Product Reviews > Kayaks > Dagger > Element 10.0 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Element 10.0 Kayak by Dagger

Rated: 9.5/10 Based On: 4 Reviews

04-13-2011
Submitted by: Nick PSend Email

I've had my Element 10.0 for about a year now, and am absolutely loving it. I'm a big bloke (18st and 6ft) and found a lot of beginner's kayaks too unstable, but this one is fantastic. Obviously, for the stability you trade a little maneuverability, but I have been on busy rivers, quiet lakes and in the waves with this one and it has proved to be an excellent all-rounder. In general, I'd recommend this as a first boat to anyone!

01-09-2007

I purchased my Element in June - it's my first Kayak. I had some canoe experience and had paddled a friend's Swifty before buying my Element. It tracks well and is much faster than a lot of beginner boats that I have paddled. A little extra rigging added to the back and it carries all the gear I need for a day-long trip. It's light enough for me to load it myself. I only wish it had a little more storage - I am 5'9" and there is only room for a lunch sack sized dry bag ahead of my feet - storage below the stern is not really accessible until you get out of the boat. It has been a great boat to learn on and I am fully confident when putting beginners in it.

12-15-2006

Iíve had my Element 10.0 about 10 months and love it. Iím 51, 5í8í and weigh 180. I also paddle a Wavesport Y that I bought about 5 months ago. Iíve been kayaking about a year and have canoed for a long time. I tried a lot of recreational kayaks before selecting the Element 10.0. Much of my paddling is going to be in class I &I I rivers, often with canoers and family groups, so I was looking for the most maneuverable recreational kayak I could find and still be able to keep up with the canoes on flat water and carry my share of stuff. I got exactly what I was looking for. Class II rapids are very doable in the Element 10.0. I can easily execute eddy turns and learned that by leaning a little more on the turns, I can negate much of the resistance created by the rear keel/skeg during the second half of the turn. I can also surf the right size waves. It tracks very well on flat water. I fish using a small 2 piece rod that I can easily tuck inside and out of the way when I hit fast moving water.

The seat and foot rests and comfortable and easily adjustable. I like to paddle with my knees wedged in under the cockpit just as you would in a whitewater kayak, but I can comfortably paddle with my knees sticking out in front of me when I want a little stretch break. Initial stability is very good but the boat can easily take on water in even the smallest waves. I always paddle with a skirt and I highly recommend one for this kayak on anything but flat water. I use an NRS Catalina, $50. The Element is easy to exit, even with the skirt.

Another great thing I like about the Element 10.0 is that my wife and my 11 year old son both enjoyed paddling it.

My only negative comment is that the Element 10.0 did not have a drain plug, but it was easy to install a generic off-the-shelf one myself. I also considered buying the Element 11.2, but the 10.0 was significantly more maneuverable and I consider those storage hatches a negative on any boat. Iíve never met anyone who did not have one that eventually leaked. I prefer the open area underneath the deck which gives me the option of using flotation bags or dry storage bags as needed.

If you are looking for a maneuverable, versatile recreational kayak, I highly recommend the Dagger Element 10.0.

08-11-2005

I just purchased the new element 10. I havenít tried too many boats being a beginner. As with the Element 11 if there is a gust of wind your off in that direction whether you like it or not. There is plenty of cockpit room, for my size, 5' petite, but I don't know about someone with big feet. Overall I guess it is a nice beginner boat. I can get it on top of my ZR2 Blazer by myself, and am enjoying it.

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!
Rendezvous River Sports