Product Reviews > Accessories > PaddleBoy Scupper Pup Kayak Cart Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for PaddleBoy Scupper Pup Kayak Cart

Research Carts, Portaging & Launching in the Buyers' Guide!
Carts, Portaging & Launching
View Carts, Portaging & Launching in Buyers' Guide

09-15-2010

I really should rate this a 1 since it suffers from a fatal flaw (keep reading) but the IDEA of this cart is great, when it works it's great, but alas, it suffers from a major problem:

I use this cart to wheel my kayak just 2 short blocks from my garage to a smooth landing ramp into the LA river. Sure it sees a couple bumps in the pavement along the way, but nothing off-road. Even with near-ideal conditions.. THE WHEELS FALL OFF AT AN ALARMING RATE. Yes, you read correctly, I will be dragging my boat down the street and all of a sudden the cart will collapse as the wheel falls off. The design simply does not work as intended, which will probably not surprise you when you see that just a little ramped piece of plastic and a spring is all that holds the wheels onto the axle.

Luckily I have managed to find the little plastic piece and metal spring each time a wheel has fallen off, but it's only a matter of time before I have a breakdown and lose one of those little pieces and at that point I will be totally hosed.

06-09-2009

I unfortunately bought 2 of these to use with 2 Tarpon 160i's. Yes they work fine on pavement. But the first trip on river rock (medium size 6-8") and they were trippin all over themselves. Not well made either, already one hex screw stripped out after the boat tipped over. I would send em back but Outdoor Play's return policy is NOT customer friendly at all. Don't recommend them either, wish I would have bought at Austin Kayak they are awesome.

04-30-2008
Submitted by: PeteySend Email

I purchased my Scupper Pup with my Hobie Quest. I have used it several times now on various surfaces; rocky, dirt/rock, pavement and am quite pleased with it. Very maneuverable and steady. Will use it on sand next week at Monterey Bay.

11-13-2005
Submitted by: ALSend Email

I purchased this for transporting my Tarpon 120 sit on top kayak from the road to the water. On my first and only use I managed to overturn the kayak. The problem is that the 2 wheels work independently; they are not affixed together so the whole mechanism is really wobbly. It works fine on a flat surface like a road, but as soon as you take it off road, down an embankment, or across an uneven surface watch out.

Swift Canoe & Kayak: