Product Reviews > Accessories > Rack and Roll Trailer Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Rack and Roll Trailer

Rated: 8.11/10 Based On: 28 Reviews

Research Roof Racks and Trailers in the Buyers' Guide!
Roof Racks and Trailers
View Roof Racks and Trailers in Buyers' Guide

10-09-2014
Submitted by: ChristianSend Email

I had many problems with parts arriving broken (dings on fenders, core barrel in key locks broken, lights blowing the fuse, punctured spare tire), and the wiring even had a one-way connection plug that had been wired incorrectly by the manufacturer (the license plate light intermittent with the blinkers on, so half the trailer was wired up-side-down). Fortunately i purchased from a reputable vendor who got me the missing/broken pieces. I was able to fix the remainder myself. Still not a pleasant out-of-the-box experience.
Would have also designed some things better (tongue pinches cables, wiring gets lost inside tongue, tongue is a little long if only carrying bikes, etc). Otherwise it is sturdy and should last a lifetime now that it is set up right.

I agree with another reviewer that it is unfortunate you cannot dunk it underwater; i have a big Hobie tandem kayak which I have to disassemble completely just to pull off the trailer (backing into a boat ramp would have been am easier option), but on the plus side it handles very nicely on the highway.

08-01-2014
Submitted by: BruceSend Email

I bought the Yakima Rack and Roll trailer to haul and launch two kayaks. The overall design is very good as is the construction. Assembly is not too difficult although the instructions provided by Yakima leave a lot to be desired and parts were missing and a light was broke with the trailer I received.

It does come apart in a few minutes time to store in very little space if desired. The cross bars work with all the Yakima rack items so it can be used to transport boats, bicycles, and a storage bin. I added a conduit carrier under the cross bars to transport the Hobie sales and masts with the boats.

Assembly requires having a variety of tools including a couple of 8" spanners or a 16mm, 18mm, 21mm, and 22mm wrench, and pliers and Phillips screwdriver, 5mm hex wrench, torque wrench, and 16mm socket.

Oddly some of the electrical connections use watertight fittings and others do not. I used dielectric grease and heat shrink tubing to make the fitting watertight. This is the primary shortcoming of the Yakima trailer for boating use. It cannot be put into the water to launch or retrieve a boat the way that the Malone and other true boat trailers are designed to do.

Customer service from Yakima after the sale is non-existent. Every time I phoned Yakima I was put on hold and they do not respond to messages left on the customer service line. Pick a good dealer or you will have no support at all for your trailer.

The Yakima has its positive attributes but the inability to put it into the water is a big drawback and had I realized it had this shortcoming I would have bought something else.

10-23-2013
Submitted by: Scot WhyteSend Email

We bought our Rack and Roll trailer 3 years ago. Everything about it has been as expected with one very frustrating exception: the wiring. We were heading out on a local kayaking excursion this spring when I noticed that when I touched the brakes the panel lights went out. We pulled over and discovered that the brake and turn lights were operating only intermittently if at all. So we headed home.

After a few frustrating weeks waiting for a new wiring harness, the local Yakima dealer spent a few hours repairing the wiring with success. The wiring harness then arrived and we kept it just in case. Well, guess what. Last week we loaded up to head out with the kayaks and found during a lights test (which I do every time now) that we have the same problem again. Another kayaking day that didn't happen. So I get out the wiring harness only to find that it is too short. Ok, but I thought I would plug it all in outside the trailer tongue to see if the new harness was going to be the fix. It isn't!! So here we are with a trailer that we don't trust and unknown problems.

The main problem is that we can't find ourselves rolling along the freeway at night or any other time with no brake or turn lights strictly from a safety point of view. The local dealer was quite helpful if ultimately unsuccessful in the repairs. Yakima less so. We'll see how this next experience is. I'm not hopeful.

09-02-2013
Submitted by: DavidSend Email

I bought my 66" Yakima Rack and Roll trailer in June, 2012. After assembling the trailer, I initially had an intermittent problem with one of the rear directional/stop lights. The company I purchased the trailer from was very responsive and sent me a new wiring harness and light to correct the issue.

This afternoon (8/31/13), I took the wheels off so I could clean and re-grease the wheel assembly parts. While I had the wheels off, I noticed that one of them was severely deformed ... this is after 1 year of use and less than 1,000 miles of driving at a maximum speed of 60 m.p.h. Unfortunately, due to the holiday, it will be another 3 days before I can speak to anyone - no kayaking this holiday!

