Product Reviews > Kayaks > Pelican International > Espirit Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Espirit Kayak by Pelican International

Rated: 8.57/10 Based On: 14 Reviews

07-25-2013

This kayak is a great starter rotomolded unit. I was concerned with reports about stability and overall usability of this kayak. Yes it is slightly tippy but after 5 minutes of use it became fairly predictable. I bought this kayak as a starter unit but intend to use it when traveling in a Truck Camper as they are fairly light and appear durable for recreational use in remote areas. Agree with comments on getting good paddle and use supplied one for backup. Haven't use the skirt yet so I can't comment on reviews that say the lip will not hold it.

01-26-2010
Submitted by: RemiSend Email

I purchased this boat last spring and used it all summer and let me say that I had way enough for the money! I paddled it almost everyday mostly at Lake William and Becancour River (province of Quebec).

It always delivered me a great performance from flat and calm waters to choppy lakes and even got me down rapids easily at multiple times! It has proven itself to be stable enough for northern pike fishing ('landed a seven pounder pike in that boat!) and tracks fairly when you get used to it.

The only concern I have 'bout the espirit is the rear hatch being wet but I don't think it was supposed to be dry anyway. Oh and the provided paddle works but is best suitable for spare paddle.

According to me it's a great all-around recreational kayak that really can suit every beginner paddler (by the way if there's any tall guys looking for it, good news I'm 6'2" 200 lbs and I love it). Great choice for those who want to start paddling without breaking the bank!

08-18-2009
Submitted by: DTSend Email

This is a very good practical kayak easy to paddle and found it to track well in a windswept swell on the sea on slow rivers and lakes, it is well equipped with handy paddle straps front straps storage compartment and foot rest. one bad point paddle is to heavy but ok as a spare, overall i am very happy with kayak indeed.

08-12-2008
Submitted by: boniSend Email

This kayak tracks very well and great stability and goes fast as well. I am very satisfied with it.

06-04-2008
Submitted by: wepSend Email

We are recreational kayakers, we have several large lakes nearby and some excellent calm to mild rivers. We needed another kayak for a growing family but didn't want to spend a mint.

Nice little kayak, easy to carry and it works great, very useable and surprisingly full of features, i.e., padded seat, drain plug, bungies, handles (front & rear), dry storage, spray skirt, and nicely decorated. The "dry" storage is wet, the paddle it came with was very lame (too short and leaks all over even with those little rubber washers), and after you stop paddling it always turns to the right. Put your stuff in a ziplock, buy a new paddle two days after purchase, and don't worry about the tracking... you'll get used to it. Otherwise, it works very nicely.

Don't let the cons deter you, it is one of the best deals going and you are sure to have a great time with it. Happy yaking!

08-13-2007

Overall I'm pleased with what I got for the money I spent. The storage leaks, I took the hatch off completely, left the straps in place to strap in one of my drycells in that space, giving me much needed storage for overnight trips. The skirt is very flimsy, any water that falls on it will pool on it; you have to constantly adjust. I was informed by sealskirts.com that they do not make skirts for that model due to the shallowness of the rim.

06-19-2006

This is my first kayak and I am pleased with what I got for the money. I have been surprised at how well the boat handles choppy lakes and even mild rapids on creeks. Tracking could be better, but I have learned to compensate with paddling technique. This kayak is short enough and light enough to either throw in the bed of a pickup or easily cartop.The large cockpit is really nice for a 6', 235 pounder like myself.

06-19-2006
Submitted by: BriSend Email

Purchased as a kit. Paddle is too short but will do. The ease of portage is great. Tracking is OK. Overall I'm happy with the purchase. The hatch is not waterproof, but there is a warning label about that. If you looking for a quick trip, with ease for a beginner and to build confidence, this is it.

03-06-2006

I've been very happy with my Esprit. Yes, I still drool over sleeker, better tracking Perception boats and there are some composite touring boats I'd sell my kidneys for, but if you just want to get in the water rather than stalking your local outdoors store, the Esprit is the way to go. The skirt and seat are a nice bonus but get yourself a decent paddle before you put in. The paddle that comes with the boat is a nice handy spare though and disassembled fits into the cockpit. I still hope I never have to use it though:) As far as tracking, I'm not 100% impressed but for a recreational tourer under $300 the Esprit truly does perform. Also, this boats sets very easily. Great to throw a new and nervous paddler in to build a little confidence!

11-09-2005

The main reason I bought this kayak was price ($279 at Pep Boys). As a beginning kayaker I didn't want to invest money in a sport I might lose interest in. I've used it all summer & fall on lakes & flatwater rivers, and I am very satisfied. It is very stable, tracks fairly well, and goes faster than I expected. It is also light enough to car-top. If you stop paddling it does change direction though. The only other problem I have with it is that the foam flotation blocks on the sides of the seat fall out very easily, so I am thinking of buying some float bags. All-in-all it is well worth the money as a beginner's boat.

07-20-2005

This is my first kayak and I recommend it for each beginner. I used it on lakes and rivers in Mauricie area (Province of Quebec) and he was doing the job well. Very cheap, got it for 395$ CAN at Costco with paddle and skirt. Pros: Very stable, track well despite my beginner paddling skill and fast. Confortable seat. Cons: The paddle included with the kayak is really too short and too heavy for an intermediate use. And, of course, the storage hatch take water when waves become too high... Write me if you got questions!

Note: Costco model is named Esprit... not espirit

07-11-2005

The Espirit is my first kayak. Great price, well made, looks decent, tracks fairly well, maneuverable, entry is easy, seat is comfortable, only problem I found is the storage leaks because you can't tighten the straps tight enough.

05-16-2005
Submitted by: tlSend Email

I just bought the Espirit also known as the (Pursuit 10 Fade) it retails for $430 I got it for a great price. I got it for $329 now that came with everything it came with the kayak, the kayak carrier, the paddle, and the spray skirt. It is the best kayak Ive kayaked in on the ocean. Even under around 2-3 feet waves coming over the bow. Now Ive tried Old Town kayaks, the 10 Loon I think, and it was not half the boat. So if you want a good kayak buy this one for price and for fun.

04-26-2005
Submitted by: JohnSend Email

I recently purchased an Espirit kayak and would highly recommend it for beginners. It seems to be very stable and tracks well. Have tried it on both an open lake and a small river with some class II rapids. What debris I couldn't avoid it slid right over.

Rendezvous River Sports