Product Reviews > Canoes > Sevylor > Colorado Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Colorado Canoe by Sevylor

Rated: 8.19/10 Based On: 31 Reviews

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

09-05-2014
Submitted by: Tim FeherSend Email

I own the Sevylor Colorado two man inflatable canoe and just love it. It has a very rigid and stable feel to it. Traveling with it is a breeze because it folds up into a large duffel bag. The two inflatable side beams are so strong I was able to make a wooded engine mount for a good electric motor. I would recommend it to anyone with limited storage.

05-30-2014
Submitted by: EJSend Email

Have used this boat for a dozen or so trips over the last three years, both on class I/II rivers and short stretches of flat water. It's heavier than you might expect for an inflatable boat, but handles well, feels solid, and is easy to transport and set up (I use an "Advanced Elements Double Action Hand Pump").

Unfortunately, the top part of a valve tore off on the last trip, and support says that this can't be repaired. Not sure yet what to replace this boat with, but I'll either go for something cheaper and more disposable, or for a manufacturer who is confident enough in the quality of their products to provide a proper warranty.

09-12-2012
Submitted by: Alex cottonSend Email

Took mine out yesterday for the first time and absolutely love it. Left the skeg at home by accident but still had no problem tracking on my own with single paddle. Would recommend 100%

04-30-2012

Life begins at 60... I bought my Colorado four years ago. Yes tracking is a problem. I am going to invent a better skeg. The first time I used it was on the river Thames, on a first date with a lawyer lady dressed in a woolen suite. I told her we would not get wet and just paddle up the river and have lunch at a pub.I did not know that you had to blow up the base so the walls were collapsing onto us. After 100 yards we were drenched. She figured it all out and we had a good lunch. Worst part I dropped my glasses in the river. Coming from Africa I dived in and eventually found them. There was a crowd forming as they had never seen anyone swimming in the river.Best part when we were going through a lock we had right away over the huge powered toff leisure launches.The next time I used it was with my current partner. We paddled the Wandle river that runs though outer London that was said to be un-navigable. The Colorado can handle a six foot water fall even if you don't know it was there. Believe me it was a hoot.

Problem with English rivers is it is like being on a history tour as every bend, landing or rapid has a story. We will be in the USA in July so hope to see some National Parks that you guys look after so well. Be proud of them!

04-15-2012
Submitted by: EricdeanSend Email

I purchased the Colorado in 2012. I did a 42 mile trip through Mammoth Cave National Park on Green River and the boat worked great. Myself, my cousin and gear for 3 days of camping (around 475lbs) and the boat worked pretty good. It did not track as good as a canoe that was with us, and we really got behind them but it worked all the Class I rapids great and the lone Class II that swamped the canoe, we tracked perfectly. I slept in the boat which was an added feature to keep in mind. Air mattress, just remove the seats and gear and a tarp overhead and I was good to go.

I would have easily given this a 10 out of 10 if it tracked a bit better, but if you are not in a hurry, I say go for it! The river was at the exact level that you can paddle right into a cave bordering the river and it was a cool break to go in 50+ feet into 60 degree water in a cave that the canoe could not navigate through the cave. Good stuff!

04-12-2012

You either love this inflatable or hate them.
I've had mine for 15 months now, it's been used in nearly every type of water scenario going and it's still going strong. I've bashed it against rocks, dragged it over concrete, had tree tops gauge against it in dams, it's been used in the sea with 3ft waves, it's been used on tidal river's with mangrove roots stabbing into it and nothing has affected it. The outside coating on the floor chamber shows no sign of wear at all. It's not the fastest kayak/canoe in the world but I'm not using it to do speed trials. I want a vessel that will carry my large carcass around in comfort be able to fish at the same time, be very portable and pack away very easily, if that's what your after the Colorado ticks all the boxes. I have a hard shell sit on top, bought to do sea fishing, it has no stability at all in comparison, the Colorado is very stable to the extent of lifting heavily laden crab pots up out of the water with no sign of strain or bowing on the side bladdered walls. The outer heavy canvas like shell has had constant abrasion from nylon rope over the last year or so and there is no sign of ware on the fabric.

The only things to be aware of is the bladders can and will fail if over inflated or the Colorado is over loaded. There doesn't seem to be any back up service from Sevylor. If any one knows where spare bladders for the earlier Colorado's are then please let me know!

07-05-2011
Submitted by: JorZSend Email

I bought two of these boats (Rio and Colorado) for moderate whitewater. They are the same boat and only differ in length to accommodate the number of paddlers. I have now ran 20 miles of mild rivers (Class I and II) with them without any issues. My wife paddles the Rio solo and I paddle the Colorado with my daughter in the front. I am very pleased with both the engineering and material of the boats but need to use them more to see how durable they are. I chose these over the Aire Tomcats because of price and so far I think I made the right choice. I expect the Aires to be better boats but for family use these should work great. If it is needed we will upgrade later on but based on review we some care we should be able to use these for many years. These are very stable but I suspect their limit to be rapids III+ or IV.

So far we have got these stuck in rocks several times (low water levels) with no visible sign of wear. The bottom of the boats is a very tough plastic and seems to be doing its job. As some other reviewers commented these are not really designed for flat water so paddling in flat water or slow moving rivers is manageable but tedious. They track reasonably well in flat water for an inflatable but if you expect hardshell kayak tracking you will be disappointed. The paddle choices depends on the number of paddlers. Two paddlers could handle the Colorado with canoe paddles but I would not want to paddle the Colorado solo or the Rio with a canoe paddle. If paddling the Colorado solo or with a child (my daughter weight 50lbs) you want to invert the seats and paddle backwards as this helps balance the boat lengthwise. It tracks much better this way. If you will only inflate one of these boat you can do with a manual pump but if you have two you definitely want to use an electric pump initially and finish the inflation with a manual pump. Inflating these to the correct pressure without a pressure gauge is extremely difficult so I recommend to invest in a pressure gauge. I bought a "Bravo" and rigged it to my Coleman dual action pump which is a great combo.

The correct kayak paddle length for paddlers irrespective of height is 240cms because of the fat and high side tubes. The problem with this was that paddles this long could not be found locally so we had to order online and wait for the delivery. If you insist in buying shorter paddles locally definitely donít go shorter than 230cms or you will not reach the water comfortably.

My operating procedure for these boats is the following:
1) unfold, 2) inflate main chambers for volume with a 12v pump quickpump, 3) inflate main chambers for pressure with a manual pump with pressure gauge , 4) Inflate seats with the manual pump, 5) tie seats, 6) launch.

After kayaking:
1) take out of water, 2) unplug drainage valve, 3) lift kayak to drain water, 4) dry with camp towel, 5) deflate manually, 6) deflate with pump, 7) dry again with camp towel, 8) unfasten seats, 9) fold, 10) drive home, 11) inflate for volume main chambers, 12) let dry for a day, 13) deflate with pump, 14) fold.

05-14-2011
Submitted by: BlaineSend Email

I have had this boat for two years, using it on the Wye, lakes and coastal. Even performs well in surf! Used it with me plus 9 and 6 year old, me and girlfriend and me on my own. Love that flexibility.

I use kayak paddles and no problems with tracking, with and without skeg. I had a seem split in a bladder early on, replaced FOC by shop. Have had another small hole, patched and no further problems. (Hint: use soapy water to find leaks).

Was amazed that me and girlfriend could paddle it faster than novices in hard open canoes (I'm experienced, she isn't). Replaced bag with a 120L cargo rucksack which is much better. Construction is solid and resilient on the whole, but bladders could be made better.

Good all round boat, easy to store and just chuck in the boot of your car. Kayak paddles mean that your legs get dripped on a fair bit.

04-04-2011
Submitted by: RATSend Email

It was great for 18 months. Now its useless. Plastic has deteriorated and the seams keep leaking. Coleman offered a repair kit which will make no difference because a new hole appears every time we go out. Rubbish. Get another brand.

10-05-2010
Submitted by: ZoLaSend Email

My new Sevylor Colorado is currently being used in Shillong, North East India. Hours of net-trawling led me to buy it.

Pros - Affordable, easy to set up (max 15 mins-inflating boat, seats, lashing bags on etc), tracks decently, sturdy, looks good, light, can stand up on it, packs small, nice pressure gauge and mesh bag supplied, stable, tough outer skin, both side and bottom pvc tubes can be removed totally - makes cleaning and checking/repairs easier, bottom seems pretty solid too, pretty good fun!

Cons - cheap floor valve makes me worry, would have liked two skegs or one big one for deep water, the outer skin that houses the pvc chambers is great but also retains some water making it noticeably heavier for portage and increases drying/cleaning time. Bellows foot pump feels flimsy, I'm getting a solid plastic one.