08-16-2013

I have had my Rack and Roll trailer for three years now so I think I am reaching the point I can give a reasonable review. The trailer arrived in 4 or 5 boxes and took a couple of hours to assemble. The instructions were clear and the parts were all of high enough quality and close enough tolerance that it went together smoothly. A torque wrench was the only tool needed that was at all unusual.

Basic design and construction quality were excellent. The only modification I did was to install the tongue extender so that it would accommodate my QCC700. I got the unit with the shorter cross bars which still had plenty of room for two boats on Malone J-racks and a rack for my recumbent bike in between.

I am not a quality control engineer but in three years and many thousands of miles there have been zero issues. I drag it a couple of hundred miles weekly to get to good boating water. Several of my fellow kayakers have borrowed it for long trips to the Great Lakes so that four people and their boats can go together. Again – no issues. One person was sufficiently enamored the he bought one too.

It is very light and easy to roll. I drive into my double garage at the top of a hill and unhook the trailer to pull it into the other half of the garage. Several times I have been pinned into a location where I could not back it up so I just unhook it and roll it to a better spot. I pull it behind a Honda Civic with no appreciable loss of mileage and no obvious impact on drivability of this small car. I use it for 90% of my kayak transport needs and only use the roof rack for unusual situation (like when someone else it driving it across country).

The only down side I can see to this unit is that it is expensive but given the savings in physical therapy on using an old back by not loading boats on the roof and not having to replace a boat because a wind gust blew it off the roof before it could be tied down (I know I am not the only one here) it has been a reasonable investment.

12-03-2010
Submitted by: eskmrolSend Email

The R&R recall kit, supplied from the crack government & Yakima engineering team, includes a new longer axle and a slotted nut (sometimes called a castle nut because it resembles the top of a castle) designed to be held in place with a cotter pin. Because some idiot forgot to tighten his axle nut and the wheel fell off, the government issued a safety recall.

The "fix" is a ridiculous engineering snafu. If you ever have a flat tire, you must carry needle-nose pliers and/or metal cutters to remove the "recall supplied" cheap ass cotter pin, which is located on the inside of the frame and requiring you to crawl on your hands and knees under the trailer for access. Yakima supplied the smallest (Made in Taiwan) cotter pin when they should have supplied a hitch pin clip, also referred to as hairpin cotter pins, which are spring-style cotter pins that facilitate rapid assembly and dis-assembly. I went to Home Depot and purchased .093 x 1-5/8 Hitch Pin Clips (~ 70 cents/each) and can now easily remove the wheel and reuse the hitch pin with any new tire. I pity the fool who has the misfortune of a R&R flat tire!

10-05-2010
Submitted by: Kayak BobSend Email

I bought a KD78 about a year before Yakima bought the company. I had a tire failure on a trip, and when back checking the load rating, it became apparent that the company didn't know how to calculate load ratings. The company had initially rated the KD78 at 350 lbs, but quickly reduced it to 300 lbs, and that needs to be reduced further if you attach anything to the trailer, such as a spare time or tongue jack. Making matters worse, the wheels and tires were designed for use on a scooter, and the tires aren't even approved by the DOT for sale in the USA. The DOT numbers on the tires only identify where the tires are made, not an actual DOT approval. These tires are not safe above scooter speeds. When I confronted RAR about this, they concedes the tires were not safe above 55 mph. I tried to get the DOT to consider these issues, but I was disappointed to find out there must first be an accident, and even then accidents without personal injuries are of less interest to them. RAR finally agreed to accept the trailer back for a 90% refund, but then kept stalling until they finally told me they had sold the company. Yakima stepped up to the plate and followed thru on the refund, and now I just found out the trailer has been hit by a SECOND recall! If you want to use this trailer, do not load it up to its full rating, and replace the tires with motorcycle tires. Of course no motorcycle tire company will sanction this use though, trailer use is a special category, passenger cars tires don't even carry the correct "ST" rating.

11-28-2009

Bought the trailer in early spring of this year, '09. I probably have 2000 mile on it by now. Very impressed with engineering and parts. Everything fit together perfectly. Very easy to assemble by myself. No rocket science here. I bought some car mudflaps made of black ABS plastic and cut them to fit the trailer's fenders because mud was being sprayed on our boats, road construction near home. I bought a high quality jack stand wheel for the trailer that works very nice. Just roll the thing by hand across the concrete floor of the barn.

