Product Reviews > Accessories > Thule 835XT Hull-a-port Kayak Rack Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Thule 835XT Hull-a-port Kayak Rack

Rated: 7.5/10 Based On: 6 Reviews

Research Roof Racks and Trailers in the Buyers' Guide!
Roof Racks and Trailers
View Roof Racks and Trailers in Buyers' Guide

07-23-2013

I used this to put my Riot Edge kayak on my Subaru Forester. Nice tight hold on the kayak. However, after only a few times using the rack the foam back bottom pieces began to get loose and fell off a couple of times. Easy on and off. The tie downs were the best part. I sold the kayak and the rack went with it.

I would recommend for anyone looking to move their kayak without having to top mount it on cross bars.

01-27-2009

The Hull-a-port gives you the option of transporting multiple kayaks, albeit at a price. Three pair of Hull-a-ports ain't cheap.
I have had three of these cradles on the roof of a Subaru wagon and we were glad to have them. One caveat,however. If you have a roto-molded plastic boat, you risk denting the hull if the lashing straps are too tight, and at freeway speeds you do want the lashing straps tight. Most plastic boats rebound in the sun after being dented but....some don't. It takes some finesse to get the kayak on it's side and wrapping the strap around the bar, but overall this is a nice product if you need to fit more than a pair of boats on your Geo Metro.

04-25-2008

They work great for carrying 2 kayaks on a vehicle, but it is hard work getting even a 45 lb. kayak up on these j-hooks, on top of a small SUV. We have almost had the kayaks fall off while loading. Also, racks are very noisy when no kayak is strapped in.

I would opt for a lower profile kayak rack if I only needed to carry one kayak.

03-25-2008

We purchased two sets of the 835XT J-Hooks to carry our new kayaks home in December. We also purchased the Thule roof rack system even though the j-hooks would have fit the factory rack on my Chevy Tahoe. I wanted the stability of the Thule rack considering the travel distance from home to any water location will require highway travel. I like the j-hooks and feel secure with our kayaks mounted on the Tahoe, my only beef is the whistling noise the racks make when the boats are not on the car! These are easy to use, easy to clean, store and remount when ready.

03-24-2008
Submitted by: Patrick StonekingSend Email

I've been using Thule racks on my cars and trucks since the mid-1980's. My kayak saddles (from 1987) have worked well, but I thought I would try out the Hull-a-Port. I wish I hadn't.

They are made to universally fit all bar shapes, which means they do not firmly lock on to the regular square Thule bar profile. When you try to reposition a heavy boat they tend to rotate on the bars. In addition, they are super tall so even my little Audi wagon has trouble fitting in an average parking garage. Gas mileage also takes a big hit. I ended up taking them off and threw them in the corner of my garage and went back to my 20 year old saddles. This is the first piece of Thule gear that I have been disappointed in.

The new version that folds should be better. I may give those a try...

04-11-2006

The "J" shaped set of carriers enables you to carry a kayak on its side which is very handy. The carrier works very well and seems very secure, although it left black marks on the hull of my white fiberglass boat that will not completely wash off.