This Colorado will be used extensively for river running in our hills so another review will be added after it hits some rough water. I only give it an 8 because I haven't used it to its full potential yet so I don't have first hand experience. But from the build quality of the boat I might be changing the rating later!

All in all a great little boat and I recommend it to anyone who asks. Looking forward to a near future of a little river bashing with the Colorado!

09-24-2010
Submitted by: BobSend Email

I think that the folks that are having trouble getting the boat to track should take a lesson in proper paddling. If using a canoe paddle a simple J stroke will keep the boat tracking straight. I will admit I have been paddling for over 30 years, everything from flat water to class 4 WW. I bought the Colo canyon to bring along in my motorhome and am very happy with it. Serves my purpose well.

07-19-2010

I had bought the boat as a little family fun. The boat is built to last no doubt, but to be honest it has a blunt entry making it not the easiest kayak to paddle against the flow of a river, even when compared with other inflatables. We used it a couple of times but were frustrated by the small valves which left our expensive handpump with built in pressure gauge with a very unreliable reading. The Boston valves could lose pressure from the securing screwthreads, and the floor valve got decidedly hot with a high volume pump as it did not let that much air in quickly. To be honest it was none of these that made me sell it on. It was the amount drying time that made me decide to find something different.

If you are going to be using it for a couple of days camping then this is the boat for you. If however it will be used for the occasional day of evening out there are better and cheaper alternatives. Personally we have ended up very Satisfied with the Red Star Pathfinder kayaks, while not as robust as the Colorado a quick wipe after use and it is dry.

05-21-2010
Submitted by: Travis W.Send Email

I love my Sevylor Colorado. I ordered online and received a green one. I used it A LOT for a year and a half. Noticed I was losing some air. Pulled out the inner tube and tried to find the hole....no luck. More recently I noticed I was losing air from the other side chamber. Found the hole (probably caused from a fish hook) and patched it. I believe the slow leak I could not find was due to over-inflation.....especially on hot days when the air expands. Have been on rapids, bouncing off sharp rocks, but mainly on flat water. This thing is built to take a beating! Can stand up in it too. Just got a new one recently. The newer models are 2 tone colored and do not have the skeg attachment on the bottom.

05-14-2010
Submitted by: cristianSend Email

I'm very disappointed with it and with Sevylor after-sale service. The bottom of my canoe collapsed due to PVC deterioration, I can't find a replacement part (they say it's discontinued product) neither fix it...my canoe is good for trash now

12-13-2009
Submitted by: Roger McLaySend Email

I bought this boat after checking out a number of reviews. My end use is flat water casual exploration, slow top medium rivers and it has to carry two people plus a little gear or one person plus more gear.

Got it in the water today on a slow river with a bit of wind. Generally very pleased with boat. Excellent quality of materials and workmanship. These boats are built to take a few knocks and I have every confidence they will hack it when the going gets a bit rough. Tracking was a bit of a worry but to be fair the skeg wasn't fitted. Next outing I will check inflation and fit skeg. Very comfortable and easy to inflate, deflate and move around.

Would highly recommend to anyone. I think it would be better if the seat position could be moved to about center so it is trimmed well for one paddler. Even so a very good product.

11-16-2009
Submitted by: R.M YAKSend Email

Great boat. I have the Colorado and Rio and have had all sorts of kayaks and some canoes, both hard and inflatable. I wouldn't attempt an overnighter fishing a couple of miles in the ocean for bottom fish with anything small except for the Rio or Colorado. I feel exceptionally stable and safe in them; the outer skin is A-1 grade. I have battered both boat into Florida mangroves and barnacles, never a hole has appeared, even after being pulled by 7 lb jack crevalle into groves. Sevylor has a clear winner here

08-14-2009
Submitted by: pjSend Email

What a fantastic boat, my 10 and 12 year olds jumped in and paddled away, the tracking is great. I was a bit worried after reading some of the other reviews but no problems, its easy to handle and very comfortable. The only downside so far is the floor valve which is difficult to pull out with cold wet fingers. A great little family boat, we've had dogs and kids all piled in, great fun.

06-22-2009

I have had a Colorado KCC335 for about 1 1/2 years now and really enjoy it. The first time I used it was in the Gulf of Mexico with 3' swells and it did terrific. Since then, have had it in the Atlantic as well as numerous lakes, rivers, streams and creeks from Florida to Wisconsin.