When I installed the tongue extension I drilled out the trailer to accept the same larger sized bolts supplied with the tongue extension. Put our Thule Slipstream car rack on the trailer, nice! I pull it behind our Honda Element and our brand new little Honda Fit. Can't even tell it's there. The best feature of all with this trailer is the light weight suspension. Unlike all other kayak trailers, when you hit a bump or a pothole with a Rack & Roll the boats just rock up and down endo-wise. Sorta like the suspension on an old fashion baby buggy. The trailer's wheels never leave the ground. Most other trailers are design to carry much more than couple hundred pounds, and when they hit a pothole they bounce up off the road and thud back to the pavement. That's tough on glass boats! With a CD Titan and an Impex Currituck, and one of those black body boxes for carrying gear we can't possibly have more than 250 pounds on the trailer. I don't think the tongue weight of the loaded trailer is over 50 pound either.

It costs a ton of money, almost 3 grand, but worth every penny. Make sure you lock the trailer to the ball hitch and the ball hitch to the receiver, then you know the trailer will still be in the parking lot when you take-out. Never have to worry about the boats. It's simple to back up to a boat ramp or turn around, especially with the tongue extension. Our boats are near or at 18 feet long, thus the need for the tongue extension. With two repaired shoulders it so cool to drive down the boat ramp, put the trailer wheels to the edge of the water, lift the bow of the boat up 3' and slide it on the trailer. How cool is that! No more lifting the boats to the car's roof top, and it's so much easier to put straps on at waist level. No more climbing around on the car. I always put 2 Thule straps on the hull and two ratchet lines on the bow and stern. with a red flag clipped to the stern of one of the boats. Another neat thing with this trailer is if you go to unknown put-ins for the first time, or say you get lost on a little two track trial and it dead ends and there's no place to turn around. Simply take off the trailer. Turn the car around and put the trailer back on. It's that light and easy to move around by hand. Believe me, I've done it a few times!

I'll give it a strong 10 outa 10. Couldn't be happier. Only thing hard to do was spend the money, but afterwards, very pleased!

08-07-2009

We purchased the trailer two months ago from a local bike shop in the Pittsburgh area. It was delivered to them in less than a week, they assembled it for free, and it has been great. Well built and engineered!

We have two 12' kayaks and two bike racks on it and pull it with a midsized car. It tracks perfectly and handles bumps flawlessly. You have to keep looking back to remind yourself you are actually pulling a trailer, it is so smooth. I can even use it as a cart to hand deliver the kayaks to the shore. I have looked at other trailers, but none come close to the Rack and Roll. It is important to follow instructions during assembly about lubricating the pins for the wheels so they can be removed when you want to change a flat, or remove the wheels for storage.

I would recommend the Rack and Roll for anyone who wants to save their back and not lift the kayaks onto their car roof.

03-23-2009
Submitted by: ESSend Email

Easy to put together(1hr). Mine is a 2009 so I don't know if they have addressed issues already noted. The directions state to apply grease to the pins for ease of inserting/removing and I have had no problems with them. I would buy again

10-06-2008
Submitted by: CathyKayakSend Email

I bought the Rack and Roll trailer online in September 2007 from a company in NC as they advertised free shipping. A little challenging to put it together by myself, but it was well worth it. I have used it quite a few times this year and it is great. As a female kayaker, this trailer is just perfect for me. It is easy to use as a cart and also easy to tow behind my small SUV. I keep my kayaks in the backyard and I can just pull the trailer by hand down to the driveway with the kayaks on it and hook it up to my car easily. I had a few minor problems with the trailer, but the company’s customer service is just great and they sent me what I needed at no charge. Plus... I had not sent in my warranty card back when I bought the trailer and they still took care of me. Make sure you get the extra wheel to support the trailer evenly when not hitched to the car, this is a great asset. I just love my Rack and Roll trailer and I highly recommend it.

08-04-2008

Initial review - purchased in July 08.
We traveled over 700 miles to WI to purchase the RAR trailer. Before leaving the dealer we found the spare tire to be flat. Unfortunately, we headed out of town a bit on the interstate looking for a gas station so we could fill the tire as the dealer did not have a compressor. To our dismay, the spare tire did not fill so we were SOL if we got a flat. We continued on to MN and stopped for the night. In the morning a motel guest pointed out that our left tire was flat. So, we had to get both tires patched before completing our trip home. We contacted the dealer and they sent out a new tire plus reimbursed us for the tire patching. The new spare did not match the other tires and the cap was cracked so we just changed the cap out. Thus our initial introduction to the RAR was a little rocky.

That being said, so far I do like the trailer. I haven't tried to conquer the art of trailer backing (let the husband do it) but I feel comfortable unhitching it and I am able to lift it with a canoe and kayak on it. I changed out the square bars for longer round bars. We can also use our Thule Ascent gear box on it. It does drive smoothly and if we don't have any more incidents with it I should be happy with it. It is a good gear solution for me as I downsized from an SUV to the smaller vehicle. Now, I can still carry all my rec toys and get decent gas mileage.

The reason for my rating it 8 so far is because of the tire issues putting us at risk and my disappointment at getting something defective right at the get go. Also, I wasn't sure if the trailer would work with my Pontiac Vibe and I contacted the company twice before making my purchase and received no return email. I also sent the company an email just letting them know about our initial experience with their trailer and how the dealer handled the matter and received no comments or apology for our difficulties. To me that shows a disinterest in their customers. Always carry your tools with you!!!

As for their advertising it as SEXY....I'd rather have it be sturdy and reliable :) .

07-14-2008

Have had this trailer for a year and have about 5,000 miles on it so far - NO problems ever. I store it between cars in my 2-car garage simply taking off the tongue and putting blocks under the wheels to keep it upright. Have talked to customer service several time (to purchase extra parts to add 2 additional bars) - always extremely friendly and prompt. A bit pricey but well worth it to me - saves gas when towing, saves my back as I no longer need to lift onto the top of my Jeep. Saves time for trips - load the trailer in the carriage the night before - then simply hand roll it out, connect to the Jeep and off you go. I created a removable stand that connects to the front of the trailer without the tongue installed to make it easier to use in the garage - makes it easier to install the tongue as well.

06-16-2008
Submitted by: Dan

We have a rack an roll trailer set up to carry 2 16" Hobie Kayaks on J carriers on the outsides with a Thule cargo box on the inside. To accommodate the 16' kayaks without adding a tongue extension we added an extension to the hitch.

So far it has been great, we have used it 20 times, 45min to 1hour each way at highway speeds. You really don't know it is there. The kayaks are strapped to the trailer, not just the jay carriers and we have the fronts of the boats tied to the tongue, which adds stability. It is very nice not to have to unload and load the kayaks at the house and move them to a storage area. We just put the trailer in the garage, they are nicely stored in the shade and we can just hitch up and go in minutes. AT the launch,it's nice that we don't have to lift the heavy boats very high.

The company service has been excellent. They told us about the recall, supplied the part and gifts for installing it. Nice people.

06-12-2008
Submitted by: Scott BrandSend Email

The trailer looks nice but it is poorly constructed. The parts do not fit together properly. One critical metal locking piece broke in two pieces during assembly when very light pressure was applied. For the price they could definitely build it better. I notice they had recall due to a safety defect (see 4-02-08 posting).

06-11-2008
Submitted by: S. BrandSend Email

I have to agree with xwarrior26 about the Rack and Roll. It is not made well. I found pieces broken that had to be replaced. The product seems to be made cheaply which is a surprise considering the high cost. I know this trailer looks great but it is not made that great.

06-10-2008

I bought a Rack N Roll trailer to tow behind my 2005 Goldwing Motorcycle and so far I am very pleased. I have towed my kayak on it a couple of times and our mountain bikes. I plan on buying a Yakima Box for it and leave room for one kayak so I can take some extended trips. Towing it has not been as difficult as I thought considering that there's 17 feet of kayak behind me - I just need to remind myself to take wider turns. I get a lot of looks as I'm going down the highway too. My gas mileage drops a bit from 41 to about 35 but then it's a heck of a lot better then the 15 mpg my truck gets

06-04-2008

This is an update of my review from 5/5/2008.
After a couple more phone calls to Rack and Roll they finally addressed the issues to my lock issue by sending me replacement locks. I'm a little peeved that they didn't bother to send instructions to replace them but I did get it figured out myself. Also, I finally received the parts I needed to apply the part required for the recall they announced for the KD trailers. That wasn't too bad to install and they gave their customers some comp stuff to make up for our time and effort which was highly appreciated. My dealer did have to replace a fender that was scratched and cracked when I took delivery of the trailer and when the part finally arrived they discovered that the pre-drilled hole for the lights on the side of the fender were much, much smaller than the original fender hole but that was a pain for the dealer to deal with not mine but still - it's an FYI for those of you that may need to get replacement parts for them. Make sure to ask if the parts are the same circumference, measurements etc otherwise - you'll have to perform "surgery" on your replacement part.

