Product Reviews > Accessories > InStep Canoe Cart Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for InStep Canoe Cart

Research Carts, Portaging & Launching in the Buyers' Guide!
Carts, Portaging & Launching
View Carts, Portaging & Launching in Buyers' Guide

09-29-2008

I looked for other carriers and even tried one other, but this carrier has proven to be an excellent choice. It is well built and sturdy. It's quick to load/unload. The kick stand stabilizes the carrier while you load or unload taking all the frustration out of attaching this to the boat. The design also allows me to position the cart more to the center of the yak reducing front carrying weight making it even easier to “take my yak for a walk”. I've carried two yaks, one on top of another, simultaneously with ease. The wheels fold up for easy storage in my vehicle. The large bicycle wheels make portage over rough terrain a breeze.

I highly recommend this carrier for anyone looking for sturdiness, ease of use, and particularly if you have to move your boat and gear by yourself. When I use this I'm looked at with envy while others try to muscle their boats from car to shore or vice versa.

05-18-2007

I must say, try before you buy. I purchased online and assembled the unit, placed my boat on it and in all three positions the boat either slips to one side and hits the tire or both hit the tires. Boats with keels may want to look elsewhere or fab higher supports for this one...

09-12-2005
Submitted by: cooldoctor1Send Email

Agree with other reviewer, and add that these are on eBay for about $50. Cannot find a better cart for money. Agree with weight (I don't think mine weighs 17 lbs though), but quality is very good. Pneumatic wheels are removable so can fit in my dry storage (tightly). Mostly I simply use it, walk it back to my truck, and then walk back and paddle. This has a 200 lbs weight limit, so I can put two kayaks, one on top of other, on same carrier. Kickstand and straps included, nice package.

04-25-2005

The Instep canoe cart is one of the best portage devices available. It has large bicycle type wheels, padded multi position bunks, a kickstand for load and unload and folds into a tight package for stowing.

Once centered, my boat rides along at slightly below waist level. It's like taking the canoe out for a walk.

The only disadvantage is the weight. At 17 lbs there are lighter portage carts available. But none are so easy to use and so well made.

I have also seen similar designs that were called the "Canadian Canoe Walker".

Spirit Sails: