Product Reviews > Canoes > Lotus Designs > BJX Special Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for BJX Special Canoe by Lotus Designs

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

01-09-2006
Submitted by: KevinSend Email

This is my second canoe from Mike Galt the first was a caper which was a fine canoe indeed But I longed for a faster boat and along came a BJX so I snatched it up. As said before this is a long narrow fast canoe with a flared hull. I did not think I would like a flared hull assuming that the gunnels would get in the way of my hit switch paddling technique. Boy was I wrong since the boat is only 271/2 at the gunnels and just gets narrower. This boat really glides and I have no doubt that it will smoke a Magic. The boat was made to kneel and I like the flotation tanks to brace against while leaning. This thing flies upstream and corners like its on rails. With its flared sides the wind has little effect on it. Unfortunatly Mike Galt believed that the seat should be as high as the rails and thats Ok if your 7 feet tall in this boat. It is diffucult to see a way to drop the seat down but I figured out a way and also added a foot brace so I can sit when im not kneeling. Anyone needing info on how to do this is welcome to reply.

04-06-2005

This canoe is long and narrow. It's hard to spread your knees apart because the floatation is built into the inside of the canoe just below the adjustable seat mount.

Initial stability is spooky for a beginner because the max width is 24 3/4". The secondary is excellent for such a narrow canoe, and I'm no longer scared of dumping, though you have to stay kneeling to feel secure.

The Bardy Jones Express (BJX) has great glide. I think it has a "wall," but I'm not an aggressive enough paddler to find it. I believe with a longer paddle, one could make this canoe FLY using Mike Galt type far-reaching forward strokes.

Would it beat a Magic? Probably not. It is faster than my Bell Wildfire. About the same as my Bell Merlin II.

I've been told this canoe was designed for the Florida Everglades, and I believe it could be true. It seems okay in the wind, and appears it would hold a lot of gear (which would help the stability???).

Whoever had it before me really used it, and he used it in rocky, fast rivers from the scrapes and bruises. I think it would be EXTREMELY fast down aggressive rivers due to the length and narrow width.

It has a much different feel than a bell. More like a Swift Osprey, but not as forgiving, perhaps.

Nice, interesting design...

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!