Now that everything is finally done and good to go - I ordered the trailer in March but didn't get it until May - I will have to say that its a great trailer. In my opinion, yeah, it is very expensive but the trailer is made with good material. You get what you pay for....

Here's some tips -

1. The holes where you put the pin in that allows you to join the trailer and tongue needs to be filed down per Rack and Roll. This makes it easier for the pin to be inserted. I just sanded mine down using sandpaper made for metal and a dowel.
  2. Another tip I learned is in order to make it easier for everything, like the pins and locks to fit together you would definitely want to insert the pins in and secure it in place before you lock them down. There's three locks, one to join the tongue and trailer and two to join the wheels and shock absorbers.
  3. Finally, the wiring on the trailer isn't perfect so you'll definitely want to use either electrical tape or even better, liquid electrical tape to protect the exposed wires - not the connectors of course.

05-05-2008

Pros - There's no doubt that its a great trailer. I took it out yesterday and used the foam blocks for now to test it and it worked great. It was a dream to finally not have to wrestle my kayak off and on from the top of my truck. And yes, I can barely tell that I'm pulling the trailer behind me. Storage? Oh my gosh - yes it does store flat against the wall - I have a truck and car in my garage and this trailer stores in there with no problem.

Cons? I have a few, if you've visited the Rack and Roll website before they have a video of this woman who seems to have no problem breaking the trailer down. When I did it, I had lot of trouble removing the pin that connected the tongue to the trailer, I also had trouble removing the pins that connected the wheels and the shock absorber to the main trailer although it wasn't quite as bad as the tongue and trailer. There are locks that connect the tongue to the trailer and the wheels and shock absorber to the trailer. Those were a nightmare to remove, you have to push down on the handles really, really hard to unlock them. Yesterday, it took me about 30-40 minutes to put it all together because of the lock and pin issue I mentioned earlier. It almost seems like the holes on the trailer are just a tad bit too small for the pin and yes, I made sure they were aligned properly. On the storage side of things - the license plate doesn't quite align to the pre-existing holes on the trailer so I had to use zip ties to attach them - what does that have to do with storage? Well - if you store the trailer upright - when you attach the license plate its about ankle height so if you're not looking where you're going you can easily scrape your ankle/leg against it. And yes, I definitely emailed Rack and Roll about this. We'll see what they say.

04-02-2008
Submitted by: Rackand Roll

NOTICE: A defect relating to motor vehicle safety exists in certain RACKandROLL KD model trailers made in 2005, 2006, and part of 2007. The trailer’s Center Rail (behind the tongue) may break due to metal fatigue with overloading or after extreme mileage and stress. If the Center Rail breaks without warning, your trailer will separate from your tow vehicle and could crash, causing property damage, injury, or death. Please contact us immediately at 888-935-9350 for a free Safety Upgrade Kit.

01-15-2008

As a female paddler the Rack N Roll has been so easy for me to use, I can lift it and stow it myself. The incline it takes is great for the lagoons around here and I have never had a problem maneuvering it! The large wheels grant me the opportunity for a little "off-roading" where my previous trailer couldn't have handled the terrain based off of height alone. I have carried bikes, Thule luggage boxes and up to 6 kayaks!!

09-15-2007

I purchased the Rack and Roll trailer earlier this spring. I carried 2 kayaks on my roof rack for 1 week, then looked for a trailer. The main 2 reasons I purchased the Rack and Roll was the 16" tires and it solved my storage problem. It's great! After I assembled it there was a crack in the right fender. I didn't know if I did it or it happened during shipping. I call the customer service and right away she said they have had some problems with the right fender. I received another one in a week.

The license plate protrudes out further than the trailer. This was an issue in a earlier post. I purchased a brass hinge and mounted it using an extra square headed bolt in the slot. Drilled holes in the furnished bracket, it now it folds up against the frame.

