Product Reviews > Accessories > SeaSense Kayak Paddle Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for SeaSense Kayak Paddle

Rated: 9.82/10 Based On: 11 Reviews

Research Paddles in the Buyers' Guide!
Paddles
View Paddles in Buyers' Guide

06-09-2010

Y'know, having tried some really nice (translation: Expen$ive!) paddles, I have to say that for $25 at WalMart.com, this has to be THE best value in a kayak paddle you'll ever find. Yes, the SeaSense X-II is a bit on the long side at 96", but for a 6'4" guy like me in our Malibu Pro Tandem, it's perfect; even my wife at 5'11" likes it better than her older 86" paddle -- I thought I'd be shortening the X-II for her, but she's happy with it as is. I even bought a third one as a spare; I mean, for 25 measly bucks, why not?? So unless you're really an "ultimate gear" freak or a super-serious kayaker with a carbon-fibre fixation, get one of these babies, you'll love it!

11-05-2008

I bought this paddle sight unseen from Walmart on the advice of these nice review below. One thing that differentiates me from most of the other reviewers of this paddle is that I had taken the time to learn about proper paddle length and correct stroke technique. At the original length of 96" this paddle is ridiculously long for anyone who is less than 7 feet tall and will use it in any kayak that is less than 35" inches wide (a barge basically).

I am 6'4" and my kayak is 22" wide and by most measures I need a paddle that is about 220cm long. I will not go into details but that is not the overall length (blade to blade end) but the effective length of a hypothetical paddle of certain blade dimensions. For this particular paddle, to achieve an effective 220cm length the overall length has to be actually a little less and closer to 215cm. This is due to the fact that the blades are not thin and long but somewhat wide and short (average I'd say) and good for active paddling with medium height stroke (as opposed to very low angle stroke).

So, by removing some lengths from both ends and reattaching the blades back with the same type of rivet used originally, I shortened the paddle to have a shaft of the same length as my primary paddle - the 220cm Epic mid-wing paddle. The original paddle was 243cm overall length and it is now just over 215cm overall length (but the equivalent of a 220cm narrow-bladed paddle).

Overall, a nice recreational or spare touring kayak paddle. I never took mine in the water actually, as I stumbled across a very good deal on a second greenland paddle that I used instead of this one as spare.

I rate it at 10 because at this price ($25 before taxes at Wal Mart) you can't beat it. Compared to some of the $100 models the differences are apparent (mostly in the shaft and joint quality) but if you only use it occasionally and for recreational purposes it is just fine.

10-10-2008
Submitted by: ndSend Email

I purchased the 96" paddle for $25 and works just as well as $100 paddles. Being 6'5" the length is great, lightweight, and really like the foam grips, makes it very comfortable to use all day on long trips. Great product at a great price.

09-04-2008

I found this paddle at my local K-mart. It was on clearance for 12 dollars so I bought it as a spare paddle. It did not stay a spare for long. My wife found that she liked it much more than her normal paddle so she is now using it all the time.

It has taken us on a few trips down the river now and is holding up very well. We recently went kayaking with friends and they had these paddles also they have had them for years and they are holding up nicely.

My only complaint is that there is flutter when you really lean on the paddle but for nice slow rivers it is great and both of us would recommend the paddle to anyone who wanted to save a couple bucks.

11-13-2007

I purchased one of these for my 7 year old and it is perfect, I am going to get another one and cut it down for my 4 year old who insists on paddling also. Light and well made, a little shorter than most paddles and a smaller diameter grip, ideal for children!

10-16-2007

New to kayaking and so didn't want to spend a ridiculous amount. I am also 5 feet tall and have small hands. Budget paddles tend to have HUGE diameters, but can easily grip and maneuver this paddle. Has all the features you would want, easy breakdown, foam grip,drip rings, amazing price.
Worth it.

07-06-2007
Submitted by: the wizardSend Email

I bought the Seasense 96" paddle at Boater's World for $29.99. I've used it twice now for day trips on my Ocean Kayak Malibu Two. I've rented paddles that cost twice as much and I can't tell the difference. These are lightweight,easy to store and perform very well. The foam hand grips are a nice touch and hard to find on a paddle.

05-04-2007
Submitted by: brandonSend Email

Great paddle! me and my brother recently purchased 2 blast kayaks by victory and didn't want to spend 50 bucks on a paddle so we got these for 25 bucks at sport authority and love them! great, lightweight, and best of all come apart in two for storage!

12-05-2006

I purchased the Seasense Paddle with my first kayak about eight months ago. Recently I've been thinking of upgrading and have been checking out other paddles in the $100 range. Strange but I haven't found any paddles that feel lighter than these. Seasense does not list weight of their paddles in adds so I phoned their warehouse and they said weight is 2 pounds. I took them to the post office and weighed them and they came up as 35 ounches - not bad for $25. I'll probably keep using them! They work very well unless you can afford to move up to carbon fiber.

07-14-2006

Update on review below. I was worried this paddle might not hold up but 50 runs later and it is still going strong. It is so lightweight and comfortable I still can't believe I paid $25 bucks for it! The advertisement didn't lie when it said this is the best value in a paddle on the market today. I am 100% satisfied and wouldn't buy a more expensive paddle now if I could.

07-05-2006
Submitted by: Sarah777Send Email

Always on a budget but wanting the best I can afford, this paddle with comfort grips is a great value. It is light, has comfort grips and gently cupped paddles. In comparison to a heavier model paddle I received with one kayak purchase this one is wonderful. It is as light as some models twice or four times it's price. If you are on a budget like me and this is your price range, I recommend the Seasense paddle.