The only disappointment is a leak with the right side bladder, cannot seem to find it. The leak is slow enough that I can be on the water for up to 5 hours without too many worries. The only thing slower than the leak at this time is the customer service at Sevylor - I've left 2 voicemail and 2 e-mails in the past week with no response.

09-22-2008
Submitted by: marlishduoSend Email

We have been out half dozen times in our Colorado. Both flat water lakes and slow moving rivers (Georgia). No white water so I can't speak to that. We will use it as RV gear, so inflatable is a big plus as is the low weight.

It seems to handle well enough in good conditions (my suspicion is that it will handle not so well in adverse wind and current situations) and best with the removable skeg attached. (I guess some Colorados have 'em and some don't).

Our biggest complaint so far is that I can find zero information on how to replace that removable skeg should it be lost. Which is inevitable. Why I give it a 9: not much support from the company...

I get a little aggravated sometimes when I see my "rigid body" friends standing around while I'm still rolling up my Colorado and I'm thinking about the cleaning and drying operation still ahead. But I feel better when I stow mine back in its little corner of the garage.

If inflatable, portable and stable is important, it would be hard to do any better than the Colorado.

08-30-2008
Submitted by: LaurenceSend Email

I am very pleased with the Sevylor Colorado two person boat. I brought the boat out with my brother on a lake paddling as a double kayak and also as a single canoe and he was very impressed. The boat looks cool and is easy to maneuver and paddle and requires a good paddling style to maintain a straight heading. The only problem is the air valve in the floor of the canoe: mine has developed a rip on the inside of the valve so that the air rushes out when the top cap is removed.

08-28-2008
Submitted by: TJSend Email

I purchased the Colorado as a space saving alternative to a rigid hull canoe or kayak. After completing 25 miles of class I-II rivers this last weekend I am very happy with this boat.

The Colorado is very stable and comfortable for long floats and has enough room for coolers and other gear for two people. I rigged the boat the first time in 10 minutes or less by myself. The only thing I would improve on is the valves for the floor and seat supports. The valves are the cheap pinch type, if they were boston valves like the main tubes, they would be great.

My primary concern when buying this boat was it's tracking ability. It exceeded my expectations without using the removable skeg. The two molded strakes on the bottom of the hull help keep the boat pointed down river pretty well.

Overall, For the money and price, I am happy with the Sevylor Colorado.

08-18-2008
Submitted by: RDSend Email

We purchased this canoe online for a fantastic price. We took it out in the San Francisco Bay for our first trip, 8-12 knots of wind, small wind chop. The Canoe was easy to paddle, fairly dry and very stable. It tracked well with the skeg in place. It was very easy to inflate and we were ready to go in 15-20 minutes. The only draw back is the air valves in the flooring is hard to get to. I highly recommend this canoe - easy to store, transport, inflate and deflate. Looking forward to using it on Tahoe and the Truckee River this year.

07-22-2008
Submitted by: Frank JacobsSend Email

Me and my buddy took the kayak from Europe to Borneo, Malaysia for a 3 week during expedition through the jungle in the kelabit highlands. As we organized this by ourselves, we were completely dependent on our kayak for transport, carrying our stuff for 3 weeks and safety. We were really amazed that the kayak had not given us any trouble, considering the conditions, even on white water. We had to drag the kayak over rocks multiple times, but the kayak is absolutely made for heavy duty usage as no essential damage was visible even after three weeks of roughness.

Especially the canvas protection that protects the inflatable parts of the kayak are crucial in our view, as we have had not a single leak in the expedition, and man.. we haven't been too easy on the kayak..bumping into trees, sharp rocks... amazing!

One word of advice though, make sure it is properly inflated, especially in white water conditions.
For the Colorado in action, please visit: www.lemmingsontour.nl, and follow the link to the video of Borneo.

07-21-2008
Submitted by: RebeccaSend Email

We purchased 2 of these boats and I give them rave reviews. I actually disagree with the comments about tracking. We have a model that allows us to attach a little red "fin" or "rudder" on the bottom, and it tracks great. We've taken it out on flat lakes, where this rudder is very necessary and then we've removed the rudder to float down rivers that have been somewhat shallow. I can set the canoe up in about 12-15 minutes. The upright Sevylor inflate and deflate pump is amazing. Deflating feature helps with take down and I can always get it back into the original bag!

We have recommended this boat to all passers by and there are a lot of interested people out there. A friend has already bought one as well! So far it has been extremely durable, as we have had in rather shallow, but swift moving rivers. We are very pleased with our purchase.