With the 16" tires you can roll the trailer and boats to the water. It's surprising how much of an incline you can get up and down. You get what you pay for and for me it's worth the price.

09-11-2007
Submitted by: KMLSend Email

I bought the RackandRoll KD trailer approx one year ago and it has been an excellent investment of my recreational dollars. No more lifting kayaks up onto the roof of my Jeep! Loading and unloading is so easy and convenient. Everywhere I go kayaking, people stop to admire this trailer and all of the features it offers.

07-30-2007

I decided to wait till I got back from a recent trip with this trailer to write this review. I had used the trailer perhaps half a dozen times to go to local rivers before taking it on a 1300-mile trip (Florida to North Carolina), during which the trailer was connected for all but perhaps 100 miles, over both interstate at 70 mph and rutted, ill-maintained 2-lane roads, as well as both dirt roads and gravel inclines.

I am 5'2. We bought a Nissan Xterra. Obviously, carrying the boat on top of the car was simply not an option for me. I researched trailers and it seemed that in terms of durability and road-worthiness, the Rack and Roll was the only choice.

It made the trip to NC and back in great form. The manufacturers make it clear that if the trailer is going to fail, it will fail in the tires, so I was very particular about checking the pressure and inflating every morning that it was being driven. One tire held the pressure pretty consistently, the other was always down by 7 lbs after sitting overnight. We will be taking that tire to be checked for a leak. I'm sure it can be fixed, and given that this trailer was a year old when I bought it (it was a demo), this cannot be held against the manufacturer.

It follows the car very closely so there is no need to compensate with wide turns, etc. I normally take a 14-foot kayak on it, but for the NC trip I had a 15' boat on it.

Yes, this trailer is expensive, but isn't reliability on the road, and therefore your safety, worth a little extra expense? I highly recommend this trailer.

06-08-2007

Now that we have three kayakers in the house, we needed a way to transport them all at once without using two cars. We decided on a Rack and Roll trailer. The purchase has been quite an adventure.

The nearest dealer was about 100 miles from our home, so I arranged for the purchase by telephone. The dealer offered us a floor model, which included an optional spare tire, for a significant discount, so I paid for the trailer and arranged to pick it up after work one day the following week.
When I arrived at the dealer's, the trailer was waiting, a little shopworn but as described. The "fun" started when the trailer was hooked to my van and blew several fuses. In the process of deciding whether my wiring or the trailer's wiring was at fault, they hooked the trailer to someone's truck, and of course several of their fuses blew. By this time it was getting dark, and I had to drive a long way home, so they came up with replacement fuses for me and I left, sans trailer. (Hint: if you tow a trailer you'll probably need spare fuses at some point, so buy a kit and keep it in your vehicle.)
The dealer called a few days later to say that they'd disassembled the trailer and found several of the wires pinched between elements of the frame. The trailer essentially was a dead short, which of course led to the blown fuses. It took them a week or so to "fix" the wiring. (Hint: if you assemble one of these yourself, be very careful not to pinch the wires when assembling the frame.)
Back we went to pick up the trailer. We were happy to see the lights come on and stay on, and at our request one of the dealer's employees escorted us to an inspection station to make sure the trailer passed inspection. We drove home.
Somewhere between the inspection station and home some of the lights stopped working. No way we were going to drive 100 miles back, so I pulled out a multimeter and started checking the wiring. Sure enough, the wire that powers the left turn / left brake light was open somewhere inside the trailer.
I called the dealer, who instructed me to take it to a local trailer shop and send him the bill. The bill turned out to be $80 - when they opened up the trailer they found that several of the wires were scuffed up, so they replaced the entire wiring harness.

So, would I recommend the trailer? I would, but make sure you buy from a reputable dealer. Even despite the problems I felt that the dealer did try to resolve our problems, but perhaps some of his employees were less than competent with mechanical/electrical assembly. I also recommend buying from a dealer as close to your home as possible (in our case the next closest dealer was 200 miles away.) As for the trailer itself, it does work very well, and there are really few alternatives if you want to transport 3 or 4 kayaks. Towing the trailer is very easy as it is very light weight. (Hint: you'll want to tie red / reflective flags to the back of your boats since they will stick out several feet behind the trailer's lights - this will also help you when passing other cars.)
My rating would have been 9 had I not had the problems with this particular trailer.

