Product Reviews > Canoes > Mohawk Canoes > Intrepid 17 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Intrepid 17 Canoe by Mohawk Canoes

Rated: 8.5/10 Based On: 6 Reviews

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

09-17-2014

We have a lot of this canoe at our Boy Scout camp (I am the Aquatics Director). We have been using them for years and they are great canoes. The newer ones are a little lighter, which is great for our smaller boys. However, the paint on the newer ones comes off just by sliding it across the sand on the beach. Also, the seats on the seats ones tend to break at the rivet points quite easily. If they would go back to the old seats and paint, I would give them a 10 - best canoe for long-term use for the money.

10-31-2013

Great boat tracks well on open water, surprisingly maneuverable on twisty narrow streams, initial and secondary stability is great, holds a lot of gear, hull is very durable, only downside is it's weight and even that's not too bad, mine was built in 1997 in Florida, from what I understand the new owners of Mohawk decided to stop making this boat, if you can find one you won't be disappointed

11-24-2003

I give the Intrepid 17 a 10 because it has been the best large boat I've ever paddled. I pracitally grew up in the I-17, after my dad died, my mom used some of the money from his business to buy the I-17. I was just 7 years old then. Once she figured out that I had surpassed her in paddling skills, she bought us these nifty knee saddles, which really improved the I-17. I've been in class 4 (no crap here guys) in that boat in the middle of January with a tarp covering my legs to keep the water off me and to keep me from getting hypothermic, and I'll be darned if that boat didn't haul some serious arse. If you're looking for long trips, the I-17 is probably right for you. In the summer of 97 a friend and I pulled off the entire Buffalo River (around 105 miles) in seven days. Carried everything we needed in the boat. Its Royalex (just about everything Moehawk is nowadays), but in 93 when we bought it, it was still pretty new. Stability gets it a 10. Mobility gets a 7. Capacity gets a 10. Memories go beyond rating for me.

08-06-2003

I first bought a cheap but new canoe and was very disappointed. The seat actually broke going through a small riffle. I then decided to spend just a little moer and bought a used 17' intrepid. We use it for a combination of stuff. We have used it in a small stream and larger river up to class III rapids to a lake as a solo. I have been able to handle the canoe on my own in all the above situations and it handled, turned and flowed through the water just fine. We are very happy and feel like we could never overload this canoe past the point of it being usable. I highly recommend this canoe. A third seat in the center also adds possibilities for another person or solo seating.

07-14-2003
Submitted by: Don VSend Email

I have owned my intrepid several years,and own and paddle several other canoes. It has tremendous initial stability and new paddlers feel very comfortable in it. It has just enough rocker to turn easily in slow twisty streams. In whitewater it is not nimble, it turns rather stiffly but it is very stable and will hold your course in large irregular waves.It is better for running rapids than playboating them.But it is dead solid stable surfing a two foot wave and corrects easily and precisely.It can easily transport two 200 plus pound men and their gear.

It is not a sleek efficient tourer, and it is not a lightweight, but it does everything else you would do in a canoe(hunting, fishing, teaching,casual paddling,and reasonable whitewater) just fine.It is rather like a well designed, well built pickup truck.Within those qualifications I would highly recommend it for the price.

07-25-1999
Submitted by: ABSSend Email

Excellent versalite boat. Boat is an good middle ground between highend Mad River's explorer or revelation and the solid workhorse of a Dagger Legend. Good tandem boat for the money.