Product Reviews > Accessories > Thule 881 Topdeck Saddle Set Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Thule 881 Topdeck Saddle Set

Rated: 6.8/10 Based On: 5 Reviews

Research Roof Racks and Trailers in the Buyers' Guide!
Roof Racks and Trailers
View Roof Racks and Trailers in Buyers' Guide

06-08-2010
Submitted by: RonSend Email

Picked these up as I was too tired of wrestling my OK Scupper Pro into the J-racks. They work great. The kayak fits perfectly. While they have no adjustments other than location on the cross bars, they are a great product for the money. I have 6 other kayaks. If the hull doesn't conform to the saddles. I'll just flip the kayak over as the decks will fit.

02-13-2009

A good inexpensive saddle kit for your kayak. They are not adjustable in any way and other reviewers marked them down because if this, reasoning that the saddles don't conform to the shape of a kayak hull. I've used mine for several trips with a plastic kayak and have had no problems with denting. I can move the rack bars on my Thule tracks to adjust the saddles to the shape of my kayak, strap it down snug and have had no negative issues.

I have a pair of Yakima Land Shark's paired with a pair of Thule Set 'n Go saddles on the other side for a second kayak, a nice combo that works well, but the Thule Topdeck saddles are just as good and cost less. Go for it. It's simple and it works.

08-11-2008

We just bought and returned these kayak saddles. They were relatively inexpensive so we thought we'd try them out. Unfortunately, these saddles are not adjustable. Unless your kayak's hull fits perfectly on the saddles, there will be pressure points and you will damage the hull when you tighten the tie-down straps.

04-23-2007
Submitted by: rpaSend Email

The saddles are NOT flexible. Your kayak must be the exact shape of the saddles for this to work. I own a Cobra Fish n Dive, and boat will only rest on the top of the saddles no matter where the saddles are moved. I'm taking mine back and ordering a Thule 878xt X 2. Hopefully they will be more adjustable.

09-07-2005

I have used many different setups now, and these are the best, in my opinion, for the $. They can be used on Yakima, Thule or factory racks. They are easily set for most boats, and they really grab the hulls. I can load/unload my boat without problems. I do put a towel on the rear saddles because once they've grabbed hold of the kayak, they don't like to let go. The towel lets the kayak slide easily on or off my rack. The only downside is that the attachment handles for tightening the saddles are small and hard to get a good grip on. If they were made like Yakima’s design, these would be getting a review of 10. I love them. They even work good on tri-hull kayaks if you load them with the hull up. Kudos to Thule for this product!!