04-16-2007

Last Friday my wife and I took the boats with us to work so that we could put in as soon as possible that afternoon. With the trailer packed in the garage the night before we can easily get an early start. The mechanical engineers at the plant were all over this trailer. They were blown away with the high quality welds, the suspension system, the gorgeous wheels and the modular construction.

I've had my RackandRoll out a couple of times now and am completely delighted with the performance. So far I am down to five minutes break-down time. This includes removing the wheels and securing the trailer to the garage wall. The securing levers at the break points all have key locks.

I really enjoy having a trailer and am thrilled to have my RackandRoll, but I never write a review without finding something negative to say. I'll do what I can to nitpick, but it's a stretch! Probably brings my true rating down to 9.9.

The bars only separate by 4 feet. Probably a good tradeoff between spacing and trailer weight/cost, but if all else were equal, I would rather have 5 feet for my sea kayaks.

The wiring for the taillights was dressed in a simple loop with a cable tie. I felt the need to dress it up with a couple more ties. The butt connectors in this wiring are exposed to road splash, so I covered them with some liquid electrical tape.

The license plate is just a stainless bracket with a couple of holes for the plates top holes. License plates are thin these days, at least in my state. And when the trailer is stored in my garage, the plate sticks out at ankle height. I bought a license plate frame to protect the plate and passersbys. And I added a some aluminum plate to the back of the frame for a little more strength. The trailer, license, locks and Thule gear are expensive. But you really get what you pay for in this case. Or, sometimes, what your wife pays for and gives you for your birthday! __big grin__

By the way, I agree with the previous review that the manufacturer's customer support is absolutely SUPURB! Fast and very effective, even with questions that have to be referred to engineers. You wind up feeling like you have a friend looking out for you!

12-04-2006

Wow! I purchased a RackandRoll Kayak Trailer. It is a work of art and belongs in my house. Of course my wife won't agree so I'll leave it outside...for now. It's too pretty and too cool to use. The fit and finish is as close to perfect as anything I've ever seen and finding flaws is what I do for a living, as well as for fun. It has an independent suspension and dampened shocks with coil over springs, awesome. It probably has a more comfortable ride than my truck. It's prettier too. I have the 66 inch cross bars, which came with the trailer, on the trailer right now. I am still thinking about getting the 78 inch bars.

I have Yakima Mako saddles in the middle with Yakima Hull Raisers on the outboard sides. I can carry three boats. If I get the longer bars, four boats. It was a great idea marrying The Thule and Yakima systems to a trailer. These systems really coddle your boat and are a perfect addition to a kayak trailer. The trailer is totally foldable and even has wheels on the leading ends of the trailer in order to help you move the trailer around in the garage once folded.

This trailer has it all and is very well thought out. It is very light and is very easy to move around with it's sixteen inch aluminum wheels and wide tires. I purchased the spare tire, complete with the same "bad to the bone" wheel (not like my truck which came with a metal wheeled spare). I have also ordered the trailer extension so that I can pull my 22 ft. tandem. The trailer is a roof rack that you pull. Bringing it home from the dealer's shop, I didn't even know it was back there. It pulls that good. I am tired of lifting boats onto my tall SUV and then climbing all over the truck in order to tie them down. RackandRoll is just that. The owner, Patrice, was/is a delight to work with and made my puchase experience even better.

I guess I'll have to use my trailer but it seems like a shame to use it...I still think it belongs in the house. My kayak buddies are going to be green with envy but I know they'll smile real big when I tell them I am going by their houses to pick them up. The trailer, it's not cheap, and I think I may have cried that line to Patrice more than once, but the trailer is in a class by itself.

09-22-2005

We picked up a Rack and Roll trailer to haul extra boats with our smallish cars (Toyota p/u and Honda CR-V). The trailer has a capacity of 250 lbs or 4 boats. It comes with Yakima style crossbars (Thule fits too) and accepts the standard kayak stackers and other accessories. The stackers and some foam pipe insulation and we were set to go. I got the optional tongue extender, for boats over 18', and it made it real nice, allowing the back door of the Honda to open even with the trailer online. It looks a lot like a kayak rickshaw!

Traveling down the road you don't even know it's back there. It is very well designed and quite sturdy. Shock absorbers, mag wheels, lifetime bearings, anodized aluminum construction, etc. sweet! And when you are done it all takes apart and packs away in the garage! I can't think of one thing I would change.