05-07-2008

First time on the lake, CO. It is hard to go in a straight line. I was paddling with my son. Easy to set up, we were pretty dry. There was some water at the bottom between the sides and the bottom. It kinda forms like a channel of water in it. Don't know if it seeped in? Other than that with good coordination from the paddlers, it is fine. We were using canoe paddles... Might still try other brands and models.

04-21-2008
Submitted by: HJSend Email

Okay, here's the deal. I couldn't find many reviews on the Colorado, and so I wanted to put in my two cents. I recently purchased this canoe, and have just finished my second afternoon out on a lake. This is a wonderful boat, that does everything it promises. Easy to inflate, easy to pack and carry. It's very sturdy, and will accommodate myself and my wife (neither of us are 'small' people) with ease.

Yes, its true, if you're a true canoe enthusiast, the tracking is a small issue. But if you want perfect tracking, go by a rigid kayak or regular canoe. My experience is that it does very well on water, and I can get from one end of the 'lake' to the other without any problems. I use the kayad paddle, and had my 6 yr old son in front. I did not get drenched, just had to find the most comfortable and efficient way of paddling.

I've been in many regular canoes, and this is as good on the water. Now, try folding up a regular canoe and taking it home. The whole point of an inflatable is the portability. Its fun, and if you want pure, straight and true tracking, get a rack/trailer for your car, a good strong back, and a roof mount for your garage and pay $650 for a 'real' canoe. I think the people who downgrade this boat shouldn't have bought an inflatable to begin with, but for what it is, it works great for us!

BTW - I probably should have given it a 10, but it could use another skeg on the front end.

09-12-2007
Submitted by: jbSend Email

I bought this boat for casual exploration of small lakes and ponds and maybe some flatwater paddling. I have used it twice both times with two people in it.

I found that I could have it inflated and ready to use in about 15-20 minutes using a Sevylor large foot pump. I thought that was pretty good. Deflating and repacking has been a little harder. Maybe I'll get better at it.

I found the handling to be very responsive but manageable with two people in it. We had it loaded close to the maximum weight. I was pleased with the water performance, comfort and light weight. This is the main reason for my good review. It seems to me that this a good day trip boat for calm conditions. With the loading we had it would take on water if there was any chop. Cargo capacity is limited by the length, mostly.

Negatives: Floor and seat valves are cheap molded stem type and hard to use. Main side valves are "Boston" and better. Tend to hit motor mount and tie downs when paddling in the rear. Can learn to avoid this but design could be better.

01-24-2007

Well I have had mixed fortunes also with the Colorado. It is pretty hard yakka paddling it. It does move around rather a lot, as opposed to straight forward. I found myself drenched, as the paddling angle required the blade to be lifted very high. And I also found myself hitting the paddle stowage points on the sides of the boat far to often. In having said that, it is very stable and comfortable. Is relative quick to get in the water. I am looking at fitting a Minn Kota elecric, for fishing. The Sevylor electric is way under powered by all accounts. I just need the mounting bracket from the factory unit!

11-09-2006
Submitted by: JRDSend Email

I recently bought a Sevylor Colorado Canoe and I have a mixed review. The boat is very comfortable. But it doesn't track well and it can be a real chore to go a couple hundred yards in it. With every stroke, you go left or right twice the distance you go forward. I'm trying to rig up a skeg to help, but the company doesn't make one for this model. The customer service folks at Sevylor are very nice, which doesn't make up for the fact that they don't know squat about their products. It lists as having three directional strakes, which is true if you count one of them twice. They are of the semi-hard rubber variety and came delivered to my home badly distorted. The boat paddles well in tandem (with canoe oars) but paddles poorly solo with a kayak paddle and turns a perfect circle with a solo canoe oar. If you're planning on fishing off of this boat and buying the trolling motor then maybe this would be o.k. but otherwise I'd look for something else.

08-21-2006

I recently purchased a Colorado KCC 335. I have to say I am impressed with this little boat! I have only had it for a couple months but what I've used it for has performed way beyond my expectations. Very stable in whitewater and a dream on flat.

03-02-2006

This is a inflatable two person canoe that has sit on top style seats in it and storage front and rear. I absolutley love this boat, its stable and fun. Rated up to class 3 rapid, and nice on flat water. Using a hand pump it take s aproximatly 20 min to inflate and is faster with electric. Stores in supper nice bag and is excelent for apertment living. I would strongly recommend this to any apartment dweller /canoer!