Product Reviews > Accessories > Thermette Portable Outdoor Cooking System Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Thermette Portable Outdoor Cooking System

Rated: 8.2/10 Based On: 5 Reviews

Research Food / Cooking Supplies in the Buyers' Guide!
Food / Cooking Supplies
View Food / Cooking Supplies in Buyers' Guide

10-14-2013
Submitted by: Graeme MorrisSend Email

I've owned a Thermette for about 5 years. I opted for it over the Kelly because of it's copper construction. I'm impressed only with it's principle, but am highly disappointed with the build quality. The handles are a joke. The fire box and cooking ring are of galvanized steel, which will give off toxic fumes as they de-galvanise during use. But worst of all, I only use it to boil my shaving and washing water, as the water comes out with a brown tinge - it seems like it is getting corrupted by smoke, it has done this ever since new.

The build quality of the Kelly is far superior, I read that they will release a stainless steel model soon - thank goodness.

09-08-2011

The Thermette is cheap Chinese garbage. They must have sold their name to the Chinese. PLUS they won't give refunds.

06-30-2009

Re: new copper thermettes - these copper thermettes are absolute rubbish, they are badly constructed and and the handles can get u burned, DON'T BUY one,
as of the 5/14/09 kelly kettle have their STAINLESS kelly kettle available , btw I'm from New Zealand and I have no affiliation with kk (but I buy and sell storm kettles so I know whats crap and whats not and I wouldn't use aluminum myself....

12-22-2006
Submitted by: Mike ASend Email

A great water boiler/small stove for anybody who has a brain. Quit buying expensive fuel... it runs on wood, leaves, bark... Pretty much anything burnable. If you live in a salt-water environment, copper will stand up to salt water very well. No more fuel pumps, no more expensive fuel, no more clogged fuel lines, etc. It's amazing how simplicity has successfully stood the test of time.

03-09-2005

The Thermette is a neat device which allows the kayak camper to use small sticks and twigs to boil water thus saving "canned fuels" for cooking chores. I have found that much of the time heating water for dehydrated foods or for washing dishes uses much of the fuel carried for my stove. The Thermette uses sticks and pine cones to boil 1/2 gal of water in a surprisingly short time. When I take mine on a camping trip with our club, everyone comments on the efficiency of the unit, and ask where can I get one?