Product Reviews > Canoes > Mohawk Canoes > Solo 13 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Solo 13 Canoe by Mohawk Canoes

Rated: 8.5/10 Based On: 8 Reviews

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

08-20-2007

I have owned a solo 13 for two years and have been pleased with it. I put in an extra thwart and have a minicell pedestal for the seat. The royalite is nice when taking on and off the truck. This boat turns nicely and does fine on class 2 and less. I also use it when I go brim fishing in the spring, just right for one person.

09-24-2004

I bought the boat used for $300 for freestyle. While it is not a particularly pretty boat (with the plastic trim) and a bit wide for my purposes it is great for the money. The boat is light and roomy for a 13-foot plastic boat. It is stable and can be turned 360 degrees in its own length without too much trouble. I took the seat out to be able to move around and it seems to work fine without the extra structure. The bottom does tend to oil can, but then the boat is light and wide. The only other boat that I can find that is close is the Flashfire, which is three times the price and has that bubble on the side. I will probably get one as I get more serious with the freestyle, but the Solo 13 is a lot of bang for the buck. A rugged, light, inexpensive boat which I do not mind leaving on my car all the time, or scraping the bottom.

02-21-2003

Bought this little gem in Spokane, #4 in the canoe stable. This for lightness (35#) and durability. As a nature photographer I am frequently cached in gnarly places and this boat gets me to them. Rode like a cork in 2 foot swells, but I have added too much tallow and it is a bit shaky with 215# reaching around for cameras and lenses. It would be a 10 but I had to add Cliff Jacobson cutwater loops for tracking in hypershallow water. But few canoes are properly outfitted for tracking anyhow.

01-30-2002
Submitted by: BertSend Email

I have paddled my Solo 13 for two seasons now. It is a dream on small, twisty creeks. It has served well as a tripping, fishing, and light whitewater canoe.

06-19-2001

The Mohawk Solo 13 is a very well-designed canoe. I also own two Bell Flashfires and an American Traders Twister. I'm in love with athletic boats and these really perform. I bought the Solo 13 for the river because I don't want my other boats near the rocks.
The Solo 13, too, is a real performer. It accelerates quickly and will turn on a dime. Off the river on quiet water it's delightful. It turns smartly and predictably, will side-pass elegantly, and has amazing glide for its length. When paddling it instead of my other "performance" canoes I don't feel I'm sacraficing anything. This is a good boat.
I won't comment on tracking because this is not important to me. I can paddle a canoe straight. My interest is in controlled turns.
I will comment on the manufacturer, though. The people at Mohawk are wonderful. I've toured their facilities and found them tidy and well-organized. Quality control is top-notch.
For my intended purpose the Solo 13 suits me perfectly.

10-21-1999
Submitted by: Jim Walsh

Practicing advanced quiet water maneuvers (freestyle) in the Solo 13 is rewarding. Heeling (banking) the canoe enough to free the ends for dramatic turns takes effort as the initial stability is very good. Excellent choice for silent exploration of shallow waterways & sneaking up on wildlife. Easy to lift & load. Low price boosts the rating to 9.

04-25-1999
Submitted by: David SmithSend Email

The solo 13 is well made and priced right.I weigh 220 lbs. and had no stability problems on class I and II rivers. On lakes it is slow. But its not a tripping or touring canoe its a good "poking around" going nowhere having fun kind of a canoe.

11-06-1998

I tried the 13 ft solo model in royalite and found it to be easy to handle and manouverable. It is easy to portage due to it's light weight. It is not as robust as royalex if used for heavy use and depth could be a problem for heavier paddlers or if used in whitewater.

OS Systems: