Product Reviews > Kayaks > Phoenix Poke Boats > Cascade Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Cascade Kayak by Phoenix Poke Boats

Rated: 8.25/10 Based On: 4 Reviews

10-12-2009

I bought a used Phoenix Cascade as my very first kayak. Not having much money, and only having tried out my friends kayaks before - I bought it cheap on the classifieds. The boat was overall in good shape - but was an ugly duckling for sure. I did minor fiberglass work to strengthen some weak spots - I painted her - and I gave her some new seam tape and float bags. - better than new!

The boat is of course an older fiberglass whitewater boat. I have spent much time in this boat - and compared to today's boats, she is a bit lacking in primary stability, with an awful small cockpit, and not very comfy seat. All that being said - if you know what you are getting into before hand. It is a good maneuverable boat for taking on river trips, it has no tracking to speak of, but good technique can handle that problem. Beware of this boat if buying used - it is likely 20-30 years old - the fiberglass may not look bad, but if left in the sun all these years you will be in trouble. If you are willing to due fiberglass work, or have found the rare taken care of boat - then have no hesitation - just know it will be an austere ride - but it will better your technique, and a fun ride nonetheless.

09-05-2006

Grew up longboarding on LI since 15 in 1963. Kept going back to the surf every summer for years lifeguarding at Jones Beach and RM. However, college football artritis and MS laid me low during the early 90s, so I retired. Recovered miraculously, but then had to have a hip replaced and still cannot "pop up" anymore. Sponging was ok for awhile, but it always left me wanting something bigger and faster. Aha, surf kayak or wave ski. I had seen a few. But how to float a 260 lb. albeit aquatic, but now semi-ambulatory, ex-middlelinebacker? Well, I had met Danny Broadhurst several times before through the years and he started telling me about a boat/craft that he wanted to design that would actually handle my upper body strength and float my XXL size and put me back out on the outside of the line up for the take off spots on waves - even the "mush waves" that we get so much of on here on LI. That boat is the new "Re-Vision" just released by Cobra. It definitely floats me high and fast (but not dry) and it usually paddles out with good speed and surprising stability. It acquires a lot of waves way before they even begin to break, so you have to check yourself from hogging more than your fair share - especially when other riders(boat or board)are around. Once on the wave,turning is simply a dream. The lightest brace or slightest hip roll with my weight in the boat triggers an instant response. After that,the down the line tracking speed is so considerable,your biggest problem is to remember to start your cut back to the pile early before you outrun our usual peaky shoulders. On bigger wally barrels or quality pitching tube days, when no one seems to be making all the sections or coming out of the other side clean before bailing or getting closed out, a couple of gorilla strokes into the face of that threatening barrel often propels you in the Re-Vision to such uncanny and ridiculous warp speeds across the face of the wave that shorebound onlookers are left speechlessly amazed and top knotch board surfers start to scoff and guffaw about all of the hydrodynamic advantages of a gargantuan surfboat propelled by paddle power versus the more challenging(and manly?)demands of stand-up bare-handed boardsurfing. In fact, on some of those better days,my own shortboarding sons have been among the good-natured chiders in the hard-core line-up. I have even sarcastically apologized, on occasion, for going so ridiculously fast so apparently easily while they would rage on about "geezer surfing", "sofa surfing", "lazee boy surfing", "geriatric surfing" and so on. I've even chimed in by adding that I was thinking of adding a beer cooler with bow mounted tv and a remote for my paddle for those slower knee high days that might be coming during football Sundays in September! Seriously though, about the only complaints I have on the Re-Vision are these. I wish Danny had contoured the buttock wells better. After an hour or two of invigorating surfing, the very flat seat surface gets a little uncomfortable on an old man's bum. And there are those days when the riding is just so dam good and easy, you just can't seem to stop yourself until you're in serious geezer agony. Ah yes, the agony of exercise for the aging and arthritic. More important, perhaps, is the rejuvenating prospect of a little fun from a definite adrenalin ride. Hell, sometimes I think that's all that's keeping me going from day to day. My other complaint is with the Cobra Kayak Company. Apparently they have renegged on their deal with Danny Broadhurst on suitable payment for the brilliance of his design. I hope they will respect this waveski/surfkayaking pioneer's contribution to their industry. I know I do. Finally,if you don't weigh more than 200 lbs. then this boat might not be your best ride. Danny's original design, the "Strike" would probably be your best bet. But if you're in the large, big and tall category, like I am, nearing or past geezerhood, like I am, and maybe you're having a litle trouble getting up off the floor lately, like I am, well then this could be the surf play boat for you. As for me, I hope to sit it til I die, no matter what the youngsters say!("Get up off your ass, Old Man!" "Stand up like a man, Old Man!" etc., etc.) I love it!

06-30-2006

I recently purchased a cascade model fn and found it lightwieght and easy to handle on and off the water, turns on a dime and can take the rough treatment of rocky midwest streams. tends not to track well, but can be remedied quickly with duct tape.My only wish is that the helpful people at Phoenix would offer the accessories for this model also.

05-12-2006

I have owned a cascade for many years. The 14 foot boat is an incredible lay-up and weighs 24 pounds. These fabricators have exceptional skills. I have seen similar construction in the polk boats, however in the east and west coast their boats are rare. They use a fine mesh fiberglass with an aircraft thin resin. It looks like the new shiny rotoís now mass molded but with more body.

Most of their designs are dated and their accessories minimalist, but my cascade is an incredible boat. I met a famous kayaker who drove a cascade into rocks at 30mph and didnít scratch the boat, I have added a skeg which is just a glue-on sliver of wood to the rear which makes it go straight. I have also found duck-tape and an arrow works well and slides over rocks. The pointed stern adds no directional stability. The seat does well with a camping chair of foam inserted behind you. Phoenix people I have found most cooperative. They were reasonable and helpful to me. I am partly writing this review because we need to buy their boats because few are so light, and a polkboat is remarkable for a beginner, younger and older people.