Product Reviews > Canoes > Michi-Craft > L12 - Square Stern Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for L12 - Square Stern Canoe by Michi-Craft

Rated: 8.25/10 Based On: 4 Reviews

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

06-23-2012
Submitted by: Trout foolSend Email

WoW! What a great canoe. I have owned other heavier p, bigger canoes. I thought maybe the light weight would make it less stable... Was I wrong.
Very stable, even with 2 grand kids doing their best to tip it over. Soloed on a Pikes Peak Lake with high wind without a problem.

09-30-2009
Submitted by: ChrisSend Email

I have had this canoe now for several years. I decided that a gas motor was the way to go for solo fishing. Other reviews are correct, it is hard to paddle on your own, circle city.

I use either my Yamaha 2hp gas motor or my Minn-Kota 36lb thrust electric trolling motor. In either case I put the battery in the bow to better balance the craft when alone.

It was an awesome canoe to have for a trip I did with a friend in the Upper Peninsula of MI. It was a paddle in (about a half mile on a lake) and set up camp deal. The wide beam afforded us plenty of gear stowage, but we wound up having to tow his kayak with more gear stuffed in it! Didn't pack as light as we thought!

04-12-2006
Submitted by: DKASend Email

I bought this canoe (well used) from a friend this winter. I wanted it for it's lightness (56#) and versatility as a "toss it n the back of the pick-up and fish for an hour" craft. First the good stuff. It is light and right sized for eh task. It lifts easily and slides PERFECTLY into the rear of my shortbed Toyota. ( I can even close the hach on the cap!) The aluminum is fairly decient gage and will take a beating. i.e IT's well built! Of course, the beam is big @ 42" CTC on rails and even though there is a SLIGHT arch to the bottom and has round chines, you can stand in it if your careful. Downsides? First the seating arangement makes it hard to get the boat trimmed right. You really need to toss a 5 gal bucket of water/concrete block/battery in the bow if you plan on sitting on the rear seat. Otherwise, the boat spins helplessly around the stern with any attempt to paddle it. However, I found that even with the extra weight, use of a 7" legged beach chair , placed just forward of the rear seat provides MUCH better trim. As you might guess, even with the keel, the wide beam forces paddle strokes way off the centerline. Coupled with the dificulty in trimming the craft, the stem tends to swing dramaticly from side to side with each paddle stroke. In fact, I found the beach chair trick and use of a 240 cm Kayak paddle was the ONLY way to adaquatly gain speed and control of the boat without use of a motor.

In short, it's a great little one person fishing boat for sheltered waters but really fails at traditional paddle methods. It really begs for a electric motor or at least a yak paddle.

04-03-2006
Submitted by: B. H.

Bought this canoe as a car topper, very light weight. Used with a 2 1/2 hp motor very nice solo fishing canoe. Not for fast water but great pond small lake canoe.