out of. I put on a fly rod holder, paddle holder, anchor and use a spray skirt for class three white water--the Rip Gorge on the Pennobscott in Maine. I plan to take it down Section 3 of the Chattoogga this summer, it is a great all around small boat. I own four other kayaks and this is the most versatile.

01-15-2000

We bought a new "Rascal" last year for my wife to use on the lakes and rivers we paddle here in New Hampshire. I do not think we could have found a better suited kayak for the intended user then this one. She uses it for everything from II's to flatwater. It is manuverable, stable, comfortable and she can tote it to and from the water her self.!, and she is only 5' and weighs a mere 110 pounds..! Would we purchase another..?, not only would we.! we are going to buy two more for the grandkids, mainly because of their stability..!

10-25-1999
Submitted by: David SableSend Email

I have had a rascal for over three years now. I use it to fish the New River and have taken Class III rapids without any difficulty. It is light and easy to transport. It tracks well and turns on a dime when you need it. It is a great recreational kayak for a day outting. It is stable and easy to paddle. I have used it with many beginners and they catch on faster with the rascal than with my Loon 100. Don't go to the New without one.

10-11-1999

Last weekend I borrowed a friends,Wilderness Systems(rascal) kayak.i was in heaven,it was the most comfortable kayak. I just about spent the whole day in the kayak.it was so great that I am going to purchase one myself this weekend. I also tried a Swifty 311 kayak that was not as comfortable as the Rascal.

09-20-1999
Submitted by: Rich O.Send Email

Me and my son are "newbies" to kayaking. We rented several different boats including a Dagger Bayou and a Wilderness Systems Pungo, but both of us hands down liked the Rascal. It tracks decently for its size (yes, the Bayou and Pungo track better) and is more comfortable than the other boats we tested. It also handles better than any other boat we tested and is quite stable.

Only downer - the cockpit narrows sharply in front, which isn't a problem for my 12 year old son, but makes entry and exit a little tougher for me. Plus side is it helps keep you dry.

08-15-1999
Submitted by: G.Send Email

Great little boat. Very fun to paddle around in for a few hours. Very stable and manueverable.

07-03-1999
Submitted by: A.R.

I've owned a Rascal for over 2 years and paddle from "breakup to freezeup." This boat's stability is incredible, but what's more amazing is its speed for its waterline length. I've outpaddled a Necky Looksha Sport (ok, the other paddler wasn't as experienced as I am) and even a fishing pram with an electric trolling motor! It turns on a dime and is SO easy to transport. I recommend it highly.

06-16-1999
Submitted by: Collin BourgeoisSend Email

My wonderful girlfriend's dad lets me use his Rascal every weekend because he paddles a loon now. Its a great boat for fishing as well as playing in smaller sets of whitewater. Most Rascal owners don't even know the boats ability to surf and run whitewater. I like the Rascal so much I might purchase one myself.

10-13-1998
Submitted by: SteveSend Email

My wife and I bought 2 Rascals and love them. We live in a lake community and they are perfect for paddling around. We have been very pleased by the stability and also the speed of these boats.

Rendezvous River Sports