Product Reviews > Kayaks > Perception > Monarch Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Monarch Kayak by Perception

01-29-2007
Submitted by: ak

A very good yak for the price paddles and tracks with ease even in mild chop mine has seen many a rough takeoff and landings and is still going strong.

12-01-2005
Submitted by: sdSend Email

I just wanted to add to the reviews that this boat which is sold only through Dicks Sporting Goods seems to be the same mold as the discontinued Dagger Charleston 15 model. Dagger being a sister company to Perception apparently used this model as a exclusive item for Dicks...Owning also a Montour 12 from Dicks which is a modified Blackwater 12, I am very satisfied with the quality and performance of both these kayaks in varying conditions and with the major store pricing they are great values.

11-27-2005

I got mine at Dick's Sporting Goods. This is my first kayak, but I had paddled a friendís WS Pungo 14. The Monarch was very much what I was looking for in a first boat. Ample storage, bulkheads, and a design that should do well for slow rivers and lakes. The Monarch's initial stability was not as stable as the wider Pungo 140, but I expected that. It tracks very well, even better with the skeg dropped. The seat is very comfy, and I feel rock solid in the cockpit. I had issues with the skeg, lethal edges that I sanded down, and the bungie/rope was rigged incorrectly. Easy fixes. Dick's had marked it down, and I got an additional 10% off due to some scratches, at $557 out the door I feel like I stole it.

11-02-2005
Submitted by: AAKSend Email

Somewhat of a mystery kayak since, so far as Perception's website is concerned, the boat doesn't exist. A guy at the local paddling shop figures it was a specialty model made specifically for a particular (although unknown to him) retail outlet. In any event, said paddling shop got a couple unused Monarchs in a lot they picked up from an outfitter, and I got a solid starter boat with all the features I wanted (two water tight compartments, skeg, 15') for substantially less than a semi-comparable and generally available starter kayak such as a Blackwater or Arcadia.

I agree with all that the previous reviewers have said--for the novice, a great, sturdy boat that tracks nicely and turns with ease. It has served me well this season and I imagine it will continue to do so into the future.

By way of comparison, I started kayaking in my girlfriend's old Blackwater 12', and the Monarch cuts the water much more cleanly.

10-24-2005
Submitted by: DASSend Email

My wife and I bought two of these a few months back after kayaking for one year in 9.5 Swifty's. A very nice boat for the money; easy to handle and maneuver, well tracking, tough and durable.

03-28-2005
Submitted by: MLSend Email

I'm still a novice at kayaking but found that the Monarch tracked great and felt very stable. I was also able to smoke my brother and his kayak in the speed department. I'd give this boat a 10 but I'm still getting use to it.

Rendezvous River Sports
Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!