Product Reviews > Canoes > Mohawk Canoes > Challenger Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Challenger Canoe by Mohawk Canoes

Rated: 9.25/10 Based On: 4 Reviews

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

02-29-2012
Submitted by: Lee WilderSend Email

Good canoe for what it is intended to do. It is not a whitewater canoe, but will handle class I or II rapids with proper handling. It is not a classic touring boat but will handle weekend or week long trips with ease. It is a fun boat that will track well with proper strokes and will turn easily.

I have had the Challenger for many years and this is the canoe I take out just to have fun paddling. If you find one, it is worth the money. The current model from Mohawk is the Oddesey which I have not paddled is supposed to be a better version. Mohawk canoes are the most underrated company. I have several including a Probe 12 which is an Awesome whitewater canoe.

05-05-2011

Bought a used Challenger in preparation for a solo paddle down the lower canyons of the Rio Grande, this boat performed well even when heavily loaded with 9 days of food and water. Hull is a good balance of turn to glide ratio. We logged about 11 miles a day on mostly flat river with occasional "texas fences" that required precise boathandlig to avoid. The occasional class 2 whitewater sections were not a problem for this boat even when partially loaded, but the boat is much more responsive without a load of gear as expected.

They don't make these anymore but have a model called the Odessey which has more freeboard but a similar hull below waterline. If you can find one, buy it! Great "only one" boat.

06-24-2010

nice small river boat, floats in inches of water, handles small whitewater, carries a lot of gear, love this canoe.

08-02-2006

I'm 13 yrs old & have been paddling for about 8 yrs. I've paddled this boat on local Rivers & streams, Shanandoa, Robinson,Rappahannock. I've also paddled solo on a 120 mile,10 day, trip on the Rio Grande(Boquillas canyon & down through the "Lower Canyons")some days we had strong head winds & alot of technical maneavering. But handled well under the curcumstances. Light gear in the front helped it track better. For my size (115 lbs), I think this a very good boat. My Father added a bow seat & I think it makes a pretty good tandem boat too.

Black Lagoon Products, LLC: