Product Reviews > Accessories > Shred Ready AHM Helmet Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Shred Ready AHM Helmet

Rated: 6.5/10 Based On: 2 Reviews

Research Safety & Rescue in the Buyers' Guide!
Safety & Rescue
View Safety & Rescue in Buyers' Guide

08-22-2013
Submitted by: JarrodSend Email

I have had my Shred Ready Helmet for 4 years now. It has been used solely for sea kayaking in dynamic waters including ocean surfing, tide races and rock gardening. I luckily have not had to put it to the “big bang” test, but the helmet has been comfortable for wearing over multiple hours.

The rear adjustments, strap adjustments and multiple padded inserts have provided me with lots of options. I have a slender hear and often have to be very picky about my headwear to ensure a proper fit. The helmet is black with brim and I have paddled often without sunglasses and been comfortable with the sun protection.

05-12-2006

This helmet was a 2005 model. The strap/retention system was very poorly designed and made. The shell fit properly, but the straps were excessively long, and with length adjustment on only one side could not really be shortened enough to make the helmet snug. The sliders on each side that adjust fore-aft tension do not lock, and therefore don't hold the adjustment. There is no rear retention band either, so the helmet can easily rock backwards exposing your forehead. The adhesive velcro fit pads were coming off, right out of the box. In my opinion the helmet is unsafe. All these design issues have been addressed on my bicycle helmets, so there is no excuse for anyone making a paddling helmet with such an antiquated retention system. The only good thing about it was the color, which would have matched my Palm drysuit.